GlockTalk Forum banner

22261 - 22280 of 22373 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Damn. It's been strangely quiet on the COVID front these past few weeks, relatively speaking. And now this. Almost as if the sky is ready to open up. Again.
What is the likelihood that a scientist at Los Alamos would discover a "one off"? Out of all the virus samples available?

Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Damn. It's been strangely quiet on the COVID front these past few weeks, relatively speaking. And now this. Almost as if the sky is ready to open up. Again.
Fortunately, most recombinations either don’t work or offer no advantages.

Unfortunately, it may make the vaccines less efficacious.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
What is the likelihood that a scientist at Los Alamos would discover a "one off"? Out of all the virus samples available?
Luck of the draw. I was expecting this to happen at some point. Not terribly concerned about this.

What does concern me is someone infected with the MERS virus and SARS CoV 2 at the same time. That could be a problem.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Luck of the draw. I was expecting this to happen at some point. Not terribly concerned about this.

What does concern me is someone infected with the MERS virus and SARS CoV 2 at the same time. That could be a problem.
Yeah, I understand these events are common, especially with coronaviruses. But I always return to my initial question when this all began - why is the world reacting to this virus in the manner it has, when we never give influenza a second thought? Never in my lifetime, not even when smallpox would ignite.

Dunno.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Here’s some audio information on convergent evolution.

US scientists identify evolving COVID-19 variant

ABC Radio National

Featured: Dr Jeremy Kamil, Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at Louisiana State University's Health Science Centre Shreveport

Reporter: Julia Holman

Duration: 8min 43sec
Broadcast: Tue 16 Feb 2021, 6:35am

Listen here:
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...riant/13158110

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Yeah, I understand these events are common, especially with coronaviruses. But I always return to my initial question when this all began - why is the world reacting to this virus in the manner it has, when we never give influenza a second thought? Never in my lifetime, not even when smallpox would ignite.

Dunno.
On the surface I would say it’s due to the fact that this is a novel virus. The world’s Scientists know the virus is evolving, they just don’t know what it’s going to evolve into.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On the surface I would say it’s due to the fact that this is a novel virus. The world’s Scientists know the virus is evolving, they just don’t know what it’s going to evolve into.
Because the beginning USA estimates were 2.2 million people. Then it was 15 days to stop the spread. Government got the power and a big whoa, we can tell them what todo and they did it. They fed us fear and we bowed down. Gun shot wounds, stokes etc all counted as Covid. Cases have plummeted since Biden so now pushing double mask and vaccine vaccine vaccine... mask to remind you who your overlords and why you’re still in lock down so you don’t question the “science”. 2.2 million psssh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
That would be reasonable. But my guess is we've been eight paces behind this virus since the beginning. Los Alamos discovers evidence of recombination; it's likely been in the wild for weeks, spreading. Within the next 30 days? Who knows?

And look. I'm not discounting the possibility this bug emerged naturally. In some ways that's scarier than an engineered version, at least with this one.

Perhaps it will behave like Ebola - flare, retreat for awhile, then flare again. I've no idea.

·
Registered
324 Posts
From New Scientist, dated 15 February, 2021:

Coronavirus variants carrying similar mutations detected in the US

Seven coronavirus variants carrying similar mutations have been detected in the US. All the variants, reported in a preliminary study, have gained a mutation at the same location in their genome and appear to belong to the same lineage as a virus first sequenced on 1 December, which subsequently became more common. “There’s clearly something going on with this mutation,” Jeremy Kamil at Louisiana State University and co-author of the study, told the New York Times. It isn’t clear if the mutation makes the variants more transmissible, like the B.1.1.7 coronavirus variant first sequenced in the UK, but its location in a gene that influences how the virus enters human cells is concerning. “I think there’s a clear signature of an evolutionary benefit,” said Kamil. The preliminary study was released on a pre-print server and has not been peer-reviewed.

Read more: Covid-19 news: Millions more people told to shield by UK government

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Because the beginning USA estimates were 2.2 million people. Then it was 15 days to stop the spread. Government got the power and a big whoa, we can tell them what todo and they did it. They fed us fear and we bowed down. Gun shot wounds, stokes etc all counted as Covid. Cases have plummeted since Biden so now pushing double mask and vaccine vaccine vaccine... mask to remind you who your overlords and why you’re still in lock down so you don’t question the “science”. 2.2 million psssh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, most politicians are power addicts. I believe many of them hope this continues.

