Thinking of selling off all but the 9 mm

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Glockresistor, Oct 24, 2020.

1. jeff22

jeff22

I’ve been down this road with no regrets. I traded or sold everything that didn’t get shot on a regular basis and now what is left gets used a lot. A few times I traded a couple guns for one really nice one. I don’t ever miss the ones I no longer have.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

I would keep at least one pistol in a different caliber. For me it would be one .40 S&W and keep a small amount of ammo and supplies for that one pistol. Sell off the others, pick up another 43X and maybe a PCC in 9mm for fun.

NoStress and cbetts1 like this.

3. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

I got rid of everything in my pistol collection except my 9mm Glocks, with the exception of my G42 and a .22 plinker (Was a Ruger, upgraded to a G44) years ago.

Then I lost the rest of it in a canoe accident. C'est la vie.

nitesit(+ an e) likes this.
  4. Sig Fever

Sig Fever 98.SiG and Rising!

Keep a .40 for when ammo times are tough.

-JCN-, Johnix and cbetts1 like this.
  5. slick slidestop

slick slidestop

I did what you are contemplating several years ago. I got tired of trying to keep a stockpile of ammo for every caliber I owned......Well that lasted all of about 2-3 years. I ended up not only replacing most of those calibers, but even added a 10MM and a 6.5 CM to the mix.

cbetts1 likes this.
  6. jr24

jr24

I did somewhat the same a while back, still kept some .357 for hunting and woods use and .45 because I cannot live without at least one 1911 in God's Caliber (though I shoot my 9mm 1911 more).

But mostly I've just focused on 9mm, keeps reloading components tracking and sourcing a bit easier, don't have to worry about swapping dies and messing with my powder measure nearly so often, etc.

Though I do admit getting "new caliber-itis" for rifles every year or two. This year was to be 6.5 Grendel but all this nonsense has made proper experimentation with powders, projectiles and whatnot onerous. Found a load that works well enough and I'll just have to wait till next year to really get the most out of that rifle.

7. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

This is definitely the time to do it. I wouldn’t wait.

8. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I understand this. More crap you own is just more headaches. Get rid of anything you don’t really want. Simplify your life wherever possible.

Mr. Tettnanger, 45caldan and jr24 like this.
  9. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Nothing in any of my safes is for sale or trade.

10. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

And there it is.

;)

11. jr24

jr24

Most of the stuff in mine is. Even my beloved 1911s could go for the right price to fund a semi or full custom upgrade. I only have a few sentimental options and the few necessaries (couple Glocks, EDC X9, my wife's 228 and Vaquero) but the rest is just taking up space mostly, and I'm too lazy to put the work in to get the right value for them.

1L26, -JCN- and TheDreadnought like this.
  12. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

So your wanting to sell off all the available calibers for one that’s almost non existent....now is probably not the time lol

13. oogy_pls

oogy_pls

I try to simplify and keep calibers to a minimum. Everything is 5.56, 9mm, or 308 and takes either Glock mags, STANAG mags, or FAL mags. Having a spread of tons of calibers and magazines doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

TheDreadnought likes this.
  14. e150gt

e150gt

I wouldn't sell. I mean I sold off my 5.56 ammo but that was to fund my rifle. If I hadn't had to I wouldnt of.

15. bac1023

bac1023

I like a variety of calibers, though I do shoot 9mm the most. At least I did when I could find ammo

-JCN- likes this.
  16. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

I did that once. the other calibers crept back in...

now wanting to get rid of all but 2 or 3 handguns, I cannot. I have ammo for them all and have no idea what will be available in the future.
    I carry and shoot 9mm mostly.

Reloading components are scarce, but I have some for .45 and .38/.357.

will be unloading the reloading gear, too.
    Have a 10 year plan to get rid of almost everything we own, and rent in a retirement village in our declining years......

17. PeterG

PeterG

I’m all for simplicity because I’m a minimalist at heart, just not sure I’d pick 9mm as my only caliber.

So for now I’ve split it down the middle with two calibers and two guns for each caliber.

That’s the safest way I can see to ride out the turbulence ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Something I have NEVER done: Consolidated money from one credit card to pay off another. That does not end well.

Something I HAVE done: Consolidated calibers. Did not end well. I got a whole bunch of one caliber and others are slowly trickling back in.

-JCN- and Will Beararms like this.
  19. skyfall

skyfall

I went to one caliber in pistols last year and do not regret doing so. I only have two G45's and two G43X's (total of four, all 9m/m) and my life is simpler. I have ammo, mags. and holsters. I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 Mag. for anything "big". I miss my 22LR SP101 and may buy another. It is fun to read about all the firearms, but I just do not need them. I can always shoot a friends at the range if I want something different. Saves me alot of money.

20. 3007

3007 Previously Will Beararms

Sell any working handgun or any good ammo if you don’t need the money in these times? Are you kidding me? If Trump is re-elected, it will be bad until next Summer. If Biden squeaks in, it will be a disaster for the next two decades barring the Rapture.