·
Why so serious?
65,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,010 Posts
Wow.
What a POS. Not that I needed this tidbit of info to make that determination.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
No good deed goes un punished. Just be glad he’s not charging 100% tax on income earned in nys. I’m surprised, to be honest, that he isn’t charging those from out of state for the “privilege” of helping them.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
They didn't "volunteer". They were paid. I'm totally fine with health care workers paying income tax just like everyone else. They aren't special, and they aren't "heroes". They are doing the job they chose to do.

If you start waiving the payment of income tax for "special people", the tax becomes less egregious. So I favor everyone paying it, so everyone hates it. That's the only way to foment a rebellion against it.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,010 Posts
They didn't "volunteer". They were paid. I'm totally fine with health care workers paying income tax just like everyone else. They aren't special, and they aren't "heroes". They are doing the job they chose to do.

If you start waiving the payment of income tax for "special people", the tax becomes less egregious. So I favor everyone paying it, so everyone hates it. That's the only way to foment a rebellion against it.
If they were NY state residents, sure; but they're not. They don't live there and took a job there due to the emergency the state was having.
One would expect that the recipients of said assistance would have the decency to not charge state tax to non-residents. There's a reason people are leaving NY in droves.

·
NRA Life Member
29,343 Posts
There is an old saying; “ Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me “

That decision to tax people that have volunteered to come help NYC out of a jam probably was not well thought out. If there is a second or third wave of cases in NY and they call for volunteers again, I doubt those people will be showing up the second time.

·
Premium Member
42,134 Posts

·
Registered
5,815 Posts

I gotta agree with this. They went to earn money. Earned money is taxed. Don’t like the taxes in that state don’t go.

Unless there was something stated beforehand forgiving taxes. That’s an entirely different issue.

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If they were NY state residents, sure; but they're not. They don't live there and took a job there due to the emergency the state was having.
One would expect that the recipients of said assistance would have the decency to not charge state tax to non-residents. There's a reason people are leaving NY in droves.
I’m admittedly not up to date on Gov. Cuomo other than his comments on the virus in New York during the past 45 days...I’m pretty sure that his political views are left-leaning to say the least... However, it’s become evident to me that “decency” is not his strong point...

·
NRA Life Member
29,343 Posts
I gotta agree with this. They went to earn money. Earned money is taxed. Don’t like the taxes in that state don’t go.

Unless there was something stated beforehand forgiving taxes. That’s an entirely different issue.
Governments change the rules all the time in emergencies. I think it is a bit short-sighted to get their pound of flesh out of people that answered the call.

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
Wasn't there already a thread on this?

It's a perfectly ordinary state income tax law. They'd be paying income tax in pretty much any state that has one. Heck, I've been working from home since March, so I have to fill out paperwork every 2 weeks to make sure I'm paying county tax, based on my home address, instead of city tax based on my office address, even doing the same job for the same employer.

A state isn't going to convene the legislature and change its state tax law for some temporary employees, especially since their home state almost certainly give them a tax credit for the amount paid in New York and the law already takes that into account.

Also, it's a Democrat state, otherwise, it wouldn't even need a state income tax. Does anybody think New York can't run off tourism and sales tax as easily as Florida?

Reactions: Dave514 and mj9mm

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
Governments change the rules all the time in emergencies. I think it is a bit short-sighted to get their pound of flesh out of people that answered the call.
If those people were volunteers, they wouldn't be worried about state income tax. They are there because they are raking in the money - New York is a high cost of living state and they are in a job that's getting paid well and lots of overtime.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am wondering if the people that came to New York are responsible for state income tax where they live and New York? I would guess that people would not "volunteer" to go help if they were getting hit with 2 different state income taxes.

·
Scottish Member
12,211 Posts

Sure they volunteered to go to an area with a high Covid-19 rate area. They didn’t live with there, or were forced to go by their employer. Getting paid and being a volunteer (to go outside of normal job duties) are not mutually exclusive.

After storms, our company asked for volunteers to go to out of the normal service area to restore utility infrastructure. They were paid expenses, regular time and overtime by the company; and our company billed the appropriate entity. Our guys didn’t pay NY income tax when they worked the aftermath of hurricane Sandy.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts