·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Paging Westexas... Westexas to a white courtesy keyboard, please

·
Registered
20,095 Posts
China-just sharing the love...

I think that it wont be wars or turmoil that brings down civilization but some damn bug.

·
Native Mainiac
21,665 Posts
Anyone remember the swine flu?
i was in boot camp in 1976 when there was an outbreak of swine flu. Normally when we got our medical shots we just lined up as a company and marched down the line. For the flu shot we were broken into several groups. Some of those guys in different groups got wicked sick and had to be taken out of the company. I just had a sore arm for a couple days.
I always wondered if we were being used as guinea pigs.

·
Premium Member
25,732 Posts
I had lunch at a rural eating place. Two ladies came over. For 20 minutes I hadn’t even invited them to sit. (It was just so unexpected) I still don’t know why they came over..
After bunch of stuff they started about China, the flu... I mentioned pandemic. The staff darn near kicked us out.

Then it gets funny. I went to bank in a town @4 miles from the dinner. Grocery shopping, to assisted living place to see family friend. @20 minutes later they show up.
Restarted conversation. Agreement we are overdue for major epidemic. With China, unsecured border, planes bringing people around the world, and halfway home before they are symptomatic... it’s going to be bad.
Thing is I fly thru two international airports. Not huge ones but MSP and DEN have a lot of foreign travelers.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Where do I even begin. For those that don’t know, tracking infectious diseases was part of my job prior to retiring. I still do.

I started tracking this back in December when Promed mail put out an alert.

This is a “viral perfect storm” scenario. We are in the middle of the the worst flu season in over a decade and the Chinese festival has begun.

This virus started in a wet market in Wuhan. It’s a Zoonotic virus that’s jumped to humans. I wasn’t too concerned until a week ago. That’s all changed now. China has assigned a separate Medical team to each serious/critical patient. You do that for patients showing signs of a “Cytokine storm.” This disease is going to tie up a lot of Medical personnel.

The virus is believed to be mutating. China is bringing a Rapid Sequencer to Hubei province to check on this. Death rate is fluid, but appears to have gone from 1.5% to 3.8%. The virus also appears to be more contagious now. The case load is changing rapidly. It was 312 this morning and now it’s 560. It may be in 7 different countries.

CDC has activated EOC. Who is considering raising raising the threat level as well.

There is no vaccine and antivirals are of little use against Coronaviruses.

The only bright spot is that China is now very open on its reporting and they are very good at containment of health threats.

1 - 20 of 22322 Posts