Thinking about upgrading to Windows 7

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bear62, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Hi Folks,

I have a three year old Dell desktop which runs under the Vista operating system. It is terribly slow and sluggish. Presently, I have only one GB of memory. I know that's probably not enough. I've ordered two additional MB's which should be here sometimes early next week. Three MB's should make an improvement don't you think?

I'm also thinking about upgrading to Windows 7. I know my way around computers somewhat but I'm definitely not in the computer geek category.

Soooooooo some questions:

- Has anyone installed Windows 7 over an existing Vista system?
    - If so how difficult was it to do?
    - And finally what do you think of Windows 7 speed and general performance (compared to Vista)?

Thanks very much for your help..........

Bear........:wavey:

correction - One GB of Ram.......

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Don H

Don H

One MB of ram? :wow:

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

I'm going to guess that might be one GB of memory.

4. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

I am happy with Win7 and I was a big XP fan. Seems to be very stable.

Do your research into required system specs. Required is not the same as recommended. Make sure you go above and beyond because traditionally you need more than what MS recommends to have a smoothly operating OS.

5. Don H

Don H

6. edporch

edporch

Brings back memories.
    I remember in the 80's when I was the first one where I worked to get a 20Mhz 80386 based motherboard.
    It came with 2MB of RAM and the programmers were asking me what I was "ever going to do with all that RAM".
    In those days, 640KB was the limit of what everybody was running.

7. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I hated vista so anything would be an inprovment. Windows 7 works as well as XP.

8. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

I replaced my computers and upgraded from XP to Windows 7 - mostly because Microsoft no longer supports XP - leaving one stuck when problems come up. Vista was a bust for me and 7 is better but is a long way from perfect - tending to "freeze up" often and the "diagnostics" provided look impressive but, in reality, are just window dressing and no real help.

I went for the 64 bit version because it is faster - then discovered a little publicized fact that some of your programs compatible with the 32 bit version aren't compatible with the 64 bit one.

I make do but feel strongly that Microsoft has been in business so long and produced so many DOS - plus has had years to sort out the kinks in Windows 7 - Windows 7 should be a lot more trouble free than it is. I want to stick with Windows and realize DOS are complicated but, I feel strongly, this version should be a lot more trouble free.

9. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

Have I? Yes, would I recommend it? No
    It's pretty easy to do, it can leave lingering issues around that will pop up later. Backup and reinstall.
    Most excellent, I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 since it became available for Technet Subscribers over a year ago. I wouldn't run anything else then Windows 7 x64 unless I have some ancient program that won't run on Win7. It's extremely fine OS that is worthy successor to XP.

10. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I upgraded my laptop from Vista to Windows 7. Vista was locking up...often. It sucked. Windows 7....no lockups yet. Also runs faster in general.

Make sure your computer can handle Windows 7 first with their upgrade advisor.

I did not choose the upgrade option....I did a clean install.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Never upgrade a M$ OS. Always format and install from scratch. 3GB RAM will be fine for the x86 version. I think you'll be happy with Win 7 over Blista. I've installed Win 7 on old Dell 610s with 2GB RAM as a test and it was usable.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

BTW, I'm running Win7 Pro x64 on a Dell E6500 and it runs everything fine, including all my x86 apps.

13. community

community Member

I like windows 7. fast and easy. no problems for me.

14. sbhaven

sbhaven

Having built and upgraded a few systems over the years, the best bet is to install the OS fresh on an empty hard drive. Make sure to have all the latest drivers for the OS from the motherboard or computer manufacturer before starting the new OS install/upgrade. All too ofter doing an in place upgrade over the top of an existing OS, ends up with garbage from the previous OS that doesn't play nice with the new OS. And apparently for XP you have to do a fresh install of Windows 7 rather than an upgrade. With Vista you can do an in place upgrade over the top to Windows 7.

More RAM is usually the best and cheapest investment to speed up a computer. However you run into a wall at 4 GB of RAM on Windows x32 OS's. With any Windows x64 OS you can access more than 4 GB of RAM but you then run into trouble with making sure you can find x64 supported drivers and programs.

The other big problem with Windows 7 is you may have to upgrade many of your programs in order for them to work properly. For example while I was able to install Microsoft Office 2003 on my Windows 7 x32 laptop it has some quirks (especially with Outlook, where it won't save the email passwords) that can crash the Office program from time to time.

If one is interested in upgrading to Windows 7 install the Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade Advisor and run it. It will tell you if your system can support the upgrade and what hardware and software may have to be upgraded for Windows 7 to work properly.

15. orgnova

orgnova

microsoft will be supporting windows xp for awhile longer. i'll keep my windows xp pro. my 2¢

16. Compy222

Compy222

windows 7 is about 800x better than vista. i like it as much as xp.

it's not bad at all. 3gb of ram should run it well. just try to keep your background processes down - as they can be real memory suckers.

17. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Windows 7 is a great investment, and their best OS to date. You'll like it. :supergrin:

18. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

And you would be the big winner.....:rofl: My keyboard mistake.......

19. Enoy21

Enoy21

I hated Vista , Went straight from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate ( or professional if you prefer ) and I really like it. Much more intuitive and natural to navigate.

2 GB Ram is minimum for windows 7 ( and should have been for Vista ) I recommend 4 GB memory for Win7 and if you have a 64 bit Processor ( if it's dual core or quad then it should be ) then I recommend getting the Win7 64bit edition.

20. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

I thought Vista was a loser also - I tried it and ended up donating the computer it came on to our local church.

I have the professional version of Windows 7 (64 bit) on both new HP desktops with all the bells and whistles - 4GB RAM, etc. - but still get unhappy (in the AM mostly - but, to lesser degree later in day) when I get the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working" - then get the message it is shut down - then without any input from me, it starts up again either giving me the choice of going to my previous page or getting a new start with IE - either way usually wastes a number of minutes - when I have other things to do.

Sometimes, it gives me the message that "This tab has been recovered" - pointing to a tab I wasn't aware of even using - Windows 7 has a lot of good points but there is still plenty of room for improvement - which is slow coming - I've had it for nearly six months now.

Improvement - yes

More improvement needed - you bet!!!