Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member here on this forum and I thought I'd start things off with sharing my thoughts about getting a 9mm G17 as my first handgun.

I guess what I like about the Glock is its simplicity, it's reputation for dependability, its apparent ease of use, it's relative low cost and its popularity. I like the idea of a constant trigger pull, none of this Single Action/Double action variability that seems to be there with most other guns. And I figure if you're going to learn a gun, why not learn the gun that's most prevalent out there in the world? I like the idea of the Glock being a radical re-thinking of how to make a semi-automatic with such a small part count. I hear some people talking about the Glock being ugly, but I don't see it that way. Weirdly-balanced maybe, with all the weight on the top. But I think that square, unadorned slide looks great. And as for the shape of the grip -- well it works for me. I even like the new RTF2 finish with what amounts to "built-in skateboard tape".

Maybe it's just that I haven't been around enough and tried enough guns to appreciate the advantages of an all-metal gun in terms of reduced felt recoil. And maybe guns like the CZ or the Sig are more intrinsically accurate.

One of the more interesting criticisms of the Glock that I've run across is that the chamber is less than "fully supported" and that consequently if you reload, you can't get as many reuses out of your brass because the slightly oversize Glock chamber allows the case to expand. On the plus side, this .005 of extra space in the chamber is also credited as going some way towards the Glock's reliability since cartridges won't jam so easily in a slightly oversize chamber.

Now I know Glock doesn't recommend using reloads anyway, but realistically, how many people shooting sports like IPSC are going to be able to afford to keep themselves in factory ammo when running through 3-500 rounds at a match, even if it is in 9mm.

Now I know that most here are Glock fans, and I'm sure some of you reload, so I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts on the question of whether you get fewer reload cycles out of ammo shot through a Glock versus some other 9mm.

I know that the "not fully supported chamber" problem was actually more of concern with the .40 cal guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I should add, in case anyone is wondering why I wouldn't go with the 19 instead of the 17 as a first gun, I live in Canada, and up here the 19 is in the prohibited class. Now I know Wolf makes a 107 mm barrel for the 19 just for us Canadians. And while I do appreciate that, the trouble is that would make it a non-stock gun for IPSC classification purposes.

G

·
You can't go wrong with the Glock 17 as a choice for your first pistol. The 9mm ammo is less expensive than others and it's cheaper to reload for too. I've reloaded thousands of rounds for my 9mm Glocks with no more problems than other brands of guns. I mostly think the "un-supported chamber" just gives the Glock haters something to spout off about................B.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've shot the Beretta 92, SIG 226, S&W 3914, 5900/6900 series, Browning HP and the Glock 17/19/26. The Beretta, 226, and S&W's were all too large for my hands, and the went. The Browning fits and feels great and it's a classic. The Glocks also fit and feel great. The HP and the Glocks stayed. All were accurate, but the G17 still handles and shoots the best. You won't go wrong with the G17 as a first gun. As for reloads, you should be fine as long as you are careful and don't load to +P velocities and pressures. (FMJ's or JHP's Only)

·
DiRollin
119 Posts
I just got a G17 and love it... I know its your first gun but get 19 if you ever plan to conceal carry, otherwise it will end up being more of a "range gun". Longer barrel usually means more accurate... Your just going to have to weigh the pros and cons... =)

·
1-technique
102 Posts
are you carrying and/or using it for home defense?

if so, i'd get a snub concealed/bobbed hammer revolver first. a revolver will NEVER fail to fire or jam. if it does, just pull for the next round.

of course the limitation is capacity, and you have to deal with DAO if you get a concealed/bobbed hammer.

but, in close home/personal defense range, 5-6 rounds of .357 or .38 special in the right round will do the trick.

many glock pistols are awesome choices for semi-auto pistols, but honestly, it IS susceptible to issues related to poor technique and as an inexperienced shooter in a tense, dark defense situation, the last thing you need is worrying out if the thing will fail to eject/jam.

i have a ruger sp101 with crimson trace grip as my family's go to HD gun

i also have a brand new glock 21 with a tlr-2...but trust me, i'll be grabbing for the revolver first...if i have a second, the glock as well ; )

·
Registered
786 Posts
I LOVE my 17.

It was my first gun as well.

It is a great shooter

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just got a G17 and love it... I know its your first gun but get 19 if you ever plan to conceal carry, otherwise it will end up being more of a "range gun". Longer barrel usually means more accurate... Your just going to have to weigh the pros and cons... =)

I carry my G-17 concealed almost every day

·
Glock Gimp
13,852 Posts
I love my 17, it's a sweet shooter. Go for it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You 9MM wusses!
Venture into the .40 cal and feel the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoooo Hoooooooooo! Glock's main man Dave Sergervnie will attest,
Sorry if I spelled his last name wrong,
Sincerely
Happy Seal
either way, welcome to Glock!:wavey:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Go with a 17 or 34 they are top shelf. By the way all the air you hear about unsupported chambers in a 9mm Glock is just that Hot Air. It has no effect on reloading unless you are really shooting hot loads.

Nothing really comes close as far as shootability, price, reliability, accuracy, and you will go broke trying to wear it out by shooting it. The 34 has probably won as many matches per it's age as anything out there, it pretty much rules in IDPA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts