GlockTalk Forum banner

21561 - 21580 of 22002 Posts

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
That can't be right, we all know masks are useless. :deadhorse:
I know.

Here are some problems:
1. originally, the concept of wearing masks was to slow down the spread so that thousands of breathing machines could be built and installed in hospitals.
a. they weren't particularly effective, and,
b. thousands were made.:drunk:
2. next reason was that the spread would be slowed down. Ok, so the spread was slowed down.:dancingbanana:
a. it wasn't slowed down in convalescent facilities where people were crowded, and staff members were exposed to the sources of infection outside the facility and could bring it in.
b. even when it was finally recognized that older people were being hard hit, one of the governors in a major state ordered that thousands of infected people be moved from hospital facilities to convalescent facilities.:cheers:
3. except for some dingy researcher in the UK and local doctor here who went on local television and proudly announced a vaccine would be developed within two months (some 6 months ago),
most thinking people with an ability to do google searches knew that people would be lucky if an effective vaccine would be developed and distributed in a year.:crazy:
4. So the rate of infection went down 6% in the counties mandating masks, it was still chugging along nicely at 94%. And, in those counties, if you waited long enough, everyone would be exposed.:dunno:

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Haven't seen anything about this. Links?
Here it is. If you’re interested in daily updates on worldwide outbreaks, ProMed-Mail is the “go
to” site.

ProMED-mail post
http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org

Date: Wed 18 Nov 2020
Source: The Cable [edited]
https://www.thecable.ng/yellow-fever-scare-in-kogi-as-unknown-illness-kills-50

An unknown illness has reportedly killed at least 50 people in Ette community, Olamaboro local government area [LGA] of Kogi state.

Ujah Alewo, the lawmaker representing Olamaboro constituency in the state house of assembly, disclosed this via a motion introduced during the plenary session on Tuesday [17 Nov 2020]. He said there is no confirmed diagnosis of the illness, of which symptoms include headache, sore eyes, loss of appetite, inability to urinate or defecate, and convulsion before death.

Olamaboro shares a boundary with Igbo-Eze north LGA in Enugu state, where the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed an outbreak of yellow fever, of which symptoms also include jaundice and headache.

The Cable had reported that the disease has spread to 2 more LGAs in the state; it already killed at least 76 people in 3 states.

Alewo said the illness has defied treatment with herbs and at the local health centres. "More worrisome, all efforts to seek a solution, using the local herbs and treatment at local health centres, with referrals to neighbouring clinics and hospitals at Ogugu and Okpo in Olamaboro, respectively, were not successful," ThisDay quoted him to have said. "The reports reaching my constituency office from the community leaders confirmed that over 50 people within the economic and productive age of 25-40 years died from September [2020] to date, thereby stalling agricultural, social, and economic activities, which directly affect the food security of the agrarian and artisan Etteh people."

He added that the deaths have caused panic among residents in the affected community, and he called on the state government to intervene. The NCDC and Saka Haruna, the state commissioner for health, have been contacted for their responses.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Odessa, Texas was in the state news this morning. In spite of adding six hundred beds, they’re still having to send patients elsewhere.

The Abilene area is still in the “critical” range. No available ICU beds. We’re edging closer to an area wide shutdown.

We are now 31 hospitalizations away from a lockdown. Time to get a few more groceries.

·
Registered
19,222 Posts

·
Registered
19,222 Posts
The weekend update for Kansas wasn't as crazy as I had feared. 7,526 new cases, which is slightly lower than the last 2 day update. Still we have 142,059 cases. 4,777 have been hospitalized with 3,189 discharged. 46 more deaths brings that count to 1,456.

784,288 have been tested with 642,229 testing negative. The monthly testing rate per 100K is 4,243. The monthly percent positive is 19%, a decline of 0.3%.

79 hospitals reporting in this update. 888 total ICU beds with 565 in all uses and 240 in use for covid patients. 36% of the ICU beds are available. 907 total ventilators with 207 in all uses and 89 in use for covid patients. 77% of the ventilators are available. 896 have been admitted and 2,135 inpatient beds are available.

The state remains at 95 counties with over 100 cases. In my county, the state shows 130 cases with the county reporting 122 cases and 21 active.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
FL is just plugging along no restrictions or mandates and kids are still in school. Nothing will move the Governor from his position on the matter.

5-9k cases a day 5-8% positivity and 40-80 deaths a day. Right now hospital beds and icu beds are 25% available. That is 16k beds and 1500 icu beds empty.

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,569
Ohio is #1 in new cases today. Hopefully it's just a spike like so many states go through. But at this point we're probably infecting 1-2% of the entire population EVERY WEEK.

Our hospitals are filling rapidly. Strangely though I don't hear the gov. talking about activating field hospitals yet like he did in the spring when the numbers and trajectories were way lower.

Reactions: flyover

·
Registered
19,222 Posts

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Where are all the charts? When this all started early in the year, every day people were posting various charts, charting the virus.

I am curious to see if the new "spikes" are similar to the first spikes, and what the differences may be (if any).

If it is the same or similar, then there will be a big spike, then it will drop off.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
19,222 Posts
Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
19,222 Posts
Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
A small focused number but the trend is probably consistent among states and age groups is my guess.

I have been tracking the case fatality rate for my age group for the state of FL. The CFR is the current number and includes data since the beginning of this. I am 46 and the bracket is 45-54 deaths / cases for the age bracket by the date I did the calculation. By comparison the CFR for over 85 is 25.6% right now in FL.

45-54
11/8 .539%
11/11 .538%
11/13 .535%
11/16 .526%
11/20 .516%
11/24 .503%

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Looks like the CDC is thinking of shortening the 2 week standard quarantine... I think that is if you get tested and it comes back negative:

From the article:
"At the time, Redfield said researchers were looking at whether "you can use testing during the quarantine to determine if you can shorten the quarantine to seven or 10 days." Without testing, he said, you could miss a percentage of infectious cases.
"Obviously we don’t want people to be quarantined 14 days unnecessarily," Redfield said."

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-shorten-length-quarantine-those-220133934.html

Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
19,222 Posts

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,316 Posts
Heard from Gov Wolfe and Dr. Rachel today via Public Safety Alert.

View recent photos.jpg

·
Registered
19,222 Posts
Kansas continues to roll along with 5,738 new cases for a total of 147,797. 4,921 have been hospitalized and 3,299 discharged. Unfortunately another 47 deaths for a total of 1,503.

798,185 have been tested and 651,388 tested negative. The monthly testing rate per 100K is 4,731. The monthly percent positive is 18.7%, down 0.3%.

123 hospitals reporting in this update. 1,013 total ICU beds with 661 in all uses and 272 in use for covid patients. 35% of ICU beds are available. 1,114 total ventilators with 244 in all uses and 102 in use for covid patients. 78% of the ventilators are available. 1,126 have been admitted. 2,820 inpatient beds available.

96 counties now have had over 100 cases. The state reports my county has 135 cases, the county health department is claiming 127 cases with 16 recovered but I think they mean active cases. The other day it was listed at 122 with 21 active.

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,579
156 deaths in Ohio yesterday, a record. 37 in one tiny county out of 104 cases. Strange, if accurate.

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
Do you wonder how the news broadcasts will sound when the following becomes widely known about a vaccine that is touted as 90% effective:

Participants in Moderna and Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine trials told CNBC in September that they were experiencing high fever, body aches, bad headaches, daylong exhaustion and other symptoms after receiving the shots.

Both companies acknowledged that their vaccines could induce side effects that are similar to symptoms associated with mild Covid-19, such as muscle pain, chills and headache.

21561 - 21580 of 22002 Posts