Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
A swamp dude
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a small compressor for my home workshop. My needs are light duty (airing tires, parts cleaning/drying, general equipment cleaning, etc.) but I want a compressor that will have enough capacity that it doesn't cycle continuously like my little $69 Craftsman unit used to do.

Has anyone had experience with this one from Porter Cable:

PORTER-CABLE 0.8-HP 6-Gallon 150-PSI Electric Air Compressor
Item #: 349204 Model #: C2002
150 PSI max tank pressure stores more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
6-gal. pancake-style tank for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet

Lowe's has this one for $169. The hose and other attachments would cost extra.

Is there a better value out there that I should consider? $169 is about my price limit

Reactions: Alice Angelica

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Check out this review list. You can sort it by any column by clicking on the top column title... e.g., [email protected], Noise, etc.

Compressor REVIEWS -
http://www.air-compressor-reviews.net/

I just bought the Rolair JC10, because it was as large as I needed it to be, and it is incredibly quiet for use in the house. It WAS more expensive than planned, but I'm very pleased with it thus far.

You'll note that the PC you're looking at - C2002 - is rated at 82 dba, which is loud enough to want to wear ear plugs if you're near it, IMHO. I also read some 'less-than-positive' reviews on that model when I started... because I started with that model and worked from there after figuring I wouldn't be happy with it. YMMV.

Have fun, and good luck!

Reactions: PhotoFeller

·
A swamp dude
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out this review list. You can sort it by any column by clicking on the top column title... e.g., [email protected], Noise, etc.

I just bought the Rolair JC10, because it was as large as I needed it to be, and it is incredibly quiet for use in the house. It WAS more expensive than planned, but I'm very pleased with it thus far.

You'll note that the PC you're looking at - C2002 - is rated at 82 dba, which is loud enough to want to wear ear plugs if you're near it, IMHO. I also read some 'less-than-positive' reviews on that model when I started... because I started with that model and worked from there after figuring I wouldn't be happy with it. YMMV.

Have fun, and good luck!
Well, what I read about the Rolair JC10 is very positive. I'm just not familiar with the brand or where to buy it. Ballparkish, how much did you pay and where did you buy your JC10?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't know if there's a better "value" out there, but I have the C2002 and like it. It takes about 2 minutes to fill and will kick back on when it hits 100 PSI. It is pretty loud when it's filling.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
if you want a compressor that is going to last, don't buy an "oil less" model. I have a small Craftsmen "hot dog" compressor that takes oil and it is fine for small things like cleaning off my loading bench or filling up tires and it was pretty cheap

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Consider that a larger tank will give you a larger reserve to draw down.

I have a 60 gal. tank with a two stage Sanborn comp. running off 240v. and still have to wait on it sometimes.

I do hobby welding and grinding, mower blades, hobby car work.

Whatever you buy, you will grow into. I cannot imagine not having air.

So, make as big a step up as you can afford, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
42,163 Posts
A six gallon tank is damn small..........

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Oil-less are pretty much disposable. Regular oiled compressors last for decades.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Makita compressors seem pretty popular. This is one of the highest rated compressors I've seen on amazon. Only $30 more than your price limit.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381192818&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+mac+700"]Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51xHJgd79NL[/ame]
I honestly didn't even know Makita made compressors until I was in the market for one.

I recently bought the biggest brother of that compressor, the Mac5200, for work. It's been pretty awesome so far, only been using it for about a week though.

As others have said, go with an oiled compressor if you want any sort of life out of it. They are also typically quieter. Also, if you have the option, buy one in-store locally so you can check it out first. A lot of bad reviews about compressors (at least on amazon) talk about shipping damage.

I bought mine from HomeDepot.com because they didn't have any within driving distance and you can return it to any store if you need to. I got lucky and had no shipping damage.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Well, what I read about the Rolair JC10 is very positive. I'm just not familiar with the brand or where to buy it. Ballparkish, how much did you pay and where did you buy your JC10?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I checked a number of places and double-checked reviews on each and decided on toolnut.com @ $239 w/free shipping. They also had the DeWalt DAP14050 hose I wanted for $10 less than other places, along with miscellaneous pieces and parts. All in all, while the complete package was probably $80 or so more than desired, the compressor is first class.

IF I wasn't using this unit in my basement workshop, and needed to carry it around within the house and outdoors, I don't know that I would have gotten this unit because of the price. But since the noise was a top priority, it came out ahead of the PC, DeWalt and others... including the (mostly) larger oiled compressors.

Yes, I'm sure there will be times I will wish it was larger, but this suits my needs for now just fine... and it drives the Bostitch nailer I also picked up from cpooutlets.com.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would suggest trying another brand based on my last two Porter Cable tools. Something has happened to their quality in recent years.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The OP's 6 gal tank is pretty small,,,,for much use other than occasional moments. And he is not wanting it to cycle a lot,,,I'd say it will run all the time with a 6 gal tank. I now have a 60 gal unit 240V and it will run a lot when I blow off the water of my bike after washing it.

·
Banned
14,313 Posts
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Central-Pneumatic-Gallon-Portable-Compressor/dp/B006ZBDI3O"]Amazon.com: Central Pneumatic 2 HP, 8 Gallon, 125 PSI Portable Air Compressor: Home [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41HZLG5ZeSL[/ame]

I know from personal experience that ↑↑ is a decent unit that will fit the OP's needs and last for years.

Harbor Freight has 'em for 'bout $100 but it seems to be a popular compressor, other stores may carry it too.

It's not good for continuous operation of air tools, but as I said...
It will do well for the OP's needs.

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
I have the pancake you speak of, OP.

It's about 9 years old and has developed a leak. I've yet to find out where it is. However, it ain't too bad and still works for what I need it to.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I use one for the three I own most days. If you need something portable, but with decent capacity, it will work good.
I use it mostly for 18ga brad guns, and sometimes in a pinch, I'll use to spray small stuff.

It will cycle quite a bit if you are using it, and it's pretty loud.

If you are looking for a home 'shop' compressor, then you'll want a bigger tank and not an 'oil less' one.

If you just need something to pump tires, blow off tools and such, it'll work good

I finally found a Curtis for the shop. 10hp, 3 phase, compressor. The thing is a beast.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I bought one of these about a year and a half ago - I like it. It's surprisingly quiet, and has done a fine job during my home renovation of running various nailers and staplers. It's quite handy for inflating tires as well; much easier to drag it out and plug it into an extension cord rather than uncoiling the airhose from my 40-odd year old Craftsman (which at the moment is not working because the 240V line that was feeding it has been removed and I haven't run the new one yet).

I wound up buying a second Makita for work because the boss liked it. (Electronics shop - light duty there, but again, it not being obnoxiously loud is a big benefit.)

For long life and quieter operation, go oiled rather than oilless - all of the oilless ones I've ever heard have been earsplittingly loud.

-Pat

Makita compressors seem pretty popular. This is one of the highest rated compressors I've seen on amazon. Only $30 more than your price limit.
Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor - Amazon.com
I honestly didn't even know Makita made compressors until I was in the market for one.

I recently bought the biggest brother of that compressor, the Mac5200, for work. It's been pretty awesome so far, only been using it for about a week though.

As others have said, go with an oiled compressor if you want any sort of life out of it. They are also typically quieter. Also, if you have the option, buy one in-store locally so you can check it out first. A lot of bad reviews about compressors (at least on amazon) talk about shipping damage.

I bought mine from HomeDepot.com because they didn't have any within driving distance and you can return it to any store if you need to. I got lucky and had no shipping damage.

·
Premium Member
65,073 Posts
You don't have to spend a hell of a lot more to get a hell of a lot more compressor. This one at Northern Tool is only $299 http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396622_200396622 , but it is a v-twin piston compressor with a 30 gallon tank. They are factory refurbed compressors. I have one of their refurb 5 hp 60 gallon tank compressors in my garage. It cost me $350 delivered. Their prices vary, from month to month. Look around before you buy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts