Glock Talk banner

Thinking G19 Gen4 BUT are they finally all fixed from issues?

9K views 66 replies 40 participants last post by  mazroth 
#1 ·
Thinking about a G19 Gen4. But are all the issues fixed now with current parts? (ie RSA, extractor, ejector)

What part numbers are the latest and greatest for the G19 Gen4?

What is the best serial number prefix to look for to buy a correctly up to date G19 gen4?

#3 ·
By now you should be good to go as long as the production date is fairly recent. They really are great guns! I have a Gen 4 17 and love that pistol. I don't use any of the backstraps and it fits my hand so nice! I wear a size large glove. I will say that the trigger pull on my Gen 3 19 is a bit lighter though.

#4 ·
Maybe not...

Here is a Gen 3 thread for an April 2013 gun:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489638

Late model Gen 3s and Gen 4s share the same problems.

I don't think I see as many problems with the .40s. Why not search the forum or post another thread asking specifically about the .40s. Sure, the 9mm is easier to shoot and perhaps ammo is a little less costly but a number of users are really frustrated with the 9mm guns.

Richard

#5 ·
Maybe not...

Here is a Gen 3 thread for an April 2013 gun:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489638

Late model Gen 3s and Gen 4s share the same problems.

I don't think I see as many problems with the .40s. Why not search the forum or post another thread asking specifically about the .40s. Sure, the 9mm is easier to shoot and perhaps ammo is a little less costly but a number of users are really frustrated with the 9mm guns.

Richard

I don't want a .40. I'm only sticking to 9mm and 45. Anyone else have a very newly made G19 gen4? (perhaps made in May 2013?) What is your serial number prefix?

#6 · (Edited)
It's still a gamble. Not every new Glock has BTF issues, only some in a random order. That's why serial numbers don't tell you anything about BTF issues. Every new gen4 in 9mm and .40 test fired after ~February 2012 has the newest recoil spring and ejector. You need to go by the test firing date (small orange envelope in Glock case with two shell casings in it) if you want a recently made one.

#7 ·
I don't want a .40. I'm only sticking to 9mm and 45. Anyone else have a very newly made G19 gen4? (perhaps made in May 2013?) What is your serial number prefix?
My G19 Gen 4 is about a month old. I love it.

No btf but a couple off the bean and a few off the right arm. No big deal AFAIC. Not even a distraction. In my case it happened with high quality reloads which I'd guess were underpowered. No problems with new.

#9 · (Edited)
It's still a gamble. Not every new Glock has BTF issues, only some in a random order.
That's why it is good to do the research and be an informed consumer. And no snivelling if it goes sideways because you knew going in that it was a gamble; somebody loses every once in awhile.

I waited 2 years before I bought my G36 and I find that with full power ammo, everything works fine. But it was a gamble! And I still only have a couple of hundred rounds through it... Sometimes the issues don't show up until there's a thousand rounds or so through the gun.

I'm still considering a G39 knowing full well that it would be another gamble. The difference being that there just isn't the sample size for the .45 GAP as there is with the 9mm guns.

I wonder if I can shoot craps and 'pass' 3 times in a row?

Richard

#10 ·
When the first models came out in 2011, it had recoil spring, ejector problems and even some extraction issues. It took about a year, but by January of 2012, I think they corrected the main issues.
I bought mine in January of 2012 with the corrected parts for the above problems. I have fired all types of loads without a single problem. The only slight noticible thing is that the brass ejects a little more erratically in direction with 115 grain loads, than with heavier loads, like 124g or 147g bullets that ejected at the 45 degree angle almost all the time.

#11 ·
At my range this weekend a gentleman with 400 rounds through his brand new GEN3 G19 had his first round hit him in the face. It got caught between his glasses and burned him just below the eye. Another with a brand new GEN4 G19's first round out of the gun hit him in the forehead. S no their are still problems.
Some run, some don't. Some are fixed with a little tweaking. Others won't run no matter what you do. like F106 said. You are taking a risk. Some run for awhile then have problems. But the newest ones are much better overall than a couple of years ago. Good luck.

