close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This Just In: Ford Product goes over 570K miles: Miracles do happen.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RowdyatHeart, Apr 2, 2012.

1. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

2. Little Joe

Little Joe

It gets better except for the tv hosts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJc5NxtoGAQ"]557,000 Miles and Counting (She's 90; Her Car's 45; Both Are Still On The Road) - YouTube[/ame]

3. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Somehow, I knew it wasn't a Taurus.

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

From a mechanical standpoint most cars are capable of a million miles or more. There is just no financial reason to do so. (the cost starts to become more than it is worth, and right now that happens to most cars around the 200K mark)

5. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

That's for damn sure ........:rofl:

'

<------- Former proprietor of two ($%^$%^*^%) Taurii

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

My Acura currently has 167,000 miles on it. I'm trying to figure out if it's smarter to keep it for a few more years and drive it until it starts giving me problems or sell it now.

I have been offered as much as $5,000 for trade in. If I drive it for a few more years I won't have a car payment but I might only get $2-3,000 for trade in.

7. Restless28

Restless28

I hope you're wrong about my Tahoe. It has 157000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten. I have already told the wife that if the engine or tranny ever die, we'll have a crate engine and tranny dropped in. I see no vehicle made now that I like as much as the 2001-2006 Tahoe and Yukons. The new Tahoes don't seem so tough to me. Too much plastic, IMO.

8. Restless28

Restless28

Drive it.

9. Rabbi

In almost all cases, it is best to keep a car a long as you can.

You get 5 grand for it now or keep it 2 more years and get 2 grand for it...how much would you have spent on new car payments? (and the depreciation of a new car) you wold be out thousands.

The same for fixing a used car. throwing2-5 grand in a car to keep it running 5 more years is still a lot...a LOT cheaper than buying a new car.

One of the reasons that people tend to get rid of a car when it needs it first "major" repair(often in the 120-200K range) is a 300 buck a month car payment is cheaper than forking over 2000 for a new tranny.

People tend to have an income, few people tend to have cash on hand.

10. Restless28

Restless28

Very wise words again Rabbi.

11. Rabbi

You have to do the math. I, did not state that very well. When I said "more than it's worth" I meant more than the value of the car you are fixing. However, it is often still cheaper to keep fixing a used car.

12. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Excellent advice. Thanks Rabbi. It sucks because I'm so ready for a new vehicle but in my heart I know I just need to drive the piss out of the Acura. I just wish it wasn't so damn small. Road trips are miserable.

13. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Rabbi: I learned from a very wealthy man to never buy new cars. I learned there is no such thing as a good deal when it comes to transportation. Buying a new car is insane and leases are the ultimate con job for most people who drive any normal amount of miles per year. I have found buying a good used car and paying cash for it or putting a lot down and having a tiny payment is the only way I can break even.
    I buy used Hondas and have had excellent results.

Cash is King but if I can buy Honda Accord with 30K Miles or less for $14,000.00 cash on the barrel head and drive it 200K miles with normal maintenance, I am okay with that. I started doing this 20 years ago. It works for me.

14. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

New car smell is the most expensive perfume in the world.

15. Restless28

Restless28

We have pretty much decided that our 2011 Camry will be the last car payment we will have. I really wanted a Subaru, but with this 0% loan, the car is being paid off quickly.

I just cannot see us going $10,000 or higher over our current balance to drive a Subie or any newer car. I don't think I want to keep diggin the hole I'm climbing out of anymore.

16. Rabbi

Buying a new car is a suckers bet.

Having said that, the whole point to becoming rich is to give yourself more choices. The choice you make is often arbitrary, the important thing is having the choice. If you want a new car and can afford it, get a new car.

What did Warren Buffet name his Jet? "Indefensible"...and in some ways it is....but that is not the point...he still has it.

17. silentpoet

silentpoet

I did the numbers and my 68 caddy is more economical than a 2007 prius. Given my driving habits, it would be about 200 dollars a month cheaper even factoring in the 10mpg of the caddy. The savings would be even more if it was compared to a new car/prius.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

How you treat the first 500 miles of a new car will directly determine if you'll reach 500K. HH

19. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

As a service manager i can tell you that I see more and more cars in our shop getting repairs that are more expensive than the value of the car. But, if a 1500 dollar repair keeps the car going two or three more years, then it was worth it.

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I'll only buy a new car and will only buy a used truck, and I'll put about 35-40K on the car each year and just over 2K on the truck. I spend so much time driving the car that the "latest and greatest" feature excitement is worth the extra expense and the fact that my truck has a cassette player and joystick mechanical sideview mirrors doesn't matter at all. HH