Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > This current health scare has taught all of us one thing about “prepping”.

This current health scare has taught all of us one thing about “prepping”.

1. The concept of “bugging out” is a fallacy. I just don’t see it as a viable option under almost any situation.

Regardless of nearly any condition, at least here in the Midwest, the safest place to be is in my home.

2. I thought it was to keep 3 months of TP on hand.

But yeah, I’ve never bought into the bugging out mentality. Unless you’re super rich with a luxury disaster bunker. Stay in one place where you have supplies and know the lay of the land.

3. If you were in NYC or Seattle, bugging out would have been a great idea.

4. Why has it taught you that?

Certainly not my view on it.

5. Has taught me that approximately 5 million Chinese escaped BEFORE government lockdown.
    Gooberment failure. We need to learn the signs and pay attention.

Just my random thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. I understand viewpoints may vary. That’s why I mentioned the Midwest.

There is no way that I, at 60, would be able to leave my home and forage my way to.........where? And carry all of that clothing, gear, food, and whatever else I need to survive just doesn’t make sense.

nikkerett even mentioned bugging out of New York or Seattle, but some reports state that state PD’s are sending them back.

It just makes more sense to me to be prepped and ready at home.

7. Shelter in place is de riguer(sp?)where we live.

8. Yep, for most problems- “bugging-in” is more viable. Prep for home first, second and third options- bugging out is an absolute last resort.

9. Sounds more like it’s not an option for you, because you don’t have a place to go, or a plan.

10. Bugging out wouldn't work for me. If there was a mass panic the freeways would be parking lots. A motorcycle might make it out but how much could you carry on a bike. At age 73 this is where I make my last stand.

11. OK, so what would you consider a viable plan?

And what is a viable location?

I’m miles into the country, with two potable water sources, two energy sources, enough food for a couple of months, enough prescription drugs for three months, and enough lead, powder, and primers to load for several different calibers.

I live in the place that everyone wants to go to, so why leave?

12. Sounds like a place to stay and a plan. :D

13. Bugging out is something most people will resort to after an extended amount of time. Most people will bug in... but unless you live in a Walmart, you’ll run out of supplies or become a target of the zombies.

14. Buggin out here will only be the eye`s of an intruder at my property. This guy ain`t goin nowhere.

Besides, it dosent make sense to me to run somewhere else unfamiliar to me.
    I spent the majority of my life right where i`m at... might as well stick it out.

15. That’s nice, bugging out is usually not a first choice.

But that doesn’t make it a fallacy.

I live an hour outside the city, have tons of food ammo and supplies.

I also have a place to go if I need to leave here for some reason, and a plan on what to take and how to get there.

16. I agree

Makes me wish I had a place outside of the city, stocked up with supplies

17. I'm in NYC. I could have bugged out. There's a house sitting empty in the Pocanos available to me if I want it. I figure I'm better off where I am. I'm in Manhattan, not in the areas of the boroughs where the worst of the outbreak is. I'm surrounded by hospitals, including some of the best in the country. The Manhattan hospitals don't seem to be getting hit as hard as the ones in the boroughs. And by the stats, the infection rate here is a lot lower.

I've had no problem getting food or other supplies (except maybe toilet paper, which I was well stocked on before the SHTF.) I have a car, so if I want to get out of the city and hit the big suburban supermarkets, I can if I want to (and have since this started.) And I haven't seen the slightest hint of civil disturbance. In fact, it's the other way around. It's been unnaturally quiet, especially at night.

But while I think planning to bug out during a SHTF situation can be hugely problematic, in this situation it hasn't. A lot of people in NYC have weekend houses in a number of rural/resort areas well outside of the city, and a lot of those people bugged out to them. AFAIK they had no problem doing so. By the time other states started talking about trying to keep NYers out, they ones that wanted to leave already were where they were going. In a faster moving disaster, it would likely be different.

18. Home is best for me. Where would I go? Utah is a very inhospitable environment to just “bug out” into.

19. some states if you bug out and are on the road the "man" will nab ya. next go round of Simon says they will probably start chootin' folks on the road

20. I've got a place I could go to above Willcox. I'll most likely stay here.

21. Bugging out really only seems to make sense for city folk as a whole. For those of us who live in the country on acreage bugging in is definitely preferred. However even those people should have a bugout plan in case of a wild fire or something else that forced you off your land.

