Thinking of switching to LE A few questions

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by toofast, Feb 4, 2010.

1. toofast

toofast

Hello.

Im 32 and have been told by others that this is not too old to start...what are your thoughts?

The listed starting salary is between 50K and 62K in my area (Entry Level). Im assuming this is for a 2080 hr per year schedule. In your experience how many hours per year of overtime do you think you could rely upon. Im trying to find out if I can still afford my mortgage w/ the pay cut.

As far as experience I have a BS in Engineering (10 yrs experience), am a NRA Pistol Instructor, and currently Moonlight for an armed security company (Blue Card).

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would not and have never depended on overtime/details for necessary basic expenses. That having been said in any given year I have earned from about a low of 10% above my base salary to a high of over 100% above my base salary (major hurricane that year.)

3. trifecta

trifecta

Good advice right there. You get in over your head financially and then you break your arm or something. Still may get you salary but the off duty work goes away.

4. toofast

toofast

Seems to make sense... but if I were lucky enough to get hired at the high end the 10% would cover my bills...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. toofast

toofast

Seems to make sense... but if I were lucky enough to get hired at the high end the 10% would cover my bills...

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Never depend on the OT to be constant or consistent. Also depends on what unit you're in (patrol, investigative, etc...). And really, it's blood money because it definitely will take quality time away from you and your your family (assuming that's an issue for you).

7. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Yes, and as a rookie you may be subject to less overtime.

That's the way it is here though it may be different where you get hired.

8. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

as a fellow applicant I can say this, don't quit your day job. Even quick hiring processes are taking 6 months to a year, and that's if you lucky enough to get the job the first go around.

Most are having to try multiple agencies, multiple times to get hired, and in my case, that's with a spotless record and a college degree.

9. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Have you considered the Feds?

10. JBaird22

JBaird22

my OT (which they took away this year by changing our court OT to court comp time) last year pushed me over the top of 30K a year. Awesome, I know. So as was said, never bank on OT.

I am having a bear of a time getting hired and I have 7 years on, college and lots of commendations and ancillary duties. So yeah, good luck.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

People who live and depend on OT always get a rude awakening when OT is limited or cut altogether except for emergencies. Never fails.

Live within your means and think of OT as gravy. Besides, after a certain amount of OT, it will get to the point that it's not really worth doing OT anymore. I got to the point once where I made less doing OT than normal wage thanks to the higher tax bracket.

Never liked OT anyway. I turn it down as much as I can.

12. mrdann

mrdann

I started at 33. Reference the OT...When I started, you could literally work every day if you wanted, between details and Road OT. We had a few takeovers, a bunch of budget cuts, and a few policy changes that have reduced my details to an average of less than 18 hours a month, and I got to work Road OT ONCE in three years.

For the love God and all that's holy, PLEASE ONLY figure your base salary when doing your budget.

Good luck!

13. Morris

Morris CLM

I'll echo ski. You have a degree in engineering with 10 years experience. Even though I throw up in my mouth saying it, give a look at Uncle Sugar. You may have the desirable skills an agency will want, especially with forensics.

14. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Hey, that was gonna be my nickname if I was ever an SRO! :embarassed:

15. kgain673

kgain673

My wife just can't understand this concept, too much overtime is not that good, 4-5 hours of overtime is good, but when you get into massive amounts of overtime the government rapes you.

16. Morris

Morris CLM

I could see you as an SRO . . . :rofl:

17. dano1427

dano1427

If your living expenses are greater than the Agencies starting salary, you probably will not get hired.