This is the first time COVID19 hit someone I know. Now it's real!!

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by davethehiker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

I just learned that a friend is in the hospital with COVID19. He has a collapsed lung and is being put a ventilator. The doctor called his daughter and asked her to come to the hospital. This sounds bad.

A few weeks ago he posted some photos of himself at a dance. No one was wearing masks. Several people who attended that same dance have recently died from COVID19.

Good guy, he was in the same widows club I was in and joined me on some hikes.

I feel a bit responsible because he once asked me about meeting women. I suggested that he take up dancing. He took up "Carolina Shag" and was active in that dance community.

Dancing is not a good activity in these crazy times!:devildance::dancing::dancingbanana::bluesbrothers:

I feel bad for all my single friends who are in danger when they socialize.

It's easier to stay isolated at home when you have a loved one with you.:(

catman71, 10or45, czsmithGT and 2 others like this.
  2. Tbags

Tbags

Well it certainly isn't your fault, he made a bad choice at the wrong time.

10or45 and flyover like this.

3. NMG26

NMG26

How many old people were at this dance.......a bunch of people dying does not sound right....unless it was really old people

Sherlock913, porschedog and Kevinr20 like this.
  4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Well, I hate to break the news but we’re all going to get COVID-19 at some point. A few people are going to get very sick from it but most won’t. Sorry your friend is as ill as he is but we can’t all stop doing everything.

5. Sgt127

Sgt127

I’m in the “We will all eventually get it or, we’ve already had it and didn’t even know it” camp.

My plan from the get go was limit exposure. Vitamin D, C, Zinc and Quercetin.

The longer you can avoid it, the better treatment options and plans are available.

I personally know several people now who have died.
    One in her late 70’s. One very overweight and late 50’s and one who had previously had TB and other health issues.

At 60, reasonably healthy and kinda skinny, I’m cautious but, not freaked out.

Bus007, nerr, rfd339 and 8 others like this.
  6. NMG26

NMG26

Is this the story?

https://www.soundhealthandlastingwe...fter-a-shag-dance-festival-in-south-carolina/

Three people have died from COVID-19 and 20 more have been infected a month after a shag dance festival in South Carolina.

The event was held across a number of days in Myrtle Beach at the end of last month after the Society of Stranders’ Fall Migration Festival had canceled their official event due to coronavirus.

Jeptha ‘Jeppy’ McDowell died on October 17 from the virus; Donald ‘Tootie’ Brown passed away the following day. Brown’s wife Maxine is in intensive care, The Myrtle Beach Online reports. A third person, who attended the Shaggin’ On Main festival but who has not been named, also died from the virus.

At least 20 people who went to the dance have tested positive for the virus.

The deaths of attendee Jimmy Weaver of the Holiday Band and another unidentified musician have not been confirmed as related to COVID-19.

Shag dancing, a two-person, male-led dance, is popular across the Carolinas.

The deaths of Jimmy Weaver, pictured, of the Holiday Band and another unidentified musician, who also both attended, have not been confirmed as related to COVID-19. At least 20 people who went to the dance have tested positive for the virus

Duck’s Night Life, one of the bars to take part, is said to have obtained an event permit to open and said it carried out temperature checks on the door.

The club has said it was within its legal rights to host the event and have not commented further.

But one attendee said up to 200 customers came to the club on one of the nights.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  7. Bradd D

Bradd D

I don't personally know anybody that has died. None of my fiends or family have had it. There have been several people at work that have had it. It was no worse than the flu and they are all back to work. My personal experience doesn't fit the narrative.

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

I have heard, and it seems to fit, that the level of exposure effects the severity. If you have a 15 second conversation you might get it but if you around people dancing and breathing hard it is likely to be bad.

I go out and do things but I do not talk to people in close proximity and stay far away from people that are coughing.

czsmithGT and Sgt127 like this.
  9. rainman33

rainman33

I wish your friend the best and hope he has many more years ahead of him.

ETA: At the very least it will be on his terms- from doing something he enjoyed.

arkdweller22 and NMG26 like this.
  10. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I like how you make yourself feel better by pitying those that are not married.

Trust me, no one needs your pity. :wavey:

Sherlock913 likes this.
  11. Scott1970

Scott1970

I decided it was real when it knocked me in the dirt. Right now we have eight cops out with it at work.

12. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

My sister-in-law had it. 46yrs old. Mostly mild symptoms, sick, not felt well, and loss of taste and smell.

And my uncle just got it. 69yrs old. Doing okay so far. Loss of taste, smell, headache, aches and pains, fever, foggy thinking. No respiratory symptoms so far.

flyover and davethehiker like this.
  13. davethehiker

davethehiker

That well may have been the event my friend attended!

NMG26 likes this.
  14. porschedog

porschedog

I still don’t personally know anyone who has had it. One of our neighbors is active in the swinging community, yet they are still crazy healthy. No, we don’t go to their swinger parties, but it has nothing to do with fear of covid, but more fear of herpes, lol

I am sorry folks are dying, but they die all the time from the flu, pneumonia, falling off ladders, etc. continuing a lockdown is, IMO, nuts.

DAKA, 10or45 and davethehiker like this.
  15. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    “I feel sorry for you because what I have is better than what you have.”

Yeah, it does come across to me as a bit pampas and downgrading.

Now if it’s a van of hawt trannys and blow.....that could make me not care what anyone post here for a while.....:dancingbanana:

16. canis latrans

canis latrans

my aunt got it early (April) in an assisted living facility (Thanks, Gov. Tom Wolf!).

she's 82, obese, diabetic and has kidney issues.

She was VERY sick for several weeks, but never on a ventilator. She "lost" more than a week of time; but she survived it.

17. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I have had a son,daughter, son in law, And 2 grandsons that hgave had it. They all went through 2 weeks of quarantine and are fine. Strange how some and not really affected by it and some die.

canis latrans and davethehiker like this.
  18. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

My sister contract it over the July 4th holiday. If was two months before she could half-arse resume some of normal living.

-JCN- likes this.
  19. tool-time

tool-time

Yes it is real.
    Yes some people become very sick.
    Yes most people will not.

No the country cannot shut down, that would hurt many more people.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

20. DADoser

DADoser

my mother (82, with dementia) in southern, IL got it in august. Her memory care facility seemed to be ground zero for a first big outbreak in Richland County. Staff member brought it in. A high school classmate of mine (who is a nurse and had a relative there) said they were not being very careful pre-outbreak. My mother stopped eating, I signed paperwork for hospice based on their recommendation. She pulled thru - mild symptoms. At least 3 residents died in that facility. Nurse told me she was the only person she knew who "graduated from hospice."

(current IL map has 347 cases; 18 deaths in that county. Where I grew up.)

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.