Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. David Katz explains the only way to get back to normal is through developing a vaccine, or developing herd immunity through infections. Those are our only two options.

Also, that flattening the curve isn't saving lives, it's just delaying the inevitable.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/david-katz-coronavirus-vaccine-herd-immunity

Given that we've never successfully developed a vaccine for any Coronavirus, and that despite early hopes, it's looking like this one is going to be no different, our options are herd immunity, and that's it.

Reopen the economy. The sooner we bite the bullet and accept reality instead of hoping for a miracle, the sooner we can put this in our rearview.

The reality is China ****ed us by developing this in a lab, and screwing up and letting it out into the wild. Let's try to remember that with our foreign policy going forward.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
The stay at home orders are ineffective. My state has one and although our death rate per capita is tiny, the three surrounding states that don't have stay at home orders have even lower death rates than we do. This thing has turned into another unnecessary lib-tard knee jerk reaction that once again proves that Dims don't know how to govern or lead.

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
No one said that flattening the curve would stop people from eventually getting sick.

We are trying NOT to repeat what happened in Italy and Spain and completely swamp the medical system.

That's it.

It will save lives because people can get treatment, not because they won't eventually get sick.

Everyone over 60 in Italy was just sent home to die. Remember that when you say it's time to just reopen the economy and hope that you have no loved ones in that age group.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm over 60 and have never had a flu shot. C-19 is just another flu, albeit a new strain. You worry about you and I will worry about me!

Just wash your hands before touching stuff when you sneeze or cough. I don't want to exchange body fluids with people I don't know.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
A few years ago we had a outbreak of Pertussis. Here in Oregon we have a large anti vaccination population. Their though was if most of the population gets the Pertussis vaccination then they were protected(herd protection) and didn't have to have their children get the vaccination. Well with the influx of illegals we started getting numerous "Whooping cough" children. The herd protection failed, and we suddenly had 3-4 times the cases we had in the past. Now modern medicine can treat these kids and we have good results. But for the first time in decades we had a child die. Herd protection only works to a certain point.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Given that we've never successfully developed a vaccine for any Coronavirus, and that despite early hopes, it's looking like this one is going to be no different, our options are herd immunity, and that's it.
If the virus is mutating so much an effective vaccine is impossible herd immunity is also a pipe dream. The common cold is called the common cold because it is common. There is no herd immunity to it.

Since we don't know if an effective vaccine is possible we shouldn't rush back to normal. It isn't just delaying the inevitable, its buying time. If an effective vaccine is available 2 years from now and social distancing can hold the rate of new cases to about 500,000 / month 12 million people will become infected before the vaccine is available, far fewer than if we just go back to normal. And if new treatments are developed the death rate of those infected will also be lower regardless of whether or not there is a vaccine. The virus might mutate into a less deadly variant for all we know.

We cannot go two years with the current restrictions and lock downs. But is too soon to just throw in the towel and risk hundreds of thousands of people dying needlessly. I am in favor of erring on the side of opening sooner rather than later. But we need to buy a little time and see if a vaccine is possible, use more testing and contact tracing instead of lockdowns and see if existing antivirals can be used to reduce the death rate before we go back to normal. Opening in phases makes a lot more sense that just telling everyone to go back to normal.

Even all the restrictions are lifted the economy is still going to be taking a huge hit. If we got the all clear to do whatever we want there is still no way I am going to make my way through the Atlanta airport, hop on a plane with 300 other people and fly out to visit my 90 year father in a few months like I was planning on before CV19. Crowded bars, restaurants and big sporting events are going to remain mostly empty regardless of what the government says. That's not going to change unless there is a vaccine or herd immunity.

Lifting the restrictions and going back to normal are two separate things. The government can do the first but not the second.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I agree that shutting down was the right thing to do at the time , until the experts had time to get a read on this new pandemic . We were also not equipped with PPE for our medical workers , police and rescue workers . Now we should open states that have low cases and keep people from highly infected states from traveling to other states . Keep the schools and colleges closed awhile longer and keep events that draw a large number of people together in close contact closed , like sporting events , flea markets , concerts and even gun shows . That way the virus can spread at a slower rate and maybe give the doctors time to treat you and get the medicines and it will spread , we just don't know how fast yet .

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
[QUOTE="TheDreadnought
The reality is China ****ed us by developing this in a lab, and screwing up and letting it out into the wild. Let's try to remember that with our foreign policy going forward.[/QUOTE]
THIS needs to be SAID OVER AND OVER AND REMEMBERED.
BUY AMERICAN....BOYCOTT CHINESE .... MAGA...TRUMP 2020...OR REGRET IT

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
I'm over 60 and have never had a flu shot. C-19 is just another flu, albeit a new strain. You worry about you and I will worry about me!