#13 ·
The more forums I read the more I'm going to run. FAR away!

Most BTF's occur after the 700-800 rd mark (from most posts I've read)

Sorry Glock but going elsewhere. I don't want to have to pay more $$$ for an Apex part either.
And I'm not a gambling man.

Seems it's a crap shoot to get a working out of the box G19 gen4.

Really sad.

#14 ·
I seem to hear about less issues as of late. My 19 has been fine and a few others that I have personally seen have been fine. I've only heard of issues from people online, but then again, people are more likely to post about an issue than they are about a product working as expected.

#16 ·
By now you should be good to go as long as the production date is fairly recent. They really are great guns! I have a Gen 4 17 and love that pistol. I don't use any of the backstraps and it fits my hand so nice! I wear a size large glove. I will say that the trigger pull on my Gen 3 19 is a bit lighter though.
If you can afford to run +P ammo only in it you MAY be just fine.

#18 ·
i just got one (test fire date 4/2013) and it shot 250 rounds just fine with both the new and older extractors that I swapped out/in for the test. I actually am confident that the gun will work just fine too...

#20 ·

I waited 2 years before I bought my G36 and I find that with full power ammo, everything works fine. But it was a gamble! And I still only have a couple of hundred rounds through it... Sometimes the issues don't show up until there's a thousand rounds or so through the gun.

I'm still considering a G39 knowing full well that it would be another gamble. ...

Richard

The stuff that I have read about the G36 suggests that the few that have problems seem to have the problems from the start as opposed to others such as the G19 in which people have reported the first ~thousand rounds to be fine before "it" starts.

I do not think I have heard anyone reporting any of the current issues with the G39 (from the dozen or so sold in the last couple years.:whistling:)

I continue to be perplexed by the sporadic report of Glock replacing a gun. I wonder if they really cannot get it to work properly, or are afraid that the fix is to replace the slide and that might cause an avalanche, or are they simply trying to pacify a "difficult" customer.

#21 ·
The stuff that I have read about the G36 suggests that the few that have problems seem to have the problems from the start as opposed to others such as the G19 in which people have reported the first ~thousand rounds to be fine before "it" starts.

I do not think I have heard anyone reporting any of the current issues with the G39 (from the dozen or so sold in the last couple years.:whistling:)
Yes, I am aware that the 9mm guns may not become quirky until many rounds have gone downrange. For many shooters, that may never happen. They shoot a box every couple of months and call it good.

And, yes, that's the thing with the 33 and 39. There aren't a lot of them out there so the sample size is limited.

As to subcompacts, I am truly torn. I would consider the G26 for reduced recoil, the G27 because I reload .40 for my wife, the G33 for no particular reason except the shape of the cartridge should preclude certain types of jams and the G39 because I load .45 ACP by the dumpster load. Resetting the dies to .45 GAP shouldn't be a problem.

I have to toss the G26 because it is a late model Gen 3 9mm and probably the G33 because, well, just because. That leaves the G27 and G39 as viable candidates. The G27 gets a lot of heat from new shooters due to recoil but I can't imagine the G39 being any less. And I'm not a new shooter.

The slide on the G39 is fatter than the G27 but the overall width of the guns is identical according to Glock.

I suppose I'll go with what I know and buy the G27 but I'll always wonder about the G39. Or maybe I'll buy them both, over time.

I continue to be perplexed by the sporadic report of Glock replacing a gun. I wonder if they really cannot get it to work properly, or are afraid that the fix is to replace the slide and that might cause an avalanche, or are they simply trying to pacify a "difficult" customer.
I don't know how that works out. I'm please that Glock Customer Service is so responsive but concerned that they need to be.

I'm also convinced that many of the purported problems are due to wimpy ammo and marginal shooters. Not all the problems, but many.

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.