This current health scare has taught all of us one thing about “prepping”.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

A bug our place in a very rural area is a great thing to have if you can manage it and absolutely have to leave home (forest fire inbound, etc). We had a very small second home in the country - it was continuously being broken into. No way we could of kept food, guns, furniture or any other supplies there. Dirtbags even stripped all the copper wire out and I had to have the whole house rewired. Even if we could have gotten there, the house would be stripped bare.

pntblnk, Dr. Leaky and Westexas like this.
  2. jmohme

jmohme

That is exactly right in most situations, but if I lived in NYC, I would have bugged out for sure.

My step bro bugged out to his hunting cabin, but he had other really good reasons for doing that.

Westexas likes this.

3. Pluto57

Pluto57

That wouldn't stop preppers from getting to their bug out location, but again, if you've waited until the government is stopping travel, you've waited too long anyway.

Westexas and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I am old and beat up. I am going no place. If i dont stock at least a month of tp and food i am an idiot. Also meds.. so far so good. Food is still available. Fuel is not a problem.

If people could not panic and could afford a month or 2 of food and basic supplies there would be little fuss about this virus.

The folks that bought a years worth of tp or food after the virus started are not great people. They are the people with warm feet that poke holes in the liferaft cause it suits them.

5. Pluto57

Pluto57

If you've actually acquired a bug out location, it isn't a fantasy. If you haven't, well then you wouldn't be fantasizing, you'd be delusional since you can't bug out to someplace that doesn't exist.

A bug out location isn't necessarily a remote cabin in the middle of nowhere. There are lots of options and in a true SHTF situation just about any place is better than a large city.

Westexas likes this.
  6. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I live in a small town neighborhood a number of miles from any major cities. I have nowhere better to go than to hold down the fort at my residence. If I had to evacuate due to a natural disaster or something of the sort, I would probably be calling in a favor with a farmer friend. If it's bad enough for me to leave I'd imagine it would be bad enough for him to benefit from another set of hands, eyes, and a little added security.

I don't have flashy things and don't show off what I do have, so people likely wouldn't find it worth the fight to try to break in to my house.

Main thing this has taught me is to have some things in the freezer and some necessities to get by for a month or so if I had to - really not a bad practice for life in general.

ZekerMan and Westexas like this.
  7. Westexas

Westexas

Both of our prospective bug out locations are already occupied. The first is a ranch.
    Good location. Plenty of fish and game. The problem? The owner is bringing in all of his relatives who have virtually no survival skills. This going to sound harsh, but some of them have no useful skills at all. Great that he wants to help out family, but he’s basically going to become a baby sitter.

Our second location is a house out in the country that’s owned by a couple with some survival skills. He is a PA and she is a Pharmacist. Both have stockpiled a lot. Both have weapons and know how to use them. The only neighbor lives next door and he’s a hunting guide. He’s also a prepper. This couple also has the wisdom not to take in a lot of people.

Needless to say, this couples home is now our first choice for bugging out. With that said, I seriously doubt that this pandemic would require that.

jame likes this.
  8. astepup

astepup

I have enough preps that I can be completely independent for about eight months if alone. Should a true shtf scenario begin to play out I'd have four more mouths to feed (kids and grandson) but even then we'd be the last ones in the area to go hungry. Providing of course that it's a well kept secret. We all know how those usually work out.

Westexas likes this.
  9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Not picking on you. But you made some good points, and have a bit of blinder on.

A person NEEDS to have a place to go. Where you not only are welcome, but expected, known, wanted...
    First it takes time, effort, and some cash. Few are willing to do that during normal times.
    Odds are it’s family. Someone lives in rural location. Older home site? Visit during summer, during a family event... you can buy a used 5th wheel that’s not road worthy for less then $5000 delivered by seller. If there is a shed. The roof can be recovered, made livable. Set near septic tank, any access, plug into extension cord, run water hose.. you have place to stay fairly comfortable. (I say 5th because that’s what I’m looking at now. It seems their value is dropping fast)
    You pay rent to store it under cover, pack it with stable stuff, insect, vermin protection... talking with landowner, relative... you have bug out location, and vacation spot.
    Of course if you have a pickup. (Even half ton) for $14k you can get a road worthy unit. Still store it there. But take to parks, area lakes. (I doubt I would travel far in that price range but within state..)
    I’m likely to buy 5th. Just for family that might decide to bug out.

