This current health scare has taught all of us one thing about “prepping”.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Mormon Doctrine is six months of supplies. My neighbor's garage looks like a Costco.

[​IMG]

Now that is my ideal of being prepared. :cowboy:

Westexas and TheDreadnought like this.
  2. rock_castle

rock_castle All Lives Matter

I have a cabin in the woods, but my choice is to stay right here surrounded by good conservative freedom-loving patriots.

Westexas and DaleGribble like this.

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Oh hell, then you're a city-loving liberal who believes in Obamacare, Bernie Sanders, Medicare-For-All, that Elizabeth Warren is really a Cherokee Chief, and that Trump eats baby puppies every day!

:D

But seriously though, same here. I'm in a small town full of mostly like-minded people with very little crime. If **** really kicked off, I'd rather be here with a network of people around me.

That Rambo life won't last long for a lot of people.

Westexas, DocCasualty, jame and 2 others like this.
  4. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Here in Florida, we have two words: HUNKER DOWN!

Westexas and ranger1968 like this.
  5. rock_castle

rock_castle All Lives Matter

There is strength in numbers. If you're alone then your days are numbered.

Westexas likes this.
  6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

If there is a fuel shortage. It’s normal to issue a temporary waiver for fuel. If you show receipt from area, explain they will not ticket you for short time with dyed fuel. (After hurricanes) it’s recommended you use as much fuel, refill less then half, run it near dry ASAP. Months later there better not be a hint of pink. Funny thing. My truck has never been checked. I normally notice start of delay, switch to alternate, see trucks being stopped. Neighbor with a old gas pickup was upset. They demanded to dip his tank for off road dsl. Telling, showing them it’s a gas motor didn’t matter. If it’s a 3/4 ton or larger they must be checked. Those who abuse non tax fuel get $$$$. Area farm was really stupid. Had a pickup get caught. $$$ so employee calls boss. Stupid boss shows up with his fancy pickup, it’s dipped red fuel. $$$. He argues.
    So they go to his farm and check every licensed dsl truck. All red fuel. Court order he can not own a dsl pickup, nor can the farm. Random testing of larger trucks. Huge fine.

This is a family forum. I would expect this from G30 F250....

East to their own I guess..

;)

Westexas likes this.
  7. OGW

OGW SAF

I have something far above 300K miles on diesel trucks and have never been checked. Anywhere, ever. On the other hand, my neighbor is a logger with a Pete and he's caught the dip a couple times.

Westexas likes this.
  8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I know of an old abandoned yet still standing in good shape school house about 2 hours drive from here. I've been there once, and it's out in the middle of nowhere. That's as far as I've gotten to planning for a bug-out "place" to go to. But I have no sleeping bag, so sleeping in the backseat of my Cadillac would be more preferable than sleeping on a dusty wooden floor.

[​IMG]

It's open year-round, and complete with two outhouses in back, and a nearby unmarked cemetery (which I couldn't find when I visited there last year). I don't remember seeing the outhouses, nor do I remember it being this nice overall. But it was decent enough, and at least it's a roof if needed. There was a big-ass wasp flying around inside one of the windows when I was there last....I didn't stick around, that thing was huge.

There's also an abandoned gas station/mill store nearby that I could break into if I absolutely had to.

[​IMG]

Getting there would be the biggest problem, taking into consideration traffic. It's 114 miles from where I live, down I-84 Eastbound away from Portland. That would be hell to try and fight during a panic. The longer route would be trying to use HW-14 on the Washington side, but it's a smaller highway with the same theoretical problems: traffic in a mass-panic situation. Ideally, I would try and book it before things got that bad. But as we all know, such ideal situations are rarely reality during such a apocalyptic scenario.

Beyond that though, my other biggest problem would be food. I could pack a week's supply out there, and build a fire in the gravel if I had to...there is plenty of wood available, but it's not ideal. I also have lots of water to take with me. But then what do I do when the food I have runs out? I only know the basics about hunting, and nothing about skinning and gutting game, nor do I know what the game situation is out there.

The school building has a brick chimney, but I don't recall if it has a fireplace or stove. Probably long taken out if it did to lessen the possibility of a structure fire. I could cook something over camp fire if I had to.

Hopefully we never get to being this dire as a society. By that point, I have a feeling it's going to be a "kill or be killed" kind of panic, with lawlessness and anarchy rampant. The best I could hope for is getting my parents out of town to safety somewhere, but I doubt they would want to leave, so I would probably have to hole up with them at their place, or leave a pistol with them and fend for myself, depending on the situation.

Westexas likes this.
  9. BradD

BradD

You're already bugged out. Lol

jame likes this.
  10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

11. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Bugging out is for when leaving is better than staying. California forest fires or New Orleans flooding are examples.

12. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

I take it you like mutton?

13. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. Pluto57

Pluto57

I agree that most folks don't have a true bug out plan with an actual bug out location, but that doesn't mean that having a true bug out plan with an actual bug out location isn't a worthy goal.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I've been saying for years that the most likely SHTF scenarios would involve bugging in. And the most likely scenarios involving bugging out would be localized for the most part (hurricanes, nuke plant meltdowns, terrorist WMD attacks), which means all you would have to do is travel 100 or 200 miles and get a motel room.

I was fairly well prepped for this COVID-19 event but certainly could have done better. I guarantee I will do better next time.

Bomber Nav, METS and jame like this.
  16. BBMW

BBMW

When this subject got brought up, I was wondering if they (whoever they are) routinely check diesel pick up trucks.

I wonder if changing the badging on the truck would cut down on that?

17. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Thanks for the info!

18. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Very interesting.

I didn't know this.

Thanks for the info!

Do you have a link to the BATFE page where it lists the requirements for dual residency?

Thanks again for the info!

19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Unlike Y2K, we have plenty of cheap gas, high-speed internet, and better cable TV. :eat:

Jade Falcon and cbetts1 like this.
  20. cbetts1

cbetts1

The only time I would consider bugging out is if I had to work in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore etc. I would have a plan just in case. Disease spreads fast, food is gone quickly, roving gangs etc.