Thinking of going into LE, too late for me?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Kahrguy330, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Kahrguy330

Kahrguy330 I don't believe

Ok here it goes, Im 27 years old. No military background. I do have an associates degree in computer science. Pretty clean record, except for 3 speeding tickets years ago. I have a wife and a 1 year old daughter. I live in NE Ohio and work in a titanium mill. Its a good job. Good pay, good benefits, but the company I work for is building another mill down south with newer, better equipment and it wont be a union shop so that means cheaper labor. And like all the other good production jobs in this area, this might be going too. My union has a contract until 2013 but aftet that who knows.

Anyways, it seems that the writing is on the wall and I'm thinking about going into LE. I've always wanted to and I feel no time is better than the present to do so.

So my question to any LEO's reading this is, do I have a chance? Would firearms courses that I have taken(For example, TDI, Frontsight...) as a civilian give me an edge over other applicants? Any advice other than go for a ride along, fill out applications, go to the police academy?

Thanks in advance.

2. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

27 is NOT too late. Having some sort of background beyond being 21 and having no felony convictions can only help.

Standard advice from me. Go for several ride alongs. Fill out MANY applications. See if anyone will put you through an academy. Does your wife work? Are you willing to move where you find work, or are you definitely staying in NE Ohio?

Good luck! With some determination, you can and will find a job in LE.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Based on your posted info., you sound like a prime candidate. The only thing I can add is to get in great shape, keep your nose clean, and re-enroll in school for the stated goal of getting your undergrad degree [one class a semester is all it takes - more if you want to impress them].

4. ranger1968

ranger1968

You sound like a good, mature candidate- solid work history, married with children, college degree.....

Re-enroll and start working toward your Bachelors' degree. As someone who occasionally gets stuck sitting on an applicant review board, I can tell you that while shooting courses impress no one, someone who is working on a degree in Public Administration gets the suits all warm and fuzzy about that applicant, who they see as a future peer....

So stay in shape, drive safely, and go back to school!

5. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

+1 to the above. You have a stable family life, are obviously dedicated enough to keep a good job, and a few years that (hopefully!) add to your maturity level. I agree with ride-alongs, taking more classes, and maybe some sort of volunteering or something. Anything to add that you're willing to add to your education and overall background.

6. JBaird22

JBaird22

I wish I would have had the patience to start when I was 27. Personally, I think you are the right age to get in. Still able to run fast-ish, old enough to know when you shouldn't be running.

Add to that your life experience and stability that others have noted and I think you are about as ideal as you could get. From what I understand the LE job market in OH is kinda tough but I think if you show some interest now, start doing something toward furthering your education, maybe volunteer and show that you really are interested in contributing to the community and I think you would be set.

Good luck. Do not, and this is huge, do not get discouraged if you don't get that first or second job. Sometimes these things take times. And just to further show that you are never too old, there was a guy I knew that started at 50. He has over 15 years on now and still works the road. Also keep in mind, this job will never be as important as your family.

7. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

I'm 31, and I start the academy on Wednesday. You are no where near to old.

8. 2006HD

2006HD

You can do it. Make sure you're in good shape and be honest.

I'm starting the academy feb 1st.

by the way. NE Ohio? My family is from Scio. I was born down here in Florida

9. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

Demand to be assigned a patrol rifle in your interview otherwise turn the job down because that's just something you need.

10. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

This is funny, I too am 27yo, married no kids yet, good job/pay/benis, union contract exp. In 2013 too lol, and I've only had a speeding ticket about 9 years ago. I've been thinking real hard about about le as well. My only concern is last Halloween I unknowingly ate a "special" batch of spaghetti. Needless to say I was pretty pissed about it, but honestly it wasn't the first time I got high as I used to mess around with pot back in highschool.

11. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

I doubt you will have a problem.

I'm one of the only cops I know who has NEVER gotten high.

Nerd.

12. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

Haha, you're not missing out on anything. Really. I gave it up when I realized all the good paying jobs require drug testing, and how stupid I felt on it.

13. area727

area727 G23

I've offen wondered the same thing, am I too old to start now. I just turned 30, in good shape, college (bachelors) degree, married, 2 kids. I've always had an interest in LE. Never been in any trouble. Actually, (some might not believe me, and have nothing to gain about lying about this) I have never touched an illegal drug in my life. Ok well, had a couple beers at college when I was 20.

I'm sure I'd make a good candidate, just wondered about being to old to start. If my current job ever goes south, I will stongly consider it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  14. cmysprks

cmysprks

27 is not too old to start. I am currently in the academy and there are guys at the age of 41 going through it. I'm 27 years old too and doing well you just need to be in good shape p.t. will be hard if your not we're running anywhere from 3.5 to 7miles a day. Good luck on your career path.

15. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Too old? You're still a pup. Get to it man and good luck.

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

No way 27 is too old! I have a friend who started his LE career at 41. Hes damn good at what he does too.

17. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I am 34 and in the Academy and doing damned well and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

18. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

All great advise above. I just hit my 8 year aniversary on the 2nd. I'm 36 now and started when I was 28. It helps alot having some life experience.

Corey

19. fla2760

fla2760

Go for it. Twenty seven is young. Get in shape if you are not and let us know how you make out.

20. op2k

op2k

+1 to all of these. I started working in a non-sworn capacity when I was 28, and started working as a sworn LEO at 31. I think that those who start a little older do very well due to their life experience (no offense to the 18-20 year old kids that have been getting hired on in my area lately).