Third Gen SW .45s

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I like mine and still shoot them now and then, but with the factory no longer supporting them I have to admit if I carry a DA/SA .45 it's the Sig 220 these days. 0756228E-BF15-43EF-B248-BB4E2160DF90.jpeg

1L26, DrewBone, pgg00 and 2 others like this.
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Forgot to say congrats on the 4516-2! :)

If it were me, I'd used the latest 7rd mag design (large "P-lip" indentation at lips) with the current mag springs and black follower (which retrofits into 3rd gen .45 mags that originally used plastic followers).

The -2 was a pretty bullet-proof, reliable compact pistol.

If you ever notice the occurrence of erratic ejection, check out the nose of the old style ejector, to see if it snapped off. The original short nose ejectors had a sharp corner under the rear of the tip, and might sometimes develop a stress riser. The revised ejector had a curved angle in place of the sharp corner, and a longer nose (to help provide 'faster' ejection when hotter loads were used).

One of our guys once brought an 4516 to the range that he was considering buying from another cop. He said the owner told him that it had sometimes exhibited an ejection problem for several years. I fired 50 rounds through it and noticed a couple of ejection issues. I examined it more closely and noticed the old style ejector tip was snapped off. I replaced the ejector with a newer version. I later learned that once the occasional ejection issue had been corrected, the owner wanted to keep the gun.

The ejector is a drop-in part, presuming you know how to remove the side plate (which means knowing how to replace the ejector/depressor lever (ejector), hammer (don't let sear nose slip to wrong side of hammer hooks during reassembly), the sear release lever and the firing pin safety lever. Proper installation of these parts isn't a difficult task with knowledge and experience, but it can be a daunting thing for first few times. Another way is to consider the use of a properly sized 'assembly pin' (or punch) to slowly drive out the sideplate's pin and continue to hold the parts in place while a new ejector is installed.

Also, if done incorrectly, removing the sideplate's prongs from around the headed end of the sear pin can damage the prongs, as can reinstalling the sideplate around the pin again. There's an easy way to do it, though. Email or PM me if ever find yourself in that situation.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

You're always a wealth of info, thanks.:wavey:
    It's actually a '-1', hopefully that's not a bad thing. I know they want yellow follower mags. I'll have two of them.

rfd339, pgg00 and agtman like this.
  4. fastbolt

fastbolt

The -1 & -2's are fine guns. They told us that after they'd made about 7500 of the original 4516's the engineers decided they needed to make some revision of slide mass and something to do with recoil spring rate for improved reliability. They also ended up with their own special magazine and follower.

The yellow followers are for the particular mag used for the -1's only. The black (improved & revised) follower can be used to replace them according to the factory. However, the latest mags with the large rectangular pressed indentations at the lips are an improvement over the early .45 mags with the little indents toward the rear of the mag body and the smooth (non-pressed indent) lips.

This pic shows the last standard mag lip arrangement on the left (and the specific revision determined needed for the CS45 mags on the right, which had an added set of tall indentations overlapping the bottom/rear of the P-lip indentations).
    [​IMG]

The standard ES1 body for the 3rd gen .45 mags (ES1 stamped on front of mag body) was produced for the 6rd 4513's, the 7rd 4513/457's and the 8rd 4566TSW's (and the 4506's, of course). Except for the specific 6rd mag body made for the CS45 (which had the extra dimples stamped in them), the other 6rd, 7rd & 8rd 3rd gen .45 mags were only different in body length, but used the same follower, buttplate, buttplate insert (plastic or metal) and mag spring.

I didn't keep up on the recoil spring & guide revisions of the early 4516 series, but Wolff Gunsprings offers single springs for both the 4516 & 4516-1 (but they list you have to call for the 4516 spring). I didn't really become interested in the boat anchor 3rd gen .45's until they told us in an armorer class that they were releasing a compact .45 with an aluminum frame. That got my attention, and soon after that I ordered a CS45 and an early model 4513TSW. I didn't order one of the early 457's because I thought the CS45 was enough smaller to make it handier, for me, and for the same size as the compact 457 I could get the refined TSW version of the compact. :) I'd had enough of carrying an all-steel compact .45 with my Combat Commander. ;)

Gary1911A1, Berto and pgg00 like this.
  5. ACE31

ACE31

Love my 645. Your 645 and 4506 transitional model are a awesome pair!

6. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yeah, I always had a soft spot for the 645, even though my 4566 is somewhat better suited for concealed EDC.

To me, the old 645 looked like the type of pistol you would've seen in the hands of one of the characters on that now long-cancelled Sci-Fi series, Firefly.

Berto likes this.
  7. s&wfan

s&wfan

I love them so much.

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Nice reference to Firefly. :) Too bad Nathan Fillion's character carried that highly modified Taurus prop .38SPL revolver made to look like ... whatever the hell it was supposed to look like. ;)

I carried a late production 4566TSW as an issued duty weapon for a while. Not my idea, as I was basically told I should carry it as both an instructor and in my plainclothes assignment (as opposed to the 4006TSW option). Once I had the opportunity to trade it off to someone else who really, really wanted the all-steel .45, however, I quickly checked out a compact aluminum-framed 4013TSW. Lighter and a bit shorter (since I spent a lot of time seated in my unmarked veh, desk, court, etc).

That eventually got traded for an issued 4513TSW, since someone else (close friend) wanted a compact .40 when we were between shipments received. During that time I was offered an opportunity to carry one of the extra Colt 1911's (Colt Gunsite), as a thank you for helping train our swat team transition to 1911's. I politely declined the generous offer, explaining that I'd already managed to get away from carrying a full-size all-steel duty weapon, and as much as I'm a 1911 guy, I wanted to continue carrying a compact aluminum gun. :)

1L26 and agtman like this.
  9. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yes. I was a huge fan on the one-season series, but I never really understood his weapon.

That said, it was a great show and whoever the Fox executive was who canceled it should've been taken outside and immediately de-nutted.

In fact, it was more or less the continuing fan outrage over Fox's cancellation of the show that producer/director Josh Whedlin was able to exploit as leverage to get a deal to make the Serenity movie. Too bad it died after that.

One day I'd really like to find a minty 4513TSW with a few equally minty mags.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

They're around if you keep an eye out, especially with some of the LE turn/trade-in's with the demise of the 3rd gen LE production. Unfortunately, my former agency's stock of lightly used TSW's ended up either being bought by a former issued user (if desired), or destroyed. Sigh.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Group shot, with 5906 and 3913
    20200118_134030.jpg

20200118_135740.jpg

I think I'll take the three out to the range on Monday.

Gary1911A1 and smith10 like this.
  12. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Is this like a "Where's Waldo?" pic? You say group shot and mention three, but I'm still looking...

Berto likes this.
  13. Berto

Berto woo woo

Keep trying. :D

Maccabeus likes this.
  14. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Either you added a pic or I'm losing my mind.

Actually, those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Berto likes this.
  15. Berto

Berto woo woo

I caught it in the proofread.

Maccabeus likes this.
  16. Berto

Berto woo woo

I also have to shout out to Smith 10 for sending me those darlin factory panels, I much appreciate them as they are substantially thinner than the hogue rubber. Big improvement on the 5906.

smith10 likes this.