close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is NOT Marine Corps boot camp!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Whiskey Six, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

My nephew's Army basic training platoon at Ft Leonard Wood has a Facebook page!:rofl:
    https://www.facebook.com/BravoCompany31stEnBn1stPltRoughRiders

The Drill Sergeants actually post updates and pictures. :faint:
    WAY too much smiling going on. Lock it up recruit!

I know, I know. It's great that the families can see their little Bobby and Suzy and follow their day to day exploits.:upeyes: Come on. That is not what boot camp is about. It's not supposed to be fun. Or public. It's about challenges and hardships shared as a team. Taking young men and women out of the soft comfortable lives they had at home and turning them in to warriors. What's next? Teddy bears and binkies?:dunno:

2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I agree. They also get their cell phones, and are allowed to smoke during "personal time". I went through basic @ Ft. Sill, 2004 and even we didn't have it that easy!

3. sourdough44

sourdough44

1981 for me. Now they even do the initial reception indoors, no onlookers allowed.

4. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

5. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

WOW! And I thought we had it easy since we were allowed to have cameras...

6. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

We couldn't even smile on the last day of boot camp!! :shocked:

:usmc:

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

A friend and I went in the same week.

Me USMC, MCRD SD. Ca.
    He Army, Ft Benning, Ga.

He wrote me letters about how tough it was, and gave details.
    My DI read them aloud to the platoon. We were allowed to laugh.

8. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

'98 for me, Army.

Today's BCT makes me want to weep. Granted my BCT stories are nothing like my dad's, but I remember us taking kicks to the ribs if we were getting smoked and couldn't pushup anymore. Or gut punched if we messed up in formation. Now they have that lame *** stress card BS.

Smh...

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

9. nursetim

nursetim

Funny, I was in Harmony Church, right next to Ranger Battalion HQ, in '83 and was never touched. I got smoked plenty and was far from a top troop. We were still allowed to smoke back then.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That is standard now. I recently spent a few weeks as a drill sergeant with a battery at Ft. Sill that had a facebook page and had the chance to compare the reality with the facebook page. They were not even remotely similar. The facebook page was done by the battery XO and he made every effort to make it look fun, calm and easy. Hard training, bad weather, dirt and drill sewrgeants were strictly avoided. You couldn't find a single picture of most of the drill sergeants on the page. He concentrated on soldiers doing things under minimal stress while smiling.

The image you saw on facebook is designed to keep families from worrying and contacting the soldier's chain of command every time they don't hear from him/her for a few days.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

They get their cell phones for a few minutes on Sunday. Why? because the pay phones we used in the 80's are now so limited they'd have to march 2 miles and stand in line for 6 hours to call home. Basic training doesn't have that kind of time to spare. The result of using the cell phones is that they get to call home less than we did 20-30 years ago. Like the facebook page, the calls home help keep the families off everybody's back.

No, not a single *&(^*(& soldier in Army basic gets to smoke cigarettes (unless they sneak behind a building somewhere). It's a TRADOC regulation (350-6). Even the company commander, 1SG or drill sergeants are prohibited from using tobacco products anywhere in the area of the soldiers.

I agree that it is becoming too easy and a bunch of Tradoc officers who went to ROTC summer camp are literally trying to baby the soldiers to death. However, the drill sergeants fight a constant battle against that and it's not as bad a you guys make it sound. The bad part is that so many drill sergeants are relieved for investigation of "trainee abuse" for trying to maike soldiers out of them, that a chunk of every units drill sergeants will constantly be assigned to other duties, because they are alleged to have "singled out" a soldier or called them something other than "private, warrior or their rank."

12. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Ft Leonard Wood basic training 1960 version:

Wood barracks without A/C, wood floors with linoleum 'Bloody Mary', coal-fired-by-hand water heater

Wood building chow hall without A/C, all pots, pans, chow trays hand washed by GIs, all work (clearing, cleaning, washing, mopping, peeling, chopping, can opening) performed by GIs

Only phone in the company area was in the orderly room for receiving emergency calls. Personal calls limited to when we could get to pay phones at the PX. Most contact with home was by letter.

Personal time? What the hell is that?

Smoking was allowed when the drill sgt said "Smoke 'em if you got 'em"

I never saw a GI physically harmed by an NCO.

13. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

I went through BCT in '90 and at that time the Drill Sgt. were not allowed to strike or use profanity on a recruit.

14. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Do they get to twitter also?

15. failsafe

failsafe

Ah yeah...1968,,,,,,I made 2 phone calls to home during Boot at MCRD San Diego, during a 9 week period..It was so long ago, we had hand crank phones..
    Seriously, phone calls were a priveledge, to be earned or lost..
    While in Vietnam, I spoke to my parent's once..That was after a medivac and upon my parent's contacting the Red Cross..
    Jeeze a Dear John letter could take months..Let alone the response..
    Does the baby look like me ??

16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

This is the complete truth. Too bad most will skip over it and continue to post "back in my day they beat us with sticks" and other BS Internet stories. :upeyes:

17. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Some old timers have me beat. 1991. Ft Benning. Smoked every day. Linen drills, no tobacco. Etc, etc etc. built Esprit De Corps, discipline, and a special bond. Great times and I loved it.

ETA: Smoked as in PT. Do they use that term anymore? I remember "hello Dolly's"

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Wow. No inter-branch potshots? I thought I'd hear,"Yeah, because no one can spell there," or something by now. Lol

19. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

How about the term KP? I heard or read that some posts hire civilians for kitchen personnel. Maybe that was the Air Force.

20. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Why won't this myth just die? :rofl: