GlockTalk Forum banner

21261 - 21280 of 21623 Posts

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
That can't be right... news headlines, and some people I know, swear that Florida has fallen off the face of the earth it is so full of dead china virus bodies.

You shouldn't even be alive to post that!

I don't know what to believe with all this.
The unfortunate consequences of both politicians and the news media having their own agendas.

I have an advantage where I live. My wife is a Medical Laboratory Scientist and she works at the largest Medical center in this area. It’s much easier to find out what really is happening in our area.

It’s getting ugly here. Unfortunately, we have a lot of people with underlying health conditions in this area. Obesity being the main problem. That’s the main driver for our serious cases. Those without any comorbidities seem to have nothing more than a really bad cold.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
When we opened theme parks in July that was supposed to be the end of the state. Then when we opened schools in Aug that was going to be the end of the state. Etc...

Funny how CA can’t open theme parks but the rest of the world can.

Actual FL data.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Actual FL doom and gloom
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/florida?view=daily-deaths&tab=trend

Any day now daily deaths will go up like a rocket... or not. Based on the graph 10-20% of our Hospital patients have to die everyday and get replaced every day to follow the graph.

Article from 10/9 (2 weeks ago)
Florida will be 'like a house on fire' in weeks with loose coronavirus restrictions, infectious disease expert says
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

"What they've done is opened up everything as if nothing had ever happened there and you and I could be talking probably in eight to 10 weeks, and I will likely bet that Florida will be a house on fire," Osterholm told CNN's Jake Tapper.

Our Rt is under 1 right now.

That can't be right... news headlines, and some people I know, swear that Florida has fallen off the face of the earth it is so full of dead china virus bodies.

You shouldn't even be alive to post that!

I don't know what to believe with all this.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
Kansas took a big jump in the number of cases but it is in "part due to automating a process that was previously done manually." Whatever that means. The site also stated the the number of cases would be higher on Wednesday due to this process also.

So the number of cases today was an increase of 2,446 for a total of 78,676 cases. 3,646 have been admitted with 2,549 discharged. 976 reported deaths, that's up one from the last update.

625,931 have been tested with 547,255 testing negative. The monthly testing rate per 100K is 3,128. The percent positive is 8.4%, a 0.3% increase.

83 hospitals reporting this time. 896 total ICU beds with 548 in all uses and 103 in use for covid patients. 39% of ICU beds are available. 889 total ventilators with 169 in all uses and 39 units in use for covid patients. 81% of ventilators are available. 362 patients have been admitted. 6,235 inpatient beds are available.

70 counties now over 100 cases. My county is up 2 cases to 34 cases and 30 recoveries.

Overall things are looking decent. While the numbers have been going up the those in ICU and on ventilators have remained basically unchanged.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
Los Angeles report:
Costco - people have taken the alarmist news reports of a new wave of the epidemic to heart. Haven't been in two - three months. No Costco paper towel packages. Limit on toilet paper. No shortage of cleaning supplies. Conclusion - people are cleaning only what they have to clean.

So I went to Smart and Final down the street. Three more shops in that shopping center have failed in the last month. No shortages or limitations. Haven't seen 70% isopropyl on the shelf for months now. This means that the knowledgeable about cleaning efficiently are still buying. Bought some more paper goods.

Homeless. The LA court agreement to get people out from under the freeway underpasses is completely meaningless and ignored by the high paid LA City attorneys. They are still there and the numbers are growing. City provides free tents to the homeless (but you have to buy your own, of course).

When locals took large boulders and put them on the areas of the freeway underpasses, the City Attorney promptly and courageously acted, threatening $1000 and $2000 a day fines to homeowners if they weren't removed in like two days.

The mayor acted. The dirt sidewalk a mile long next the the municipal golf course on Rose Avenue was fenced off. The mayor apparently is having it paved so life will be easier for the homeless in their city supplied free tents. Previously, the tents were so packed together that ever the homeless would have to walk in the street.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
This update is like the last update. New cases numbers spiked but it has to do with the way they are reporting some of it .

From their webpage: "Last updated: 10/28/2020 at 9:00 AM. There were 3,369 new cases, 31 new deaths, and 106 new hospitalizations reported since Monday, 10/26/2020. Case Count Notice: Over the weekend, KDHE's disease surveillance system, EpiTrax, received an update which has automated a process that was previously done manually. Monday (10/26) and today there will be an increase in cases that were a part of the weekend update. Approximately 1,500 cases from today's update are attributed to that review. Please note, the update does not affect the percent positivity or number of people tested."

So, with that in mind. The new cases were 3,369 for a total of 82,045 cases. 3,752 have been hospitalized with 2,604 discharged. 1,007 deaths, an increase of 31.

633,033 have been tested with 505,989 testing negative. The monthly testing rate per 100K is 3,395. The monthly percent positive is 8.6%, an increase of0.2%.

140 hospitals reporting in this update. 1,056 total ICU beds with 675 in all uses and 112 in use for covid patients. 48% are available. 1,048 total ventilators with 203 in all uses with 51in use for covid patients. 81% are available. 451 covid patients have been admitted. 8,115 inpatient beds are available.

74 counties reporting over 100 cases. My county remains at 34 cases with 30 recoveries.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Los Angeles report:
Costco - people have taken the alarmist news reports of a new wave of the epidemic to heart. Haven't been in two - three months. No Costco paper towel packages. Limit on toilet paper. No shortage of cleaning supplies. Conclusion - people are cleaning only what they have to clean.