A bugout location doesn’t have to be a remote cabin in the woods or a camp site in the National forest. In fact I’d say those 2 scenarios are more based on fantasy than reality. A friend or family member’s house that’s away from the chaos is definitely the most ideal bugout location. If you lived in NYC right now that family or friends farm in PA would be looking awfully enticing right now. My sister in law lived in Manhattan until last month. When this thing kicked off she was in London for work. She didn’t even bother heading back to NYC. She booked a flight to Missouri and has been living with her other sister ever sense. That is a very real example of a real life bugout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. I live where I would have bugged out to. HH

23. This isn't like the proverbial(?) EMP strike where there's no means of communication or transportation or public services... water, sewer, and trash pickup, and more important... no law enforcement. But it would be better to be in a less densely populated situation... if you have one.
    Everyone can't bugout to the woods or boonies and live off the land. We are well off here at home, but don't have a defensible bunker, so it could get bad for us if there are food shortages and necessities become harder to get. Some people might become desperate enough to try to "share" others' bounty, or perceived bounty.
    Hopefully, things won't get too desperate and we'll get control of this pandemic and can get back to recreating some kind of normalcy. It's going to be more painful, though, and take a while, unfortunately.
    We're not diehard preppers, but we do stay ready for hurricanes and don't just buy or keep on hand day-to-day supplies.
    Good luck out there and keep your powder dry, so to say. :)

24. Same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. It depends what you are talking about.
    If you live in a apartment... having your folks place in the country could be a advantage for everyone. Your folks have help, you have a safe place to stay.
    IF there is a widespread disruption. (Which it’s remotely possible). Stores might not be stocked...

26. This is kind of what you need to do. In a quickly developing acute crisis, getting out of a major metropolitan area, and even moving around in one, would likely be impossible. Look at what happens when the want to evacuate Houston for a big hurricane.

27. The biggest thing I see, is that this scenario doesn’t call for bugging out.

That doesn’t mean the next one won’t.

Given the long lapse between the initial infection and start of symptoms, consider if this had a mortality rate of Measles (15%) or Ebola (50% or more) and suddenly this could be a reason to bug out. Especially if someone happens to fly into your local town.

If the trucks carrying supplies stop coming even for just a few weeks, things are going to get awful sporty just about everywhere.

Plan A, should probably almost always be to stay where you are and ride out the situation.

But it’s good to have a plan incase you can’t stay.

28. Even our state's billboards state, "It's The Last Best Place." HH

29. **Prep for COVID 19 , 20 & 21 by sending canned SPAM to inland China to up their dietary standards (starting with Wuhan first) ... Seriously , if the Chinese do not curb their appetite for "paleolithic era food sources" (i.e. snakes , rats , bats , etc.) then we are going to get jammed up with mutated versions of COVID 19 again and again ... Perhaps if the West (starting with President Trump) would demand restitution from China - we might see an end from such viruses a little sooner . The negative publicity alone would eventually force the Chinese government's hand to shut down the sources of the virus (i.e. open air rodent and reptile markets) from interior China .

30. Can my wife and I and 2 dogs come live with you?

31. If I could afford to drop off the face of the Earth, with my family, for 3-6 months, I certainly would. It would be easier in the sense of, change of scenery, going on a vacation, adventure for the kids, etc.

Seeing as how that's not in the budget, I will definitely be more prepared for the next apocalypse so it doesn't quite suck as much as this one.

Honestly though, we're homebodies anyway. The only rough part is being told what we can and can't do. And the thought of what the less prepared might do if things get tighter. Otherwise, it's a low budget staycation.

32. You already bugged out.

33. Florida - Checking people at the border

Rhode Island - attempts to block New Yorkers from visiting and searched the state for New Yorkers to quarantine or kick out.

South Lake Tahoe California - Unless you are a full-time resident you are not welcome or allowed to travel there. Other cities in rural southern California have issued similar orders.

Short-term rentals (Air-BnB) have been shut down by communities across the country to keep non-locals out.

34. Bugging out or staying home are situational, based on the circumstances of the time.

Also, what we are currently experiencing is nothing close to SHTF; essential services remain, most things are available at stores, and you can still get a pizza delivered in most areas, along with your groceries. Most importantly, the power is still on, and with it all our modern conveniences are still operational. We still have cell service and the Internet.

This situation is, for most people, an inconvenience to their daily routine.

35. Lots of folks don't have a bug out location, and can't afford one. And yes, this is not a TEOTWAWKI. As long as essential services stay one, things will be just fine...we'll get through this.

The only reason we would bug out is our neighborhood being evacuated for a gas leak, a train wreck spilling chlorine or something dangerous, or similar event. That's a short term event (days to some weeks) and we would head to a relative's house. But for a bad event of universal nature, we have no where to go; the roads would be clogged, people stopped at city limits or state borders, etc. Our supplies, weapons, ammo, and lives are at home. I'm no longer in shape to hump a ruck sack with everything my wife and I need to survive. And we surely aren't the only ones like this.

36. If the roads are shut down you won't go anywhere. Rural need to bug-in and be ready for the city folk to try and get to where you are.

37. Bugging in is your ‘comfort spot’, home, where the majority of your stockpile should be. Most times, bugging in will work just fine.
    However, having at least a secondary plan would be smart and prudent. Never know what fire/tornado/hurricane/volcano may hit your house or AO.
    Merely knowing of or having a second point to land could be a life saver. If you can have some pre-stored goods there, even better. If not, having a couple ways to get there and bring some items would be second best.
    Just food for thought.

38. Living in central TX, I think "bugging out" isn't a viable choice. Any place worth bugging out to would be overwhelmed with 4x4s screaming around, too many people quite willing to try to take what you've got.

If you have a shelter, it won't be secret for very long and the animals will eventually take you down.

So, we have 3 mo of food, tons of water and far more ammo than I can conceivably need to defend myself. Staying where we are. Don

39. That's always been my thought too. I told my wife once, "If things break down, we're not getting into our car and getting stuck in traffic and sharing the road with panicked morons. We're staying right here."

40. Perhaps, you should have said the current situation shows it’s not viable for YOU to bug out.

Im in a similar situation. Small “city” containing everything needed to do more than get by. Even our industry is all essential. The only places closed are art stuff and clothing stores. If it wasn’t for the empty shelves and more people being at home, I wouldn’t know there was an issue (by looking at what I can see).

Until I can buy a nice place in the country, my bugging out destinations (two pre-planned) are both in the extreme rural of Kansas (three hours away) and Oklahoma (six hours away). Two years ago, I really wasn’t worried about being able to make it out there, if we had to. Now, I’m having health issues and am glad I live where I live.

The thing this situation should teach us is the opportunity to bug out will likely be hidden in a very small window of time. For those who can, having a camper is really handy.

41. 990D93C7-BFEE-42C7-99F6-AA371FC61EDC.jpeg
    Camper........I forgot about the camper! I really need to get that thing ready for whatever’s next.

42. As long as what you're saying is that it is a "fallacy" for you personally, you may be right. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you could be more wrong.

Besides, this event isn't even close to the situation that most preppers are preparing for, so while it does show us that prepping can be useful so you don't run out of toilet paper, I'm not sure it shows us much else.

43. I think the run on toilet paper, guns, ammo, pasta and frozen veggies shows how unprepared and panicked a lot of people are to just sit in their house for a while. Just think how those folks would react if it was something a lot worse.

44. This emergency is not a reason to believe that “bugging out” is not to be considered.

This disaster is no where as bad as it could be. Imagine if the power went out. Deliveries couldn’t be made. Bugging out might be the smart option.

If the power was out, how would New Yorkers heat their homes? Fire? Now imagine the potential firestorm that could happen especially if the fire department was not available. Or just a fire if you experienced an earthquake. Bugging out might be the best option in many cases.

45. Half of NYC and NJ bugged out to my area of Northeast PA, seems to be working for them!

46. Ouch! Too bad for you, though!

47. "Bugging out" would apply perfectly to this situation - in fact, I can't think of one where "bugging out" would be a more certain solution than a communicable disease pandemic.

Look around - a whole lot of people have no job to go to and the only thing they need to do to stay safe is to avoid contact with others. If you had a bugout cabin in the woods, prepped with survival supplies, you could go up there and never even notice the pandemic hysteria that's going on.

The problem with "bugging out" for most of us, is that we just realized we only have a bugout bag and not a place to bugout to.

48. I wish we could kick the New Yorkers out of NEPA in the Poconos....

They're filling up the parking lots, stores, and I'm sure eventually the hospital here in my quiet rural county.

49. And therein lies the problem.

While some may have the fortunes that such a place may require, or possibly relatives in safer areas, one could expect to meet the National Guard if crossing state lines during issues much great than this, and in some cases, even now.

50. This seems the most flexible option. Hearing stories of medical professionals who are self-quarantining in their driveways in campers so they don't expose their families.

There is no absolute way to protect yourself, though you can increase the odds of delaying effects by planning and having options. Just have to be flexible. Remember Burt Gummer having his compounds and supplies blown up or made inaccessible in 'Tremors'.

I am glad to hear from NYC that the populace seems to be dealing with this mess and that help is being delivered from the Feds and other places and that average citizens are doing their jobs to keep things going. And of course the medical professionals who are the front line of this war. (Thanks, folks).