GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of selling of my 45, 40 .37 sig and 3.80 and just go with the 9 mm. I reload so it would just make life allot easier and I rarely shoot the other calibers, when I do it's just a couple of magazines and it's right back to the 43x I just love that pistol. As far as that goes I don't shoot my 19 or G45 much either. I know it's good to diversify but I think I have more dust collectors then shooters. probably a prime time to move them as well. I don't need the money so thats not a factor.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
720 Posts
I can dig it. I've done that a number of times. Feels good to get rid of the unused stuff.

The funny thing is that sometimes I end up reacquiring a model months or maybe a few years later because I later "remember" why I was intrigued by it in the first place. That doesn't happen very often, though.

I'm sure there will be emotional posts in this thread exhorting you to hold onto everything. "NEVER SELL A GUN!!!" "I've never sold a gun!" Nonsense. That's hoarder mentality, in my opinion. Own what you want to own. Don't let the things you own own you.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I would keep the g19 and g45, sell the other calibers and put the proceeds toward another G43x and mags and reloading supplies. I consolidated to 9 moons ago, back when everyone was on the 40 wagon, and did something similar. Btw I love the 43x too. I have several and is the only handgun I’ve shot in months! It just fits me so well.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would keep the g19 and g45, sell the other calibers and put the proceeds toward another G43x and mags and reloading supplies. I consolidated to 9 moons ago, back when everyone was on the 40 wagon, and did something similar. Btw I love the 43x too. I have several and is the only handgun I’ve shot in months! It just fits me so well.
I do have a second 43x and was considering the 48 to maybe take the 19 or 45 place with shield mags.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,755 Posts
I'm thinking of selling of my 45, 40 .37 sig and 3.80 and just go with the 9 mm. I reload so it would just make life allot easier and I rarely shoot the other calibers, when I do it's just a couple of magazines and it's right back to the 43x I just love that pistol. As far as that goes I don't shoot my 19 or G45 much either. I know it's good to diversify but I think I have more dust collectors then shooters. probably a prime time to move them as well. I don't need the money so thats not a factor.
I feel somewhat the opposite --- but not with the diversity of calibers you have.

I have no need nor desire to own anything in 9mm ... as I have special needs and desires in drop-power I can get for my circumstances.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I've found that keeping an inventory of what I have and what I want helps a lot. Seeing it all on a piece of paper helps a person think objectively.

Keep in mind that a firearm is worthless without the accessories; holsters, slings, ammo, etc. Keeping this in mind puts the brakes on my purchases.

V.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It is probably a good idea to simplify things, to use your carry weapon exclusively and own little else. Saves money and training is efficient.
But rather boring, I'd say.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Depends how much in other calibers you have loaded. I have 3,500 45,acp, 800 380acp, 1,500 40, and around 5,000 10mm already loaded. I can't sell reloads so what would I do with them? Sometimes I think of selling my AR because I rarely shoot it but what to do with 7,,000 .223 reloads?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Then you get into the logistics of listing what you have to sell. I have at least twelve different pistol powders. Plus God knows how many projectiles and primers. I would have to make a complete list and hope I can sell it all as a package deal, very unlikely, then box it all up and help move it!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I thought about that once.

Reactions: byf43

·
NRA Life Member
4,778 Posts
I would say it depends on your age....if you are older and retiring soon, it might make sense to get 1-2 calibers.

But with all the ammo issues going on right now, I like diversification.

When I get older and my physical skills decline, I will probably stick with 1-2 calibers myself.

·
NRA Life Member
5,541 Posts
If you don’t need the money, then what exactly are we talking about here? You’re bothered by having guns you don’t shoot often?
point taken, yes I guess I am. :)
Don’t sell!
Keep!
A week after they are gone, you will kick yourself in the a$$
Believe me!
Don’t sell.

Clean, lube, store in box/safe.
don’t sell any, you will regret it.
Not sure if you posted merely to make an announcement, or actually seeking advice, but if it’s advice you want, don’t sell!

Guns, especially now, are money in the bank. Unless you really need the money, and right now, they are a big asset to have.

And from a gun owners perspective like right now with ammo so scarce, nice to have multiple options in case you happen to find a stash of .40 or .45 for sale.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Such a dilemma, and a conundrum, even. LOL.

Do whatever you feel you need to do, as you're the only one that it matters to.

I've about sold off all my Glock pistols (yay!!), my smaller blowback handguns that are painful for me to shoot, and others that I honestly just have no purpose for.

Sure it's great to own firearms and to boldly proclaim that you have this and that, but to own firearms just to own them and never sell any of them is just BS. Despite popular beliefs, the guy who dies with the most toys doesn't win a ****ing thing; "He's Dead, Jim."

I've used the funds I've recouped thusfar towards a benchtop mill & tooling, two awesome TIG and MIG welding machines, a slip roll, metal bender, a 48" sheetmetal brake, two good solid hardwood butcherblock top workbenches, a Honda gas powered 2500 psi pressure washer, a 24' Werner fiberglass extension ladder, and all kinds of "other stuff" that has much more purpose and utility - which I can actually be productive with. What does owning safes full of firearms provide?

It took me a while to realize this but buying every firearm I could has taken alot of my funds and has been nothing but a major distraction from the things in my life that are of actual importance. So I'm done with it, with the only firearms I intend on purchasing from this point on being .22 suppressor hosts. Oh poor poor pitiful me :( LOL!!

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,695 Posts
I would say it depends on your age....if you are older and retiring soon, it might make sense to get 1-2 calibers.

But with all the ammo issues going on right now, I like diversification.

When I get older and my physical skills decline, I will probably stick with 1-2 calibers myself.
That is where I am...getting older...worry about my wife having to deal with my guns...have been considering selling my beloved 686 now for a month or so...running low on ammo for it, don't shoot it hardly at all...someone younger would get a great woods gun for sure and could use it better than me....

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I've found that keeping an inventory of what I have and what I want helps a lot. Seeing it all on a piece of paper helps a person think objectively.

Keep in mind that a firearm is worthless without the accessories; holsters, slings, ammo, etc. Keeping this in mind puts the brakes on my purchases.

V.
aint this the truth. yesterday I watched a Hickok45 video on a SW MP 2.0 ported .45auto. now that looks like a handly little bugger and not as much a brick as a G30 (i have a 29, they bricks...). I got to thinking, hmm $600 for gun, OK. well if I like it enough I want to carry it ($100). crap new caliber to reload for, need dies ($100), have no brass ($50), def. need bullets to load($100). some SD ammo ($50) yeah that $600 gun turned into $1,000 just like that....

I wouldn't mind crunching my stuff myself. Loading 9, 40, 10 and 38. and technically .223. I want to get into .357 mag but I would realistically shoot 100 rds a year. I'd like to cut out one of the 9/40/10. first world problems.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts