close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This a fair trade?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by johnnv, Mar 18, 2012.

1. johnnv

johnnv

My first post and a question. My local dealer whom I consider fair and honest and a good guy offered to trade straight across his new Gen4 model 21SF for my like new Colt .45 cal 1991A1 series 80 with original box. My Colt is the earlier parkerized model with the large 1991A1 roll mark. Just talking dollars and cents now would this be a fair deal? I currently own a Glock mod. 22 and love it. Being a very old man now on a fixed income this would be the only way I could get the model 21.

2. barth

barth six barrels

You can check gunsamerica.com, and other online sites, to determine a price on your Colt.

You may be better off selling the Colt, buying the Glock
    and pocketing some cash for ammo, sights, mags....

This guys in the business to make money.
    Fair or not, he's not doing it for fun.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

3. Rustin

Rustin

Check out armslist as well. The local dealer would only give me 300 trade in for my Kimber custom ii and private dealers at the gun show would go no higher than 500$. I went on armslist and sold it for $650 in two days!

4. JChapEGS

JChapEGS

From checking a few sites, the G21 is around 600.00 and the Colt 1911 is around 700.00. If I wanted the G21, I'd trade. You have to consider the time and trouble to sell your 1911 and the tax you'll pay on the G21.

A G21 SF is a Gen 3. Gen 4s are all SF with the extra backstraps. Make sure of what you are getting.

JC

5. BIG-DOG

BIG-DOG

That is a pretty good trade in value for a dealer. Like someone else mentioned you would make out a little better selling it yourself but it's more effort on your part. I would make sure it is NIB and not one of the ambi models if you do it. One thing to keep in mind and it doesn't really matter if you think you will keep the Glock long term is the Colt will hold it's value or possibly increase in the future and you will get hosed at a dealer if you go to trade in the Glock down the road .

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

+1 Well said.