They have discovered that a virus with a relatively low mortality rate can be used to gain control.

Just imagine what a virus with a much higher mortality rate would do.

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Dr. Campbell
Feb 17, 2021
Update

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Here’s a bit more information as to why recombination is a bit of a concern with SARS CoV 2.

Hundreds of animal species could harbor novel coronaviruses
Yesterday, 04:25 PM

By Nicoletta Lanese - Staff Writer 17 minutes ago

Hundreds of mammal species could serve as incubators for coronaviruses to mix and match with one another, potentially forming new viruses and fueling future pandemics, a new study predicts. These species include wild animals, such as bats and monkeys, as well as domestic animals, such as pigs and cats.

The study, published Feb. 16 in the journal Nature Communications, highlights the potential for coronaviruses to infect a wide range of hosts. In fact, the work identifies hundreds of animal species that may become infected with known coronaviruses, although many of these infections haven't been observed in the wild yet.

... The algorithm predicted that, on average, each virus has more than 12 mammalian hosts. Each screened animal species, in turn, was predicted to be a potential host for more than five coronaviruses, on average.

Animals that can serve as hosts for many coronaviruses present the biggest threat; when several coronavirus strains invade the same cell, their genes can be mixed and matched as they replicate, thus generating new, patchwork viruses.

https://www.livescience.com/mammal-s...ronavirus.html

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Kill all animals! It's for the children!

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Midweek update for Kansas. Another 1,267 new cases for a total of 288,717. 9002 have been admitted into hospitals and 6,137 have been discharged. Deaths increased, 115 deaths brings the grim total to 4,521.

1,229,298 people have been tested, 2,382,523 PCR tests administered and 543,223 Antigen tests performed. 940,581 have tested negative. The Monthly testing rate per 100K is 1,491. The monthly percent positive is 5.3%, down 0.1%.

109 hospitals in this update. 940 ICU beds with 456 in all uses and 68 in use for covid patients. 47% of ICU beds are available. 1,006 ventilators with 166 in all uses with 34 in use for covid patients. 84% of ventilators are available. 300 have been admitted and 2,712 inpatient beds are available.

Global COVID-19 Tracker & Interactive Charts | Real Time Updates & Digestable Information for Everyone | 1Point3Acres reports Kansas has administered 394,523 doses of vaccine. 188,925 first doses and 102,799 have received a 2nd dose.

The state reports 191, was 192, cases and the county health department reports 181 cases, 2 active and 6 deaths.

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
Carbon Health is now posting that in LA, you will receive a notice only 2-3 days before your second shot. As recently as a few days ago, the time range was 3-7 days before hand. Because I now under 7 days, Carbon Health gave up on the fiction of giving 7 days notice. As I previously related, a girlfriend was told last week to simply show up. She was taken at 11;30 am and then received at email, that she should show up at 10 am.!
Haa Haa.

P.S. Carbon Health dropped the promise that you would receive a second shot.

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Dr. Campbell
Feb 18, 2021
Update

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Dr. Campbell
Feb 19, 2021
Update

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
The end of the week update for Kansas. There was a larger number of infections for some reason, another 2,115 cases for a total of 290,832. 9,071 have been in hospitals and 6,206 have been discharged. Another 93 deaths brings the grim total to 4,614.

1,238,423 people have been tested. 2,403,075 PCR tests performed and 558,292 antigen tests performed. 947,591 tested negative. The monthly testing rate per 100K is 1,658. The monthly percent positive is 5.1%, down 0.2%.

112 hospitals in this update. 984 ICU beds with 580 in all uses and 82 in use for covid patients. 41% of ICU beds are available. 1,044 ventilators with 179 in all uses and 34 in use for covid patients. 83% of ventilators are available. 290have been admitted and 3,069 inpatients beds are available.

Global COVID-19 Tracker & Interactive Charts | Real Time Updates & Digestable Information for Everyone | 1Point3Acres reports that 418,653 total doses given with 188,701 doses for 1st time vaccinations and 114,976 doses in 2nd time vaccinations.

The state reports 193 cases in my county with the county health department reporting 181 cases, 2 active and 6 deaths.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This dude is a surgeon, and supposed "expert", and yet he flubs basic medical terminology, using "strain" rather than "variant". Sure kid, I trust you. Besides, I heard that prediction from so called experts last spring:

22261 - 22280 of 22373 Posts