This emotional support thing has gotten way out of hand

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jimcorbin, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

If anyone dared Ban an Obama cut out?? Yes, it would be racist. The FBI would be called into investigate.

Intolerant likes this.
  2. Filhar

Filhar

Really a stretch there. Crazed Shi-Tsu!! My wife's 4 pound Pom is in a cloth carrier on her lap when the Stewardess isn't petting it.

3. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

My post referred to situations where Emotional Support Animals might cause serious, traumatic injuries or even death to others around it. If you would like more detail, I'll be happy to explain it further.

(Just edited) Why is that a "stretch" Philar, could you explain why? I'm not referring to you small Pom for instance, no problems there although I disagree with small dogs arse's sitting in the same shopping cart I put food in at the grocery store ;)

4. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I work at a University where there in now a dorm that allows students to bring their "best friends" (a.k.a. - pets) to live with them as well as several close living communities that also allow pets. At the beginning of the fall semester, you would not believe the number of students that were bringing their animals to class. This caused notification to go out that only qualified emotional support and service animals were allowed in the buildings.

All of the sudden, a bunch of these same pets were sporting emotional support animal vests that I assume can be easily bought on the internet. So, once again, notification was sent out that only QUALIFIED animals were allowed in the buildings. Faculty were permitted to ask students about their animals' qualifications. Suddenly it was if someone turned off a faucet, and pets were no longer being taken to class.

I work with students learning to become teachers and we recently had a student that was going out for pre-service field work prior to her clinical teaching semester. In her third semester of pre-service work, she suddenly asks if she can take her emotional support animal to her field placement with her. Turns out her animal was a rabbit, but our feeling was if she needed emotional support doing pre-service work, there was no way she was ever to to make it as a full time teacher and manage a classroom if she needed an animal to get through it. She was told no, and it turns out she made it through the rest of the program just fine without bringing her rabbit with her.

I have no doubt that emotional support animals can be an effective means of treatment, but I also feel that there are a lot of people prone to abuse the emotional support status just so they don't have to leave fido home alone during the day. I have absolutely no issue at all with bonafide service animals, although I do have a student story about that kind too.

5. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Yep, I agree. Sometimes, we have to pull up our big boy pants and deal with **** in the world. Don't like it or can't handle it? Don't go out in the world where Fluffy can't accompany you.

I'm in the beginning of the process to see if I've got PTSD from my former gig. I've had a few incidents where my anxiety kicked into high gear just by being in certain areas and around less-than-savory folks. If I can avoid those places/people, I do. If I can't...well, I do what I said above, and deal with it. Suck it up, buttercup...embrace the suck....man up...sack up....whatever saying gets you through the day.

As far as my dogs go - I've got a pup named Belle that's a 3 year old chocolate Lab. She is to me as one of my kids (sorry Dale, just the way things are, lol). I love my little girl and she loves me. We have a bond that I've never had with any other dog and likely never will. She's "the one", as it were. But, I don't take my girl out just to feel better. That's reserved for when I get home. No matter how pissed off I make my wife, or how much my kids/job/people irritate me, Belle is always excited to see me and makes me feel better.

But, I'm a grown-ass man. I can deal with life outside of my home without having my dog with me.

First off - proving a negative.
    Secondly, why the random capitalization of words?
    Third - which organization?
    Fourth - data that shows service dogs trained for autistic people aren't "that much of a stretch" from Fluffy the Wonder Python or Champ the Awesome Pit Bull? I had a guy bring an "emotional support dog" into my work office before I retired. It tried to bite one of my fellow officers and I told him to get it the **** out before I shot it. That seemed to offend him...but I pointed out that my captain heard the entire exchange and she didn't give a ****, so he needed to get to stepping. "Emotional Support Animals" are bull****, plain and simple.

If it's a legitimate service animal, then it will be trained and no one will have a problem with Ruffy the Holiest of all Great Danes attempting to eat off the buffet counter or with Barkley the Dynamic Kitty Cat taking a **** on the dining room floor at Applebees. I'm an amateur retriever trainer and know how much work is involved in simply getting my dog to hold steady when I shoot, then retrieve a bird and bring it to my hand. Training a legit service dog takes a lot more time and money...the issue with these dumbasses and their ESA's is one of training and even of species. Reptiles and the like shouldn't even be considered as they can't be trained, per se. Conditioned to specific responses, yes. Trained - no. Try training a snake to NOT eat the mouse in front of it until given a command....it ain't gonna work. Yet, I can do exactly that with any of my labs - and have.

If you're such a soft ass that you NEED a ESA to interact with the public, then I'd submit you shouldn't BE in the public until such time as you don't need that ESA. If you're a vet with PTSD that affects you that much, well - how in the holy hell did you make it through your service in the first place? Yes, PTSD is a real problem. I'm glad that it's being addressed in the military community and finally seeing steps to address it in the realm of public safety (just read a study that shows corrections officers show rates of PTSD comparable to those of combat vets, for instance). But, we individuals who have/might have PTSD owe it to society to interact safely and shouldn't expect the rest of the world to cater to us. I'm cool with service dogs - not animals, because dogs are really the only animals capable of being properly trained and being placed in everyday life - being allowed anywhere at any time. I'm not cool with stupid people who think their pet rat should be allowed anywhere that a seeing eye dog, seizure detecting dog, or any other dog that is highly trained and obedient can go. It's just stupid to suggest otherwise.