Westexas and serve_and_protect like this.
  10. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

How can you be a dual resident of two states at the same time?

I thought you could only be a resident of one state (the state that your driver's license is from).

FullClip likes this.
  11. Westexas

Westexas

Wouldn’t stop us, just slow us down. Right now I’m charging one of the batteries for our 2 Pedelecs with our solar generator. We can use these for alternative transportation. Not as good as a horse and trailer, but it’ll work.

12. Con43

Con43

How are they determining full time residences. Do either states residences count.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  13. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Not the OP you quoted, but you can file for dual residency if your firm sends you to work in another state for more than half a year, while your home address is still in a different state. The question is why would you want to though? It's a rare claim because most people do everything to avoid claiming dual residency since you'll owe full taxes to both states.

14. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Jeeeezus....don't give them any ideas!!

ZekerMan likes this.
  15. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Bug or not to bug out that is the question

It is conditional based upon the threat.

Hurricane are something that come to mind.

2018 Florence hit NC and because of the incredible amount of rain resulted in the entire Wilmington are to be isolated as all bridges are closed for over one week.
    Big river levels even caused Interstate I-40 closures .

More specifics to my home, it was on a sound and if only a few intersections were washed out , I transit would've possible .

Florence prep for us was to book a hotel room in Durham. That hurricane pounded the area for four days.

Another reason to leave would've Forrest fires as occured in CA.

Some times though it is better to stay home. Again depends upon your location.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  16. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Not according to the ATF. You can establish a home in two different states, you can be a dual resident. You can’t vote in two different states in a federal election . You can have driver’s licenses from two different states. Florida “snowbirds “ do. A SCOTUS case involving gun purchases and dual residency has been heard.
    The ATF has mentioned in their webpage and what they want to see to be considered a dual resident in their eyes.

17. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

It taught me that stupid people get even more stupid at times like these

nikerret and FullClip like this.
  18. briarpatch

briarpatch

This is a wake up call.
    If you dont have at least a years supply of food and essentials (2 years are better) )it will find you back where most have started but perhaps in worse shape.
    It does not have to be a world event, there is nothing wrong or shameful in being prepared.
    I have been to many places that have been hit with natural disasters to help people "dig out". Katrina, flooding in Albany Ga. several places in Florida from hurricanes.
    Was scheduled to go to NC for floods when the hurricane hit in Panama City Florida and was diverted there instead.
    Most victims were lost and had nothing, no idea what to do, a burden on others but then the prepared would say when we showed up. Go help my neighbor I have all I need, we can make it.
    Any prep you make should include your family so encourage them to prepare also.
    I own a few acres and home in another state that is rural but with the work arrangement of my family members it would have been hard to leave and go there. So I bug in. At least I have an option.
    Any thing we do as far as leaving would require going fast before things begin to happen.

19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ha-Ha...but if the police pull you over and stick your tank, you are in a world of trouble.

Anybody out there with a coal-rolling pick up truck ever get their fuel tank checked for pinkness??

nikerret, OGW and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I've said it a million times, 99% of the bugout talk on the internet is nothing more than mental masturbation.

I have a family with young kids and a modest income, bugging out would be impossible for me as I would have nowhere to bug out too nor a vehicle big enough to carry what would be needed to make us completely self-sufficient more than a day or two. The vast majority of America is in similar circumstances.

One day when I can afford a cabin in the woods...

jame, OGW, Bomber Nav and 1 other person like this.