So I went to Smart and Final down the street. Three more shops in that shopping center have failed in the last month. No shortages or limitations. Haven't seen 70% isopropyl on the shelf for months now. This means that the knowledgeable about cleaning efficiently are still buying. Bought some more paper goods.
Starting to see some of that ("pandemic buying") again here in Connecticut. Last week our local grocery store was completely out of paper towels, but had toilet paper all over the place (including "on sale" racks of it). Yesterday, local store obviously got their delivery in - paper towels stacked all over the place!

Daughter visited last night, asked if she could have some paper towels.... she said the grocery store in her town, and the Walmart, have been out of paper towels the last 2 times she went shopping last week.

At the moment, wife and I have plenty of paper products - especially compared to previous years! Similar with food - we have plenty at the moment.

What a headache.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
We are down to one ICU bed in the entire area according to the local news. No panic buying, but more people are wearing masks again.

Symptoms are all over the place, ranging from mild cold to dead. Definitely hitting those with comorbidities much harder.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Reactions: Westexas and ejjeff

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
We are down to one ICU bed in the entire area according to the local news. No panic buying, but more people are wearing masks again.

Symptoms are all over the place, ranging from mild cold to dead. Definitely hitting those with comorbidities much harder.
Where are you? It seems more like you have a general shortage of medical facilities, regardless of CoVid-19. I am north of Dallas and we have very few problems with capacity.

I live in a semi rural area that is growing. You must be in a smaller town that doesn't have anything to attract doctors, and not enough money to support hospitals. That can be tough if anything flares up, even a bus accident. We were there 10-15 years ago but close enough (20-30 miles) to get to good facilities.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Starting to see some of that ("pandemic buying") again here in Connecticut. Last week our local grocery store was completely out of paper towels, but had toilet paper all over the place (including "on sale" racks of it). Yesterday, local store obviously got their delivery in - paper towels stacked all over the place!

Daughter visited last night, asked if she could have some paper towels.... she said the grocery store in her town, and the Walmart, have been out of paper towels the last 2 times she went shopping last week.

At the moment, wife and I have plenty of paper products - especially compared to previous years! Similar with food - we have plenty at the moment.

What a headache.
We keep being told of rising positivity rates. Our mayor left us an "Emergency" voicemail...basically telling us to be vigilant and wear masks. Not that I disagree, but hardly and "emergency."

CT's numbers have been good. There's strong political pressure to keep them there. Practically every other state is on CT's "no go" list. (Of course, you CAN go, you just have to get a negative test, or quarantine for 14 days when you get back.) I believe people are thinking there's going to be another state-wide lockdown soon. I don't think they are wrong.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Two more of our friends now have COVID 19. She’s a nurse handling COVID patients, so no surprise. Her husband caught it as well. Their daughter is being tested as well. So far, just flu like symptoms.
Best wishes for them.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Where are you? It seems more like you have a general shortage of medical facilities, regardless of CoVid-19. I am north of Dallas and we have very few problems with capacity.

I live in a semi rural area that is growing. You must be in a smaller town that doesn't have anything to attract doctors, and not enough money to support hospitals. That can be tough if anything flares up, even a bus accident. We were there 10-15 years ago but close enough (20-30 miles) to get to good facilities.
Outskirts of Abilene. Population of over 127,000. Two Medical Centers. Combined bed capacity of 750. Smaller hospitals in the general area with bed capacities of up to 50 each.

It is a bit surprising that all but one ICU bed is filled in this area. Except for Abilene, this is a pretty rural part of Texas.

Since I’m in a high risk age group, I just wear a P100. That way I don’t have a care in the world as to what others wear.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
We keep being told of rising positivity rates. Our mayor left us an "Emergency" voicemail...basically telling us to be vigilant and wear masks. Not that I disagree, but hardly and "emergency."

CT's numbers have been good. There's strong political pressure to keep them there. Practically every other state is on CT's "no go" list. (Of course, you CAN go, you just have to get a negative test, or quarantine for 14 days when you get back.) I believe people are thinking there's going to be another state-wide lockdown soon. I don't think they are wrong.
I don’t think we’re going to see a lockdown here. Those in charge are just not willing to repeat it. They caught a lot of grief from business owners.

At this point, I say leave everything open. Those with comorbidities can wear a P100.
Those with COPD or emphysema that need to have supplemental oxygen can use an Israeli 4A1 gas mask. Attach the oxygen tube to the drinking water tube and problem solved. Supplemental oxygen and purified air at the same time.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Well, just look what I found! A new virus for the ChiComs to perform gain of function manipulation on. I wonder if this will be next year’s Science project for the Wuhan Institute of Virology?

url]https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/arti...train-seen-swine-has-potential-jump-humans-us[/URL] or https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/arti...train-seen-swine-has-potential-jump-humans-us ;

A new coronavirus fear? New strain seen in swine has potential to jump to humans, US study finds
  • The virus, called swine acute diarrhoea syndrome, or Sads-CoV, began to infect swine herds in China in 2016, causing diarrhoea and vomiting
  • The most likely way for the virus to move to humans would be through contact such as between workers and animals at hog farms.

21261 - 21280 of 21623 Posts