close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is only a test. Had this been an actual emergency...

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by G29Reload, Aug 16, 2011.

1. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Your reactions on the spot. Do not go away and think about this, because had this been an actual emergency you would not have that luxury. This addresses your state of preparedness NOW. You can improve later, but the following are the scenarios:

A. You live 8 miles from a sensitive military base or installation. There are no subsurface assets to speak of, so this selected target receives a 200kt airburst with no prior warning in the media. You are in your house and awake when it goes off, and because of brick construction you are not harmed by the gamma burst, and you're not looking directly out of the window. You have approximately 45 seconds before a heavily front-loaded shock wave hits your house, but due to dissipations of distance, the original 400mph surge is down to a survivable 95mph by the time it hits you. Still, the clock is ticking...

You...?

B. You are 55 miles from a major city. The prevailing winds are blowing in your favor, away from you, when without warning, a Chinese 600kt theater weapon explodes 3000' above the hypocenter downtown. The distance means the shockwave will be well dispersed and radiation is blowing away from you for the time being. Between you and the city at a range of 30 miles a major airport is hit by a 200kt groundburst meant to wipe out the runways and there is some heavy fallout but still the winds are blowing away from you. You're up and its a workday, but you havent left yet, though one of your kids is at the bus stop, but comes running back.

C. Same as B, but its February and you've just had 2 feet of snow. At least the house is well stocked from the SuperBowl party leftovers and you knew the snow storm is coming. You...

D. Its a Wednesday night just before 7p, and the President is to address the nation out of the blue, on a matter of "great national urgency" and it turns out to be some nuclear cliff walking with a belligerent nation which has just been read the riot act and warned that they better stand down or we're gonna toe the line with nukes. Some political deadline has been issued for 9am the next morning, if its even reached because things are getting Cuban-Missile-Crisis hairy. The military is under full mobilization and defcon one, the interstates are CLOSED and blocked by state troopers to facilitate military movements and that un spools just after the speech is given. Forget about going anywhere, the order is to close all supermarkets to avoid riots and prevent hoarding, with them to be re-opened under secure supervision for rationing under secure control after things go bad if it gets that far, or to keep chaos from taking over if things are ok but folks suspect it may not be over. The power is on, but the stock market is to be closed the next day and schools are shut down.

You...

E. In a fit of government efficiency, the EBS actually works and without any warning all programming goes off the air and the President suddenly appears or is heard, and announces that full scale nuke exchange is underway between us and the enemy of your choice, China or Russia. Typically ICBMS take 22 minutes but by the time they ID'd the problem and got the Prez to the basement, 7 minutes had passed and it takes a minute or two to process the information. You have less than 15 minutes, and you've just been given the major news and told to "take cover, under ground if possible" . Warning sirens are going off from the local fire department. Date, time and location of your choice, most likely for you in your scenario.

You...

Ready, set,.....SURVIVE!

:shocked:

2. Dexters

Dexters

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

ok, you're dead in the first wave. You died with a smile on your face, clearly not serious about survival. But you lived well. I both admire, and pity you. Quite the dichotomy.

Next?

4. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

A. I'll bend over and kiss my A for 45 seconds.
    B. I'll bend over and Kiss my A bye bye once again.
    C. I'll open my stash of MGD get S faced and kiss my A bye bye.
    D. I'll rip up my voter registration card and continue to get S faced and kiss my A bye bye.
    E. I'll lite up a J, crack open another cold one, and continue to kiss my A bye bye.

Ready, get set .... I died.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Dexters

Dexters

Why don't you post how you plan to survive and for how long?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. quake

quake Millennium Member

A - not sure how to respond. Don't have that situation, so haven't tried to prepare for it specifically. That said, our house is a red-iron frame structure rated to 125mph sustained winds - guess we'll see if they were telling the truth in the specifications. In 45 seconds, herd (physically if necessary) everyone into a central room with no windows. If time, open a few windows to try & reduce window breakage, but fact is I didn't think of that within the first 45 seconds here, so I almost certainly wouldn't in the real thing. After shockwave passes, doublecheck water stores and get survey meter & misc potective gear out.

B - Get inside, get survey meter and protective gear, and doublecheck water stores...?

C - Same as B but doublecheck backup heat as well..?

D - Wednesday at 7pm I'm at choir practice 90% of the time, so I wouldn't know about it until 8:30 or so. We can get to our retreat location without travelling any interstates (have to cross above one at an underpass), so that combined with carrying LE credentials and knowing probably half of the few state troopers in the area, may let us get from our fairly rural main location, to our "dang rural" bugout location. If we just can't get out, then we can't. Stay home and see "B" and "C" above.

E - shelter in place. Do NOT want to be out among terrified, desperate people; they can be as lethal as the nukes. Anyone not in the house gets notified by cell if possible (gamble, but gotta try). Beyond that, see B, C, and D above.

7. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

You sir, are who i would gladly share a foxhole with.

I do not know how you'd do, till I review in depth.

But I do know this:
    Anyone MORE THAN 5 miles from an actual detonation WILL survive. HOW WELL is another question, and dependent on how you answer here. If you've already written it off and don't expect to or even try, then yes, you won't do well. If you search for answers, make an effort, etc., then things might work out for you.

8. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

I will cover all of that.

I reside within 8 miles of the President's nuke bunker, in rural VA, less than 60 air miles from DC.

So, I also live within striking distance of DC.

And, Dulles Airport, on the border between Loudoun and Fairfax County, with 8000' runways and a designated alternate for AF1.

They may try a decapitation strike, and if they're smart they won't. They need someone at this end to shut the spigot off off if it gets hairy.

I have a full basement, which I WILL dive for if I see the flashcube go off. I do keep bottled water and MRE's in the basement for this contingency. If its lesser and I am above ground, well I have a year's supply of food. I am k and will avoid the chaos.

9. Dexters

Dexters

What do you have to clean the air of radiation?

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/nuclear_radiation_and_fallout.htm

10. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

The air does not and can not contain radiation. Radiation does however attach itself to particulate matter thrown into the atmosphere. Even a tiny spec breathed into your lungs can result in lung cancer. That is why you see people wearing dust masks after a nuke emergency.

Radiation is directional...which is why just being below round helps you avoid it, and wearing a dust mask helps you avoid breathing in damaging particulate.

YOU CAN survive nuclear attack. Knowing the specifics helps.

11. Dexters

Dexters

The initial radiation from the blast is not affected by the wind. See the article I attached.

What are you using to clean the air with particulate matter that radiation has attached itself to while you are in your shelter and after you leave it, assuming you are downwind of the explosion?

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/nuclear_radiation_and_fallout.htm

What will be of concern to the greatest number of people, though, is the remaining 10% of the energy unleashed by a nuclear explosion, the residual or fallout radiation. Any nuclear detonation on the ground, or where an airburst was low enough that the fireball touched the ground, will create tons of radioactive materials that will be sucked up into the classical mushroom shaped cloud to then be spread far downwind. These radioactive particles carried by the wind then later fall out many miles away from ground zero and are the source of what we know as radioactive fallout. Each of these trillions of contaminated particles continuously gives off invisible radiation while in the mushroom cloud, while descending, and after having fallen to earth.

12. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

I live in Florida less than 10 miles from KSC and 15 from PAFB and CCAFS and rocket launching facility. I am very close to the east coast with millions of others. We would be dead in any case.

13. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

I'm asking the questions here Private Pyle, can I be in charge for awhile? Thank you very much. Do you...never mind...:)

14. Dexters

Dexters

The troops are all yours, sir.

Let me know when you are ready for a beer and the 4 Tops.

15. quake

quake Millennium Member

Fwiw, I'm no nucleaar physicist and can't swear to this, but I've read more than one place that the total fallout from either a 10- or 20-megaton (can't recall which) ground burst can be insulated against by a single layer of 11 or 12 inches of concrete. Few have that, but many could; and what are the odds of needing that much - enough for ALL the fallout. Bear in mind that a ground burst will create more radioactive matter (and therefore fallout of radioactive matter) than an airburst, since so much more debris gets sucked into the mushroom during a groundburst than in an airburst.

Even a simple, typical 6-inch slab as in a safe room or storm cellar will block 85-90 percent or so of fallout. Good hepa or better air filtration can greatly keep particulates out as much as possible while letting air in. Not a guarantee of safety, but a whole lot better than zero percent.

16. Misty02

Misty02

What happens once your supplies run out? How long before you can plant vegetables, fruits, etc (condition of both dirt and water)? It would be very sad to manage to survive a year or two, see those around you die only to then die yourself.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    We have some plans to survive some events but not every conceivable one. Death might not always be the worst possible thing.<o:p></o:p>

17. DaScotsman

DaScotsman D-FENS

Shelter in place for all 5... I have a basement, and I'm stocked. Board up my windows the next safe day.

Would like to try to get to a more remote location than my suburb, but probably wouldn't do it for a few days... let the herd thin itself out a bit.

And, of course, Life just became a Weapons-hot scenario, 24/7...

18. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73

2 main points in any nuclear situation...

1. Hunker down and wait till the initial event has subsided, check prevailing winds, plan on taking one of my several planned out escape routes based on what information I have.
    2. At first sound of warning, get out immediately with BOB and GHB. As soon as information can be gleaned, no more than 2 people of my group will go back in for additional supplies, if the situation warrants it.

Either way, I live 6 miles outside of a city that isn't much of a terrorist target unless its a local homegrown issue, and less than 5 miles outside of a former AFB, with a still operating 2 mile runway. While not the target of choice for a quick strike, in the event of full blown missile lobbing party it would be a target, as well as my city, GSP airport (15 miles), and Oconee Nuclear Station (45 miles, and I am downwind under normal weather). My routes out consider our major wind patterns and the other possible targets.

As for any radiation, including fallout, it becomes an function of time. If you dodge the initial gamma burst and survive the blast wave, the longer you are exposed to radiation the worse it will be. I don't plan on being around long enough to get burned. We all know what traffic will be like, so waiting around with indecision will be much worse. If things settle down, plans to go back in in 2's to gather tools and longer term supplies will be made, but if its too bad, better like your BOB!!!

I have checked the prevailing winds maps, and locations of nuclear facilities to pick a few off the beaten path places where fallout wouldn't likely make it nor would radiation clouds from a melt down pass over. You will never be 100%, but I would rather have some plan than none. My chosen areas are not well known, have plentiful game, and fertile land. MAny farms and ranches nearby have plenty of various livestock and seeds. There also hard to get to, very hard to get to.

Oh, and if there is any credible threat of nuclear war, my truck and trailer will be preloaded with as much supplies as possible, including tools. The car will be loaded with short term essentials in case the vehicles are separated. If the threat becomes imminent, I was already out of town on vacation...

19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

That's the devil of it,a NBC type disaster is our greatest fear.We have a plan and we don't live near any high value targets.That leaves the "B/C" part of it.The results of that type of strike are terrifying.No real way ta defend and no real way ta detect.The sad part about this is that the OPs premise is quite plausible.A nut job with a vial of "insert biologic" or a cannister of,can decimate a very large area and if the "agent" got inta the ground water it'd kill millions.'08.

Pm inbound.

20. X-ray 4N6

X-ray 4N6

A very popular place will be the local hospital's radiology department (radiotherapy bunker would be even better).
    It all depends how fast you can get there and how much bottled water you can bring with you or how much bottled water they have on site at the hospital.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011