This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. billy_56081

billy_56081

It's heating up in Watonwan county Minnesota, the chicken canning plant had 50 plus positive tests. At many of these food plants the names people are using at work are not the same ones they use at the Dr. so they can't take their doctors note to work.

Westexas and Inyo Tim like this.
  2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Epidemic-wise, the PRC was never isolated.
    1. Even during the 1950s and 1960s there was a lot of sub rosa trade - float merchandise down the river to Hong Kong, relable and ship.
    2. There were always PRC diplomats who went to other countries or sub rosa met with US officials.
    3. The Iranian situation was that a delegation from Iran flew on a Guards' plane to Wuhan, did not put on masks or decontaminated themselves and brought it back to Iran.
    4. You can exclude most PRC nationals, however, they have contact with other people. Look at the international flight schedule from Wuhan to the rest of the world.

Westexas and Inyo Tim like this.

3. papershoot

papershoot

I have been working in a factory for the last several weeks. I try not to let the COVID dominate my thoughts or life. My son-in-law gave me a better website to track the numbers in Alabama. According to the website, my county has the lowest infection rate in the state. While that is good, I feel that at some point we have to get back to a normal life.

https://bamatracker.com/

n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  4. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

From a family member;

"Friend of one of my grandsons tested for trip to Bahamas (required for travel out of country and to get back in). entire family tested positive..no symptoms whatsoever."

vikingsoftpaw, Inyo Tim and flyover like this.
  5. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

6. flyover

flyover

7. flyover

flyover

Cases in Kansas continue their increase, another 547 cases for a total of 14990. 1,195 have been in hospitals with 367 in ICU's and 152 have been ventilated. 834 have been discharged.

Male cases stand at 7,838 (52.3%) and female cases at 6,905 (46.1%) with 247 (1.6%) not reported.

2 more deaths bring the total to 272. There have been 145 (46.7%) male and 127 (53.3%) female deaths.

182,797 have been tested with 168,183 testing negative. Testing rate per 1K is 62.75. The 13 counties now account for 13,200 cases.

8. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

So it looks like Quercetin actually works...

so the knives are out to cut down any hope that a cheap, readily available compound might provide.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infect...w 2020-07-02&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_passiveNew

The signal from the SARS-CoV-1 study led researcher Hasan Önal, MD, and co-authors to conduct an open-label randomized control trial in Turkey examining quercetin's role in COVID-19. In the trial, 95 patients with COVID-19 are receiving a 1,000-mg active treatment dose and 113 healthcare workers are receiving a 500-mg dose as prophylaxis. In both treatment arms, quercetin is administered with vitamin C and bromelain, a supplement extracted from pineapples that is used for burns or inflammation.

As of March, no COVID-19 cases were recorded among healthcare workers taking prophylactic quercetin and no deaths were observed among patients with COVID-19 on quercetin treatment, Önal told MedPage Today in an email. However, there is no active comparator or placebo group in the trial and patients on quercetin self-selected the treatment, Önal added.

Önal's team also drew on a lone hospital practice guidance from Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia, written by Paul E. Marik, MD, chief of pulmonary and critical care medicine there. Marik included quercetin in the institution's COVID-19 management protocol for prophylaxis and mild to moderate cases. He co-authored the Frontiers in Immunology paper on quercetin and vitamin C as a potential COVID-19 therapy.

"It's based on good, basic science and there are some really interesting papers postulating it's benefit, but unfortunately we don't have any [clinical] data," Marik told MedPage Today. "If you have something that is potentially beneficial, safe, and cheap, what do you have to lose?"

Given the antiviral activity that has been demonstrated in preclinical data, it would be reasonable to prescribe quercetin in the context of a properly designed clinical trial for treating COVID-19, commented David M. Aronoff, MD, of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.

n2g, Westexas, Maccabeus and 2 others like this.
  9. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Interesting. I was taking that a couple months ago when the numbers & potential risk where still a little foggier, but had stopped the quercetin while maintaining my D and C more recently. Maybe I'll add that back into the mix.

n2g likes this.
  10. flyover

flyover

I was thinking that you were to take quercetin for 4 months and then stop for a while?

I had to go and take a look. One source says that it can be taken for 12 weeks, the source did not state how long you needed to be off before restarting.

https://www.rxlist.com/quercetin/supplements.htm

Westexas likes this.
  11. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I've been taking it every day since Early February with no apparent ill effects...

The study you are talking about, if I remember correctly, studied it for 12 weeks, so they could only attest to it's safety taken daily up to 12 weeks.

Westexas and flyover like this.
  12. flyover

flyover

I got ya. There has been so much information/disinformation flow through this thread since it started it is hard to remember what's what.