Just wash your hands before touching stuff when you sneeze or cough. I don't want to exchange body fluids with people I don't know.
Sure it is. Show me the flu that kills 2000 people a day in the US.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Dr. David Katz explains the only way to get back to normal is through developing a vaccine, or developing herd immunity through infections. Those are our only two options.

Also, that flattening the curve isn't saving lives, it's just delaying the inevitable.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/david-katz-coronavirus-vaccine-herd-immunity

Reopen the economy. The sooner we bite the bullet and accept reality instead of hoping for a miracle, the sooner we can put this in our rearview.

The reality is China ****ed us by developing this in a lab, and screwing up and letting it out into the wild. Let's try to remember that with our foreign policy going forward.
No one said that flattening the curve would stop people from eventually getting sick.

We are trying NOT to repeat what happened in Italy and Spain and completely swamp the medical system.

That's it.

It will save lives because people can get treatment, not because they won't eventually get sick.

Everyone over 60 in Italy was just sent home to die. Remember that when you say it's time to just reopen the economy and hope that you have no loved ones in that age group.
This has been the plan from the beginning. Does anyone not get it by now? A majority of the population is going to get this, in the next 3 months, the next year, or the next 18 months. A lot of people are going to die. But that "lot of people" is going to be a small portion, probably <1.5% of the US population. Hopefully a lot less. Maybe we'll get a vaccine. Maybe we'll develop some level of herd immunity. Maybe the virus will mutate into a less lethal form. We don't know.

What we do know is it isn't just going to go away. it's here, probably forever. (Hopefully, in a less virulent form.) But, we don't know. People will have to go back to work. But, things will not get "back to normal." They will never be "normal" again. That life, before January '20, is gone. Over. Finished. Buh-bye. Not sure what the new reality is going to be, and I'm not saying it's gonna suck. Just that, it isn't going to be the life we left a couple of months ago. Nobody knows now what that new Kung Flu life is going to look like. Anybody tells you different, they're full of...well, they're probably a politician.

·
Don't Jump!
4,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well if this bug did come out of a lab then there is no normal.

Vaccine for a corona virus, You mean like the one for a common cold?

Watch the narrative change daily, we aren’t being told everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The covid-19 virus is nothing like influenza viruses.

They are both RNA viruses as are the Ebola virus, West Nile virus, SARS virus, Mers virus, hepatitis C virus, rabies virus, poliomyelitis virus, measles virus, and the viruses that cause common colds.

RNA viruses all demonstrate antigenic drift because the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase that they use to replicate their genomes lacks proof-reading ability so there are inevitable errors in polymerization that tend to result in variations of the surface proteins over time.

This type of mutation does not preclude the development of vaccines because the changes in the surface proteins are generally subtle. Most of the protein structure remains more or less unchanged and that is why a sizable percentage of the population has acquired immunity to "new" influenza strains even if they have not been vaccinated.

There have been many vaccines successfully developed for RNA viruses. Vaccines for SARS and MERS were in development but were not needed because these viruses were contained well before a vaccine would have become available. But the work done on those vaccines will probably be beneficial in development of a vaccine for covid-19.

And guess what? If the viral surface proteins are changing so dramatically and rapidly that development of a vaccine is impossible, the virus will not remain recognizable to those who have been exposed to it and developed IgG antibodies so adaptive immunity won't work either, i.e, no "herd immunity".

·
Registered
15,950 Posts
Well if this bug did come out of a lab then there is no normal.

Vaccine for a corona virus, You mean like the one for a common cold?

Watch the narrative change daily, we aren’t being told everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It left the lab the same way in went into the lab.

They were studying a bat virus that can infect humans but normally does not because we don't get real close to infected bats.

They were studying it, and it walked out with a human carrier and spread quickly. Oh yeah, and they killed all the people who could collaborate this theory.

It is not genetically altered from a lab.

·
Wolverine
9,894 Posts
A few years ago we had a outbreak of Pertussis. Here in Oregon we have a large anti vaccination population. Their though was if most of the population gets the Pertussis vaccination then they were protected(herd protection) and didn't have to have their children get the vaccination. Well with the influx of illegals we started getting numerous "Whooping cough" children. The herd protection failed, and we suddenly had 3-4 times the cases we had in the past. Now modern medicine can treat these kids and we have good results. But for the first time in decades we had a child die. Herd protection only works to a certain point.
“Herd protection only works to a certain point.”

Exactly. In a natural state it works by killing off a significant portion of the population until you are left with a substantial majority with immunity. Take a walk through an old cemetery and see the inordinate number of childhood deaths.

In the diseases where vaccination and/or effective treatment is available, it requires everybody who is able, to do so and buy in. Otherwise there is no herd immunity and we’re back to the natural state.

It remains to be seen whether an effective vaccine will be developed for CoViD19. I certainly hope so.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts