close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This hog will be cooked this weekend

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, May 28, 2006.

1. noway

noway

I was out over this weekend on a hog hunt. Took this sow on a guided hunt with handgun. It required 3 shots to put the hog down and out.

caliber = 45colt
    gun = redhawk
    load = 21gr H110 , starline brass, mt=-baldy 310gr Keith style bullet, WLP
    distance = approx 25yards for the 1st shot

2. tyesai

tyesai

I've been wanting to go pig hunting for a long time. I was going to use my .357 but...............

How does it taste, is it game flavor or is it alot like bought pig?

3. 357glocker

357glocker

Good job! I want to go hog hunting bad never been before! How much did she weigh on the hoof? Was the first shot placed well?

4. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

I wish I was cooking that today and not store bought BBQ, congrats.

How much did she weigh? I am surprised a loading like that took three shots.

5. noway

noway

Ok let me start 1st

How does it taste, is it game flavor or is it alot like bought pig?

It's meat texture is coarser than the domestic counter part. Sow ( female ) meat will have no off-odor which is common on older boars ( male ) from the production of testosterone which for the obivious reason is not a problem with a sow. Meat on younger hogs are the prime imho and a sow is ever better. The next best thing would be a young pig ( piglet ). It's not in any way/shape/fashion in the same arena as domestic store bought pork but it's not bad either. Just very lean, no oil, and needs slow cooking and with marinades and a constant mopping. This hog will be split between some friends and my portions with slow crock pot .

How much did she weigh on the hoof? Was the first shot placed well?

Guessing.....she weighed less than 110lb and more han 90Lb live weigh or some where in that range. I could grab all fours and left her off the ground and I'm not a hulk hogan nor pee-wee herman ;) I have about 50lbs or so in the cooler on ice at this moment. She barely fit the cooler once the head was cut off.

It took 3 shots due to the 1st one was way below the bellyline and actually hit the left far leg on a right side broadside shot. I either didn't pick a spot , flinch or was totaly off. She still manage to run agood 20mins or so after we let a dog chase her down. The 2nd shot pretty much fatally wounded her but I had to provide a last one shot as a mercy "coup de gras" to kill the squeal so to speak. All bullet fully penetrated with no problems.

Hope that answer all of the questions. I 'm posting a link to the location below. They have some of the best affordable hunts and allows stalk and stand hunts bow/handguns/rifle/knife and swords/spears ;)

http://www.outwestfarms.com/

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good job Noway !

Good Hunt !

Hey, i looked at the website you posted. That "swamp buggy" is a pretty cool looking machine. :supergrin:

CanyonMan

7. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Good deal Noway! I bet you had fun... thats what really matters. :beer:

8. noway

noway

Yeah I had fun that's for sure. Tomorrow would be even better cause 2 hams where dropped off for cooking tomorrow by my friends mom and eating them would be even more fun ;)

9. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

. sorry posted by mistake

10. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Good to see another pestulance gone, here in my part of Georgia they are in abudance, and damaging crops and deer feed plots and feeders.

11. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

Good info noway. You have to be one of the most hard core hunters in the state. Keep it up!

12. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

congrats on the handgun harvest:cheers:

13. noway

noway

Here's the last part of the hog cooked. It was a ham weighing about 4lbs done over a lump charcoal fire with bits of apple wood. Rub with cajun seasoning after water/apple juiced soaked for 10hours.

[​IMG]

It's very tasty ;)

Also here's the lead thrown at the this hog.

[​IMG]

14. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

You are a privileged man Noway... and cruel for showing us that beautiful pork :soap:

15. 357glocker

357glocker

that looks good! How would one of thier roasts taste in a good pulled pork sauce?

16. NailShooter

NailShooter

noway,

Congrats on the successful hunt!

Did you cast your own bullets? Did you recover any of them? If so, what did they look like? I've heard that style of bullet hits hard--were you satisfied w/ their performance? Thanks.

NS

17. noway

noway

Let me try to answer in order;

>1 no I buy from online sources Mt.Baldy bullets, castperformance, leadhead, blackjackhill, any I have a stockpile of the former defunct drycreek bullet works.

>2 no, I've shot hogs with 357mag/10mm/45colt/12ga shotgun all zip right thru them. Only bullet I've recovered was a fellow Gt'er that uses a G29 and corbon 180gr-load and the bullet travel down to the lowest part of the front leg and was recovered intact and with a good looking mushroom. I blamed this lack of fully penetrating the animal due to it short-bbl ( low velocity ) and the sorry make up of this SD ammo that was used for hunting a wild hog. BTW that same hog need 2 more bullets to put it down. He also killed an earlier hog with qa single shot 200gr BearTooth Bullet that was handload, before DT/ammo start producing these same bullets in their loads.

>3 Yes , if the 1st shot was where it should have been and not a mistake ( by myself ) then the outcome would have been much better. I'm slowly but surely using softer cast bullet. I think that most bullet that are hardcast are cast TOO hard. I've been annealing bullets and have a new supplier that will cast to the hardness of your likely and will give you advice based on your load velocities. If you are running at round 1100-1200fps then a 21-22BHN bullet is way to hard. A softer alloy or a anneal bullet tip would be best.
    Reading a few articles from the past on the great Eolmer Keith, his lead-alloys used was probably cast to a hardness of 12-15 and no more.

hope that helps.

18. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

This is a pic of the hog I shot just before I moved from Florida. The cutters were about 2" and the wetters were about 1 1/2". The guy I was hunting with said it weighed something like 125-140#. I shot it with a .308 150 gr. Ballistic Silvertip at about 125 yards and finished him off with a G22.