close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of Trying a Guitar

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, May 30, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I'm looking for something to keep me occupied in the evenings. What do you think about learning to play guitar?

2. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I used to play...never got very good at it though.

It can be just fun or it can become an obsession depending on your skill and desire.

Look for a used one and you won't be out to much if you decide you don't like it.

3. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

It takes a lot of practice to sound even half way decent. There is a Catch 22 right off the bat. A cheap guitar is hard to play and sounds awful. A better guitar is easier to learn on, but if you lose interest you may not be able to sell it for what you paid.
    We have argued about acoustic/electric for learning here before, and I'm with the electric with light guage strings bunch.

4. cranejc

cranejc

fun hobby, but can be hella frustrating starting out.

i agree on the quality of the guitar though - I originally learned on a $100 no-name and struggled. years later i dropped ~$350 on a baseline takamine and went after it full-bore - much easier on a better instrument.

ETA - learn on a full-bodied acoustic with a solid top - it's about the experience, education, and, of course, the sound

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10

Best thing in the world. Starting out get a guitar that plays well and the string are close to the neck if it is a cheap guitar it will kill your fingers and you will loose interest fast. you can go on Youtube type in acoustic lesson and you wil learn fast. Have fun

6. Restless28

Restless28

Any recommendations on brands to look for on the Craigslist?

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My experience may be dated, but Ibanez makes the best guitars from cheap to expensive. It's a good, predictable brand regardless of price and unlike other brands that have bipolar product lines (Fender-Squire, Gibson-Epiphone, Ovation-Applause, etc.) they don't try to hide the starter stuff with a different name. HH

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Epiphone.

You can get a cheesy Epi Les Paul on CL for less than $200. (I think the Special II is the lowest of the line now.) You don't NEED an amp to start playing. Pretty easy with the thin neck and standard light strings.

Or get a cheap Squire Strat for probably the same $. Plays similarly.

I fumble on a nicer Epi LP. Works for me while watching TV. I'm no Eric Claptrap.

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

In accoustics, look at Seagull, Alvarez and Yamaha. If you find one on CL, you can do pretty well and they offer the most for the $$$.
    In electrics, I still think the MIM Fender Standard Telecaster and Strats are hard to beat; they literally play and sound as good as the Am Std....I've had both.
    If you need humbuckers, Schecter or Epiphone do really nice for the money.

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Don't get too hung up on price. My favorite guitar is a Mexican Stratocaster. I think the necks on the Mexicans are far, far superiour to even my two early 70s American (pre CBS) ones. HH

11. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Find a good teacher.
    Maybe they will have a guitar you can rent.

12. BFN

BFN

I have owned a guitar for years, but did not have the patience or ability to learn on my own. So my daughter wanted to learn to play the drums, since there was a guitar instructor at the same time I decided to take once a week lessons, I am progressing well after a couple of months. Lots of fun, and would recommend learning by a pro if you can.

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

I agree. I had an Am Strat Ultra with a maple neck and the Lace Sensors/LSR nut, basically like the Clapton model without the pinned bridge. It was a nice axe and sounded great...
    ...but, my present day Mex std Strat has a better neck/pocket fit, better pickguard fit and I like the 50's style pups and rosewood fretboard better. It sounds better ,too.
    They are the real deal in single coil guitars.

14. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

The right teacher will make the learning experience as productive as your commitment and natural aptitude will allow it to be. My mistake was to let my teacher convince me to pursue playing lead guitar instead of concentrating on developing an accomplished repertoire of chords. I finally got frustrated and quit.

If you're decent at playing chords, you can entertain yourself, play with a group, back up your friends at a party, play at church. Its easier to learn this style of play. It's the best way to begin.

Get a guitar that will stay in tune and won't destroy your fingers. A reputable music store will help you choose a good one you can afford and a teacher will provide valuable guidance.

15. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

For sure! playing guitar is good for you :) don't be afraid to go into a guitar center store or something similar and just try a few out. get a feel for what you like, and remember that the big name brands usually have licensed knockoffs for much cheaper. or go used, just make sure to get a solid one!

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This. Mine is a Mexican "Roadhouse" (don't even think they make it anymore) with three Texas Specials and a maple neck... a neck so good that the American ones of any vintage are an absolute disappointment. To the OP: I would consider a nylon-stringed classical Spanish guitar first. Dirt cheap and really easy to learn on due to the wide string spacing, flat fingerboard, coarse frets and strings that are easy on the fingers until you build calouses. HH

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

A Greg Bennette Samick acoustic is a decent starter guitar. You can get one for around $300. I have this exact guitar and it plays well and sounds great. Solid Cedar top with good components (Grover hardware). Put on a set of light strings to save your fingers.

[​IMG]

http://www.leihinstrumente.com/Guit...Greg-Bennett-(Samick)-D7-Beaumont.html?cy=USD

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  18. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I've played for I guess 35 years now.
    I strongly suggest not learning on an electric.
    An acoustic will be harder on your fingers at first, but you will begin to hear what a guitar is supposed to sound like.
    Learning on electric leads to so much fail because until you get some basic skills, it will sound tinny, thin and most importantly not like an electric you hear played by musicians. You'll have this idea how an electric is supposed to sound and be sorely disappointed.
    For brands- they're all over the map. We are in a golden age of less expensive quality-made guitars. When I started, an inexpensive guitar was total crap. There are now companies such as Takamine, Yamaha, Seagull and my favorite, The Loar, who makes great guitars at low prices. They are pac-rim made using quality woods and highly skilled craftsmen. Even their low end are better than you'd think.
    Look for something with a solid spruce top and rosewood, maple or mahogany back and sides.
    Yes, if you quit and go to sell your instrument, you will likely lose money. That is true of anything you buy isn't it?
    My choice for a good starter would be one of The Loar's 200 series guitars. They're small bodied, good sounding guitars made from solid woods.
    This guitar by The Loar is inexpensive, modeled after the pre-war small bodied Martins and Gibsons. It's a solid top with Maple back and sides, a rosewood fretboard and some nice appointments for a sub $400 guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Loar-LO...e-/330707369168?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cffb1fcd0

19. heliguy

heliguy

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

So you are saying you have The Loar Axe??? :rofl:

I love the design of Ovation, but it slides around too much.

My daughter has an Ibanez elec/acoustic that is nice. Thin acoustic body. Other daughter has a Yamaha acoustic - seems fat in comparison.

For about $50, you could get a Ukulele. Eldest daughter just got one for her B-day. Just for a goof. She also wants a banjo. (Freakin Mumford!) I told her to master the guitar, but at 15, she's actually learning pretty quick. Faster than I can learn now and faster than I probably would have learned at 15.