Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gen 4 19 and I have fired over 500 rounds through it. It is comfy and sure in my hand. I see people remove the grooves all the time and i did have a gen 5 for a bit. The gen 5 was nice but I did not like the cutout after a while. I do not remember thinking wow, the grip is so much better without grooves.

Now I look at my grip and over analyze it and think if I should invest money into finger groove removal. I wonder as far as the gen 4 is concerned if I am really missing something? I know this is such a personal taste and everyone will be different, and also that I would be able to work with the modded or factory setup.

But has anyone been on the fence about this whenever the factory grip is really just fine to them? Honestly if the internet didn't exist I would never know about the possibility of removing the grooves, lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think you mean that you want to remove the "bumps" between the grooves. Doing so will kill the resale value of the gun.
An alternative is to get one of those pachmyr sleeves. It'll help fill i the grooves.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
What in Heaven's name would a person do if it weren't so easy to just whack off the finger protrusions of a Glock Gen4 Gwhatever with a Dremel or sandpaper? Answer: you either wouldn't have bought it to begin with, or you'd sell it and actually exert some time and effort investigating what actually suits you.

That last part is quite a concept, ain't it?!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Seems like the factory grip with humps doesn't bother you. I'd leave well enough alone then. That from a guy who modified both of my glock grips. But they didn't work for me. And it is so easy to adjust them to a person's individual preference that to me it seems a weak reason to buy a different brand, if a Glock is what one wants. So I don't recommend searching for reasons to modify your pistol. If you find some feature does bother you then ask again with specifics of what that is, and I think the members here can offer some ideas of how to remedy the matter. Some will insult your mothers pedigre for daring to consider modifying YOUR Glock, but you shouldn't be looking for validation and approval from any of us. If you are looking for information, however, you can probably find it here if you can sift through the rubbish and insults.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I like the bumps after an undercut, hate them without an undercut. Just depends on whether they fit your hand or not. I also stippled my front and back straps. Feels great. Wrapping the stippling around the frontstrap corrners made a big difference for the better in the feel of the grip.

Silver Cylinder Steel
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Light
Gun Firearm Trigger White Gun accessory

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I have a Gen 4 19 and I have fired over 500 rounds through it. It is comfy and sure in my hand ...
Cowboy up and you are good to go.

Messing with Glock Perfection is silly, JMHO. You like Glock 19 so pick Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 or Gen 5. I EDC a Glock 19 Gen 3 :cowboy:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
If the 19 Gen4 is comfy and sure in your hand, then by all means, screw it up by removing the finger "dams". Or clean up your 19 Gen4 and trade it on a 19 Gen5. Then you would have no finger "dams" to worry about. Simple, yes?

Reactions: jim1117

·
20,673 Posts
I think you mean that you want to remove the "bumps" between the grooves. Doing so will kill the resale value of the gun.
An alternative is to get one of those pachmyr sleeves. It'll help fill i the grooves.
Yes. Remove only the "Bumps" between the grooves and leave the checkering between the bumps. That will improve the grip considerably but it won't be as noticeable and will not look as "Modified".

I recommend the judicious use of a narrow file and different grits of sandpaper wrapped around a narrow stick rather than a Dremel tool. Or take it to a gunsmith if you aren't good with hand tools. It's always good to get to know your local Gunsmith, especially one who knows Glocks.

As far as losing resale value, used Glocks sell for around $450 and the most you could stand to lose would be $100 bucks. If $100 dollars is all that stands between you and utter financial ruin, then by all means don't do it.

Glocks are great guns for the money but they don't sell for all that much new, and any used gun no matter what the condition sells for less.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Leave the pistol alone. I can't figure out this raging obsession so many gun owners have with endlessly accesorizing and altering their stuff.
Obviously, everyone is free to do whatever they want, but this craze is getting really stupid.
I was just looking at an ad on my favorite statewide classifed site, and some genius had
goobered-up a G17 with who-knows-what, and is asking a ridiculous $1100 bucks for it.
He hasn't yet gotten around to adding "price drop" to his ad yet, but rest assured, it's coming !!
But go ahead, grind off the bumps if you want to (and then have it stippled,undercut,cerakoted and ported), but keep in mind, you're going to drastically reduce it's trade/resale appeal with all that nonsense.
If you don't like it as is, then just sell it, and buy a gen2 or gen 5.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Removing the bumps will indeed reduce the resale price of your pistol. I too have a nice G19.4 which I shoot fairly well but I'm sure I'd feel better about it without the finger bumps. I have a G19.5 which helps make this comparison. I'm better off without the bumps.

I'm keeping the G19.4 as is for now and we'll see down the line what Glock puts out. I think I'd rather sell it and buy something that fits me better than hack it up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I appreciate the responses. If it were a frame like a sig 320 then by all means I would mess with it for fun. But since it’s the firearm.... I have seen hack jobs and don’t trust myself to do it, I shall leave it alone most likely.

I know nobody can answer my question for me, so I guess it was kinda dumb to ask in the first place.

A better question might have been if anyone on the fence had done that mod and their thoughts afterwards

I have fallen pray to looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. This is a prime example. Lol

I will be leaving it alone as, well, wtf would I change it for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I did have a gen 5 for a bit.
The gen 5 was nice but I did not like the cutout after a while.
I do not remember thinking wow, the grip is so much better without grooves.
GEN 5 cut out fix, Pearce Model PG-FML mag base plates.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have fallen pray to looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. This is a prime example. Lol

I will be leaving it alone as, well, wtf would I change it for
Smartest thing you said. I have the same one and left it alone since the grooves have never bothered me. If they did, I would have traded the Gen4 for the Gen5, but I didn't.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
From the sad mods I've seen in pawn shops over the last couple of years, I would say, "Plenty of them!"
LOL!!! I hear ya!!! I thought long and hard, watched vids, and practiced on an old holster before I did mine. I was prepared to buy another frame if it didn't work out. It worked out for me. Looks "ok" and feels great. It made a significant improvement in grip. Glock should wrap the texture around the front corners of the grip. It's needed there more than the side panels.

·
Director of civil unrest
11,335 Posts
Leave the pistol alone. I can't figure out this raging obsession so many gun owners have with endlessly accesorizing and altering their stuff.
Obviously, everyone is free to do whatever they want, but this craze is getting really stupid.
I was just looking at an ad on my favorite statewide classifed site, and some genius had
goobered-up a G17 with who-knows-what, and is asking a ridiculous $1100 bucks for it.
He hasn't yet gotten around to adding "price drop" to his ad yet, but rest assured, it's coming !!
But go ahead, grind off the bumps if you want to (and then have it stippled,undercut,cerakoted and ported), but keep in mind, you're going to drastically reduce it's trade/resale appeal with all that nonsense.
If you don't like it as is, then just sell it, and buy a gen2 or gen 5.
So much this!

I see way too many gun owners treating their GLOCK(S) like they are some sort of rare and fancy firearm. They put every known doo-dad and whatchamacallit on 'em and then think they're worth what they've put into them. The problem is; they are not.

When you mod. a GLOCK to that level it is YOUR gun, not someone else's'. You've made it YOURS with all the mods. and if you're going to give resale ANY thought at all after doing that, it's way too late. You'll sell a mostly stock GLOCK way faster than a modded. one.

Case in point; There's a real nice Poly80(940C) framed Zev build at my LGS that has all the bells and whistles. It has the threaded barrel, MOS, tall sights for suppressor, some fancy red anodized flat trigger and all the other goodies. Price? $2400.00. Just in parts, that's probably a bargain. It's been sitting there for over a year.

Meanwhile, GLOCKS of all kinds are just flying off the shelves. They have the largest stock of GLOCKS I've seen in my state. Best prices too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.