Westexas likes this.
  13. flyover

flyover

Westexas likes this.
  14. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

So, westexas, Dr. Campbell had reported that China has a COViD vaccine that they are providing to their military right now.

Not sure, but if true, that's an interesting twist. Perhaps COViD 19 had been around in China (at least in the lab) for quite some time before December '19?

Or, perhaps they are providing their military with a vaccine, but it is NOT for COViD 19, but for a different, more lethal pathogen?

Westexas and flyover like this.
  15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I missed that Dr. John video. The fact that he said it gives it a bit more credence in my book, he's not a bomb thrower.

Or they rushed something into production, hoping for the best. There are several vaccines elsewhere that have been ready for awhile now, though obviously not in mass quantities because we have those pesky phased trials to finish first.

[​IMG]

China prepping for invading Taiwan?

BigBluefish and Westexas like this.
  16. flyover

flyover

17. flyover

flyover

18. flyover

flyover

Our ride continues with an increase of 929 cases bringing the total up to 15,919. 1,219 have been in hospitals with 377 having been in ICU's and 159 having been on ventilators. 842 have been discharged.

Male cases stand at 8,254 (51.8%) and female cases stand at 7,414 (46.6%) with 251 (1.6%) not reported.

2 more deaths brings the loss to 277, with 147 (53.1%) male and 130 (46.9%) female.

191,561 have been tested with 175,642 testing negative. Testing rate per 1K 65.75. The 13 counties account for 14,061 cases.

billy_56081 likes this.
  19. Westexas

Westexas

Nothing the ChiComs do would surprise me. I do believe that at some point there will be another virus popping up in China.

H7N9 is at the top of my list. They likely have a vaccine. The world doesn’t. They stopped providing the latest gene sequences to the WHO or GenBank over 2 years ago. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out why.

I’m quite certain that gain of function manipulation has been done on this virus. I’m also quite certain another “accident” is going to happen.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    nursetim, Sharkey and BigBluefish like this.
  20. Westexas

Westexas

This is interesting good news.

Globally, more than 10 million people have been infected with the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Of these, at least 5.39 million have recovered, but the question of long-lasting immunity and protection from being infected again remains unclear.

Now, a team of researchers at the Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital in Sweden has found that the number of people immune to COVID-10 may be higher than previously thought, and that antibody testing may no longer be the appropriate tool to trace it.

T-cell mediated immunity
    Public immunity to the novel coronavirus, which causes the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), could be higher than antibody tests suggest. This also means that people who have not tested positive for antibodies can still show a T-cell mediated immunity to the coronavirus.

"T cells are a type of white blood cells that are specialized in recognizing virus-infected cells, and are an essential part of the immune system," Marcus Buggert, assistant professor at the Center for Infectious Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, and study lead author, said.

"Advanced analyses have now enabled us to map in detail the T-cell response during and after a COVID-19 infection. Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in," he added.

To arrive at their findings, the team conducted immunological analyses of samples from more than 200 individuals, a majority of whom had only mild or no symptoms of the viral infection. They included some patients admitted to the Karolinska University Hospital. Those who donated blood during the 2020 and 2019 periods were also included as the control group.

The team observed that those who had a positive COVID-19 test are not just the ones who showed T-cell immunity but also their exposed family members who were asymptomatic (had no symptoms). Further, about 30 percent of blood donors who donated blood in May 2020 had COVID-19 specific T cells, showing that the rate is way higher than previous antibody tests have shown.

The T-cell response was consistent with the measurements taken after immunization with approved vaccines for other viruses. Patients who experienced more severe COVID-19 created a robust T-cell response and an antibody response. Meanwhile, though some patients only had mild symptoms, there are times an antibody response could not be detected, but they may still show a significant T-cell response.However, it is unclear what level of immunity is provided by a T-cell response, although antibodies are believed to last only between three and six months.

People may have established an antibody response, but either it had faded or was not detectable in tests.

"Our collective dataset shows that SARS-CoV-2 elicits robust memory T cell responses akin to those observed in the context of successful vaccines, suggesting that natural exposure or infection may prevent recurrent episodes of severe COVID-19 also in seronegative individuals," the team wrote in the paper.

The study results indicate that public immunity to SARS-CoV-2 infection is potentially higher than antibody tests have shown. However, the team noted that T-cell analyses are more complex and harder to perform. They are conducted in specialized laboratories.

"Larger and more longitudinal studies must now be done on both T cells and antibodies to understand how long-lasting the immunity is and how these different components of COVID-19 immunity are related," Buggert explained.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...gher-than-previously-thought-study-finds.aspx

pntblnk, BigBluefish and flyover like this.