close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of Enlisting.

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by CKMustangCobra, Feb 15, 2007.

1. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra

Hello. Haven't been a member of this site for too long, but I noticed this forum and I figured I would try to ask a few questions.

I am 24 years old, come from a military family, I recently graduated a Marine Mechanic technical school in Orlando. My passion is to work on turbine powered boats. After some research I realized there is no direct link to this experience/education other than the military.

I was looking at the Coast Guard careers and I saw that becoming and MK was right up my alley.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My second choice is a GM. I've always had an interest in firearms and I have a nack for mechanics and figuring things out.

If I do decided to enlist I want my girl of 4 years to come with me. I'm sure that means marrying her, which is in the cards anyways.

Do you get a job right away? Go to A school right away? Was is the first few months after basic like?

If someone would please comment I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. proheromk1

proheromk1

I am currently an MK1 and I love it. As far as turbine powered boats, there is only 1. The 378 ft. high endurance cutters, and the primary propulsion is diesels, the turbine is for speed. 90% of the maintenance is contracted out. You can choose to go out to the fleet out of boot camp or try to get a guaranteed school from your recruiter (your best route). If you have your heart set on turbines you should look into AMT. Only difference is you will work on aircraft and not boats. Great job though. Whatever you choose good luck.

:thumbsup:

3. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra

I had a meeting with my recruiter today. Gave me a bunch of information and a lot to look forward to.

I also talked to a Chief MK and he was telling me about his experiences. Sounds like a blast.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

-Do you have any ship duty? Get called away to sea?
    -Where are you stationed? Do you like it?
    -Did you get your first choice on your list?

My recruiter told me that I can take a extra test and bypass A-school and go right to a unit as an MK. I have the experience and knowledge (certificates in Marine Tech.). After basic, I would be assigned and head off right away.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it. I have the ASVAB on Apr 2nd and go from there. My recruiter doesn't see me having any issues. I've been a good boy (no drugs or any trouble) and I have graduated high school and "college".

Let me know and I'll keep you all posted.

4. proheromk1

proheromk1

Sorry for the delayed response, but i was out at sea so yes it happens. Right now I'm in Woods Hole MA. I'm going to Charlevoix MI. this summer. When I came here it was my first choice, MI was my second choice this time. Its all based off of assignment priority. If you go to a ship you are a higher priority. I would look further in to the "extra test" thing. He may be blowing smoke, they do that. I have been in for 7 years and have never heard of that. Plus the A school goes into more than just engine stuff. There is hydraulics, AC+R, Electrical and all sorts of other stuff your cert. may or may not have covered.

5. beerswimmer

beerswimmer

:thumbsup: Do give aviation a consideration though.

6. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra

Thanks for the replies!

Everything is still in deep consideration.

I won't be signing anything unless I get what was promised to me on a sheet of paper.

I like a few jobs that the Coast Guard offers... but I think I would be the happiest working with my hands!