sas-G19, Intolerant and jimcorbin like this.
  6. Terry G

Terry G

A cardboard cut out? That goes beyond dumb. Our society is soooo about LOOK AT ME! Anything for attention. The emotional support thing is so far out of hand that it's really infringing on other peoples rights. Here's what I've seen. In a rural, lightly populated area. Foot long Alligator carried into the Kwik Trip. Four Kittens in a basket in a grocery store. A Monkey carried on a Woman's shoulder in the same grocery store. She did get booted for that one. A full sized St. Bernard, slobber and all, in a fairly fancy steak house. I love Dog's. My Labrador goes everywhere with me. Where she doesn't go is any of the places I've named. It's a DOG! The Steak House thing turned really bad. Legally, the Dog was a support Dog, the management said they couldn't do anything. The law, you know. People waiting for a table left. At least a dozen people left without paying for their meal. Having lived on C rations for quite a few meals while pulling flies out of your meal it takes more than a bit to put me off my feed, but the sight of that Dog drooling was too much to subject my Wife (A Dog and Cat lover) too.

7. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

it's been rumored for years that Richard Gere flew with a support gerbil. This was just recently confirmed when the TSA started using the body scanners...

jimcorbin likes this.
  8. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

100_1436.JPG

9. DAKA

DAKA

No, shipping a dog is a sure way for it to die....I would NEVER ship my dog....Oh. I forgot ..................I DON'T FLY ANYPLACE ANY MORE...(but I would t Bella and Zena .jpg ake the Fur Babies if we did)

serve_and_protect likes this.
  10. faceplant

faceplant

Part of the blowback is because people with untrained animals put an internet vest on precious and think they should be allowed to take the mutts anywhere.
    As far as you being ashamed to be part of a group......

Intolerant likes this.
  11. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Where are vets with PTSD and autistic children with legitimate service animals (not ESA) being turned away?

jimcorbin likes this.
  12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Really blowing that out of proportion.

If you don’t own a brachycephalic breed you’re probably gonna be just fine.

jimcorbin likes this.
  13. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

14. Intolerant

Intolerant

DAMNNNNNNN BRO, WELL SAID!!! I could not agree more!!! The liberals have dumbed down this country so bad that is just worse than pathetic. Just downright disgraceful what people try to pull anymore. Safe space my arse... GROW A SET, or STAY THE HELL HOME, is my opinion.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  15. Intolerant

Intolerant

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  16. Intolerant

Intolerant

Damned right!!!! Its just pathetic.

17. Bradd D

Bradd D

18. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Yes, actually I do, but first, that's not how this works. Someone, anyone, you, do not to get to claim efficacy and then say "Prove me wrong!". Theories and hypotheses get developed, then the person or persons behind them have to prove their hypothesis is correct with actual evidence. Your very first question isn't even a valid one, but since you, asked it, I'll answer it.

Yes, I do have evidence that points to the fact that emotional support animals are not the panacea that people like you disingenuously claim they. One study of depressed people showed significantly less improvement with animal-assisted therapy than their healthy counterparts. That indicates that animals aren't the solution. Another study found no improvements in depression, stress, and fatigue in chronic fatigue patients who got pets for emotional support.

Here is my references for you...

Herzog, H. (2011). The Impact of Pets on Human Health and Psychological Well-Being: Fact, Fiction, or Hypothesis? CURRENT DIRECTIONS IN PSYCHOLOGICAL SCIENCE, 20(4), 236–239.

You also have to keep in mind, a lot of research out there on this subject is also tainted by bias and the majority of the evidence is qualitative, rather than quantitative.

And like it or not, coping skills are a better answer. Despite your snarky, sarcastic, and blatantly ignorant comment about "stopping the mental health crisis", pets are not the answer to a myriad of mental health issues. Therapy (which incorporates coping skills) and psychopharmacology are better options than a pet. Can pets help people, sure. Are they the best option? For many that answer is no.

Unlike you, I work in the mental health field and in a few months I'll be completing an advanced degree in the field and prescribing medications to this patient population and I already treat these people every day. Guess what I don't do, I don't supply emotional support animals, I use evidence-based methods like CBT and DBT, to teach things like cognitive restructuring and coping skills. I do things that actually work.

And before you go any further, I'm not talking about legitimately trained service dogs. I'm talking about emotional support animals and shysters like you that claim they are the cure-all and ask questions like "Can you prove they don't work?".

badge315, E-2-E and jimcorbin like this.
  19. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

With 100% sincerity, I bow down to your greatness... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well said my friend, well said.

sas-G19 likes this.
  20. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Why, thank you. We need to meet up one of these days, I reckon.

As far as the topic at hand - my anxiety can be quite pervasive at times. When I can avoid situations that stress me out, I do. Other times...well, I wore a uniform for 20 years and didn't get through it by being a sissy. Anxiety or not, fear or not - I'm a man. That means doing things in spite of being scared or anxious.

Hell, my anxiety rarely played a role in direct day-to-day job decisions when I was an officer. Too often, training and common sense were what I used to handle the events at work. Time frequently didn't allow for such niceties as thinking things through, as I'm sure you recall from your own time in the field.

It's usually when I have time to (over)think about things that my anxiety kicks in and threatens to stifle me. But, as I said, when that happens - I sack up and do it anyway. Hell, most of the time, my anxiety is majorly unwarranted, lol. For real, though - if you can't get through life without having a dog beside you at every moment just to calm you down...I'd submit that you shouldn't be allowed in public at all. At least, not without adult supervision.

sas-G19, E-2-E and chiefjack like this.