Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never purchased a gun through a private transfer and was wondering what the proper etiquette was for this. I know I need to show the seller my DL and possibly my CPL (CCW in WA) but any incite from anybody would be appreciated. Also would coming on foot be a problem generally. Thanks

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
A bill of sale with 2 copies, one for you, one for them. You don't need anything official, clearly handwritten would be fine, as long as both copies say the same thing, identify the firearm with serial # and any accessories, the amount being paid, and a place for both signatures, along with a space for full printed names, on each copy. Maybe go a little further and put DL #s next to the printed names, and list that the sale is "as is" or "final".

Of course this isn't the most official thing that a lawyer would recommend, and I don't know what your particular state laws are, but this is good enough in Colorado.

Edit: Date of sale should be on there too, again, in most states you don't have to do this, but legally it is best for both of you. The seller could report the gun stolen, then without a bill of sale you really have no way to prove you legally purchased it. Or it's possible if the gov should confiscate it for evidence, they may find it was stolen at one point or even used in a crime, and in that case you need to be able to prove with paperwork that you legally bought it from someone else. And the same, if you sell it and the next owner runs a check on the serial number to be safe, it could be found to have been stolen or used in a crime, and you need to not be the only person without paperwork on it in it's list of owners.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with the above. Two copies with both parties printed names and signatures, date, product info, price and serial number. Walking should not be a problem. Show up riding a horse:cool: Just remember, the seller may be as nervous as you, if not more. If you're legit, then you certainly want your seller to be, so a bill of sale is in order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts