Glock Talk banner

Thinking of Changing my Workouts

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  California Jack 
#1 ·
I made some gains and lost a bunch of fat and weight the last 6 months basically following (loosely) Bill Phillips BFL workout. Lift Mon/Wed/Fri and cardio Tues/Thurs/Sat. The lifting days are either upper body or lower body and they alternate. Sets/reps are 5 sets 12-10-8-6-12 increasing in weight except the last set. My cardio days I do a sort of HIIT program on either treadmill or elliptical trainer. Occasionally I get outside to do true HIIT....sprints on the football field.

I still have some fat I'd like to lose....want to get under 10% body fat. Don't know my current BF % but I know I'm a ways off but I kinda feel like I'm not progressing much any more. Maybe it's diet? but I don't know. I feel like changing my workout though.

What do you think of this? I just bought a book called Cardio Strength Training. I like the concept and think I will start to incorporate some of that into what I do. Not sure though if I should do this in place of my current cardio or in place of my current lifting? What do you GT experts think? I DON'T want to bulk up. Do I want to get stronger? Sure who doesn't but my main goal is just to get in better shape, better condition, better health. Thank you.

#3 · (Edited)
I DON'T want to bulk up. .
than do not eat too much. It doesn't matter how you work out, you will not gain weight, muscle or fat, if you do not consume excess calories.

I started this hobby by starting with BFL too. If you are still making progress, however you define that, keep doing it.

#6 ·
If you want to get leaner its all diet.

I went from 10% bodyfat to around 6% last summer with no added cardio. And even set some PRs during that time.

Perhaps you can clean up your diet some more?

Like Eye said, whats the gist of this Cardio Strength Training?

Maybe instead of HIIT you could try mixed circuits?

Like sledge hammer swings, sandbag work, sled work etc.

#7 · (Edited)
Just to toss out some other ideas:

Never Gymless or Infinite Intensity sample 50 day program

5/3/1 two days per week and conditioning on two or three others. I think I got farther following that plan that probably any other. If I had the time and energy, I'd be doing that now.

Like CJ typed, just don't over-eat and you won't bulk up. Keep in mind that people generally have to try really, really hard to add significant lean mass.

#17 ·
I have heard that at least a couple of times. Almost curious enough to watch Fight Club to see if I should want to look that way too. Almost. :rofl:
Fight Club is a very good movie. It's a better novel. It's not even Palahniuk's best novel, but it's pretty good.

Brad Pit looks a little emaciated in that movie. He looks muscular just because he had single digit body fat, not because he's particularly muscular.

#19 ·
What is the premise behind cardio strength training? I've never heard of this before.
Book is by Robert dos Remedios (Coach Dos)http://www.amazon.com/dp/1605296554...iveASIN=1605296554&adid=1B93H92EJY12Y174YFZ4&

In this book he teaches three modes of "cardio strength training"; Complexes, Timed Sets (or Density training), and Tabata Protocol.

I've only sort of speed read through it so far so I won't explain in more detail now at least until I know, understand and experience more of it.

I did my first workout today using the book as a guide. I did the advanced dumbell complex which consisted of 3x6-10 (tried 10 reps per but discovered that was too much...) of the following:
Hang Snatch, Squat and Press Hybrid, Push Up and Core Row Hybrid, Weighted Burpee. Each exercise is performed without putting down the implement (dumbells in this case) consecutively without resting in between exercises. After completing the 4 exercises one set is complete and you rest 90 sec. then start over. Short, fast and hard. Got my heart rate going like crazy and me sweating bullets!
Also discovered that Coach Dos has a website www.coachdos.com. It's a paid membership sited but there's a couple video clips that show some examples of his stuff and you can also read about him.

#20 ·
Book is by Robert dos Remedios (Coach Dos)http://www.amazon.com/dp/1605296554...iveASIN=1605296554&adid=1B93H92EJY12Y174YFZ4&

In this book he teaches three modes of "cardio strength training"; Complexes, Timed Sets (or Density training), and Tabata Protocol.

I've only sort of speed read through it so far so I won't explain in more detail now at least until I know, understand and experience more of it.

I did my first workout today using the book as a guide. I did the advanced dumbell complex which consisted of 3x6-10 (tried 10 reps per but discovered that was too much...) of the following:
Hang Snatch, Squat and Press Hybrid, Push Up and Core Row Hybrid, Weighted Burpee. Each exercise is performed without putting down the implement (dumbells in this case) consecutively without resting in between exercises. After completing the 4 exercises one set is complete and you rest 90 sec. then start over. Short, fast and hard. Got my heart rate going like crazy and me sweating bullets!
Also discovered that Coach Dos has a website www.coachdos.com. It's a paid membership sited but there's a couple video clips that show some examples of his stuff and you can also read about him.
Sounds like good stuff, but I think Ross beat him to it.

www.rosstraining.com

#23 ·
Yeah, a whole lot of ways to package this kind of stuff. I like Ross because his books are cheap and very well laid out. Ross is a super cool guy too.
All that and he teaches you to build your own program so you'd know if this is card or strength training.

Getting back to the original question, I think that tabatas and complexes can be used on your cardio day or as a finisher on strength day. while density training is for strength day. That is how I would program it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.