This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Maybe, but I read a report a few days ago that at least one Chinese doctor was failing to show up at a PRC constructed hospital in East Africa. I would consider watching Africa. However, I doubt that there would be the money to pay for tests of PRC people returning to PRC investments in Africa.
    . Chinese Labor data overview
    • The number of Chinese workers in Africa by the end of 2017 was 202,689, according to official Chinese sources.

• In 2017, the top 5 countries with Chinese workers are Algeria, Angola, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Zambia. These 5 countries accounted for 57% of all Chinese workers in Africa at the end of 2017.

27 African countries allow PRC people to enter without visas.

AdamRodgers, catman71 and happyguy like this.
  2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Dribs and drabs from the news:

1. Several hundred returning travelers are staying away from others while they monitor their symptoms in Seattle’s King County, where the health department is spending about $200,000 a week on efforts to contain the virus.

That is just one county.

The report says: 'Genome sequences from patients were 96% or 89% identical to the Bat CoV ZC45 coronavirus originally found in Rhinolophus affinis (intermediate horseshoe bat).'

It describes how the only native bats are found around 600 miles away from the Wuhan seafood market and that the probability of bats flying from Yunnan and Zhejiang provinces was minimal.

In addition there is little to suggest the local populace eat the bats as evidenced by testimonies of 31 residents and 28 visitors.

Instead the authors point to research being carried out withing a few hundred yards at the WHCDC.

One of the researchers at the WHCDC described quarantining himself for two weeks after a bat's blood got on his skin, according to the report. That same man also quarantined himself after a bat urinated on him.

[​IMG]
    +4
    'The WHCDC was also adjacent to the Union Hospital (Figure 1, bottom) where the first group of doctors were infected during this epidemic.' The report says.

And he also mentions discovering a live tick from a bat - parasites known for their ability to pass infections through a host animal's blood.

'The WHCDC was also adjacent to the Union Hospital (Figure 1, bottom) where the first group of doctors were infected during this epidemic.' The report says.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I judge it's not. Just like those 6 cases in Wichita that never happened.

Inyo Tim, pntblnk and GlockPride like this.
  4. Westexas

Westexas

A story like this would be hard to keep quiet for long. If nothing else about it shows up in a few days, it’s probably another tall tale.

flyover, AdamRodgers and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

6. Westexas

Westexas

AGF0526, flyover, AdamRodgers and 4 others like this.
  7. gotin

gotin

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

And the thing is they haven't tested nearly everyone yet. It's going to be far more in the end. Those people are going to be trapped there for months. Maybe they will soon clear the ship and move them to real isolation. Or maybe it's too late.

And 14 knowingly positive Americans were allowed on one of the flights back, but they were "isolated". I wonder if all of the crew/medical staff on that flight are in quarantine too. I would hope so.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    AdamRodgers and catman71 like this.
  9. gotin

gotin

It’s actually been less than a month since that one infected guy got on the ship.

10. Hartford

Hartford

All the news reports I have been seeing have said the quarantine on the Diamond Princess was set to end February 19. That's why there's reports of some US passengers being angry the state department is bringing them home, when they get to the us they will have to go through another two week quarantine.

So many conflicting news stories, but most of them say passengers were set to be released on the 19th.

ETA: After doing some more reading this is what I found. They started out testing those on the ship over eighty, then seventy, sixty and finally everyone. On February 19 they were going to start stepped releases of those who had passed the check. Doesn't sound the most foolproof.

"The Japanese government has begun testing everyone on board for the virus, starting first with those over 80, now those over 70, and eventually everyone. From February 19, staggered disembarkations will begin.

But American passengers who are evacuated will not be part of that process." Quoted from following article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...mond-cruise-us-evacuation-intl-hnk/index.html

Inyo Tim likes this.
  11. pntblnk

pntblnk

Interesting that the PRC leadership are likely delaying their annual meeting. They certainly wouldn’t do this if things were under control in country....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...hina-wuhan-hubei-cases-death-toll-latest-news

6:06 am post under post about the Princess cases.

Reuters reports:

The gatherings see more than 5,000 delegates descend on Beijing, the capital, from all over China, for at least 10 days, to pass legislation and unveil the year’s key economic targets.

A postponement would be the first since China adopted the current March schedule in 1995 for the meeting of parliament.

The standing committee of the NPC will meet on Feb. 24 in Beijing, the official Xinhua news agency said.

“The upcoming session is ... expected to deliberate a draft decision on postponing the third annual session of the 13th NPC,” it said. The session was due to have begun on 5 March.

The proposal was made in the belief it was important to focus on reining in the epidemic, Xinhua said. China has imposed transport curbs to halt the spread of the virus, which has killed 1,770 and infected nearly 71,000 in mainland China.

The CPPCC is also studying whether to postpone its annual meeting, state-run CCTV said, due to have begun two days earlier, on 3 March.

Five people familiar with the matter told Reuters this month that China was considering delaying the meetings as Beijing grapples with the epidemic.

The parliamentary committee will also consider a proposed law banning wildlife trade and discuss government changes, Xinhua said, without elaborating.

AdamRodgers, spork and BigBluefish like this.
  12. Westexas

Westexas

BNO Newsroom
    @BNODesk

·
    3h

NEW: 19 of those infected with coronavirus on the cruise ship in Japan are seriously ill - Kyodo

13. pntblnk

pntblnk

A couple other interesting statements in BOLD from the thread posted above....

Japanese public health experts advising the government defended the decision to isolate passengers and crew on the ship, even as the number of cases increased again on Monday.

“Many people are testing positive on the ship, but that is because we are testing everyone onboard, regardless of their medical condition,” said Shigeru Omi, the chief director of the Japan Community Health Care Organisation. “And 70% of those testing positive are not showing any symptoms at all.”

Omi said any disruption to this summer’s Tokyo Olympics – including the Games’ cancellation
    would depend on how and if the virus mutates in the coming months, as well as the effectiveness of the international community’s attempts to contain the outbreak.

“Whether the virus is under control by the time of the Olympics is anyone’s guess,” he said at a media briefing in Tokyo.

Omi conceded that tracing the chain of domestic transmissions not related to the Diamond Princes was proving difficult, but denied Japan, which has confirmed 65 cases on land, was becoming a second major infection cluster.

“Our focus now is on community-based preventative action to lower the speed of the transmission of the virus,” he said. “It is true that there have been silent transmissions, but Japan is certainly not in a state of pandemic.”

AdamRodgers, spork and BigBluefish like this.
  14. pntblnk

pntblnk

...and with 14 of the Americans being evacuated that will essentially double the US cases in a single day.

Some interesting modeling of growth outside of China on AvianFluTalk from BabyCat as well. Thanks for the link earlier Westtexas.

happyguy, AdamRodgers and Westexas like this.
  15. thewitt

thewitt

This morning in my daily quarantine call I asked my CDC handler about taking the test and getting released from home quarantine early.

Here is what he said.

"The test may give a false positive, or a false negative, and it will not release you from home quarantine early in any case."

He then went on to say the CDC is evaluating the quarantine period and there have been internal recommendations that it be extended to 21 days.

I reminded him that I was considered a low risk, was not in Wuhan, and had no known contact with anyone from Wuhan. Silence...

Today, no fever, no symptoms, no early release... The pizza guy freaked out a little when I answered the door with my face mask on...

Cmacc, FullClip, pAZ Ron and 11 others like this.
  16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I hadn't even thought of the Olympics. This could be interesting.

17. pntblnk

pntblnk

18. Westexas

Westexas

I’m continuing to watch the severe/critical cases for this virus. Any sustained spike in cases in this category will be great cause for concern.

This virus will mutate. A sequence change at position 501 and/or 494 in the genome of this virus will have consequences.

pAZ Ron, flyover, jmontgomery and 5 others like this.
  19. Mr981

Mr981

Given how many members of the public have essentially blown off the dictates coming from Beijing to squelch the epidemic, I wonder if this epidemic has affected the way the populace as a whole looks at their government? When people start getting locked into their own apartment buildings and essentially left to their own devices to deal with this disease, It would seem the central government has essentially given up on large numbers of their population.
    Add to that the likely notion that virus originated in a government-run lab further
    erodes the notion that the CCP is run by an all-knowing group that has the best interests of the population In mind.

happyguy, Westexas and AdamRodgers like this.
  20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

pAZ Ron and Inyo Tim like this.