Thinking about selling a gun for the first time. . .

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TheDreadnought, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

What are the pro's/con's of selling someplace here, vs. someplace like Gunbroker.

What do I need to know?

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

By "here" do you mean locally or on GT?

Local sales are easier because you just meet the buyer. Gunbroker will usually require an FFL transfer. I ship from my local dealer to theirs for the smoothest transaction.

3. mattallamerican

mattallamerican

I like gun shows face to face buyer shows a ccw id or at least a drivers licence

4. DAKA

DAKA

There are some pitfalls, I ONLY sell with a BILL OF SALE, CWP and Florida Drivers license (in FL duh)
    Make sure that you get a "feel" for the person when you have first contact, I want to talk to them on the phone, then, and, I ALWAYS HAVE A SECOND PERSON WITH ME...ARMED.
    And I NEVER HAVE THEM COME TO MY HOUSE, always meet at a busy location....Mall, etc, then do the transaction in MY CAR with my armed person sitting behind the purchaser.
    I want $20 bills and I check each one (as best I can)
    If by mail, only with a USPS money order, which I take to the Post Office for authentication, then ship to their FFL, or have my FFL ship it.
    I think that covers it.....

5. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

For rifles, after payment and a copy of their dealers license and an email stating they receive guns from private parties, I'll ship the gun to their FFL with a copy of my drivers license and often a copy of the original bill of sale with serial # from when I purchased the firearm.
    For handguns I prefer face to face in my state of residence with bills of sale for both parties with DL numbers. The buyer is usually known to me in these cases, otherwise it's shipping from my FFL to their FFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

You generally get the most money on gunbroker, and the least locally. Forums are good places to sell/buy also. To me, local is also much more hassle, arranging a meeting, no show, etc. I'd much rather ship at my convenience with no chance of being mugged.

DJ Niner likes this.
  7. AzItLies

AzItLies

I have more often traded a gun in, but not always. Have you checked locally for gun sales? I found a site called 'armslist', paid a few bucks and my kahr pm9 was sold in less than 2 days. In Az, the advantage was no FFL needed, no shipping, etc etc. The guy who bought it was retired cop and completely understood my request he sign a bill of sale.

check out local possibilities. I also sold a Sig to a local gun store. No FFL needed etc. So much less complicated.

8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have sold several at gun shows . I do require a drivers license and I check my states court system to see if the person has had any problems. I prefer to see a CCW card as that tells me that they pass thru the system cleanly. Someone that has been on a gun forum like this one for quite a while works... face to face.

I have sold several guns to police officers... I check out their badge and they can copy my stuff down... that works really well.

9. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Six years ago I sold my G27 to a local cop that I worked with back when he was going to College. Years later we connected in same village area.

He's now a Sgt and want's a new Sig. His wife was over last night for a bit with their new baby girl. I ask her if her hubby would sell the 27 back to me. I've not heard yet and am getting excited. I purchased it nib in 2003 and regretted selling it since.

10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Here: Smaller exposer

GB: Larger number of potential buyers.

11. Firearmfanatic

Firearmfanatic The Enabler

Gunbroker provides a wider audience of potiential buyers to get the price you are looking for. Less chance of ftf potiential scam, body harm, and better security for you.

Glock Commander likes this.
  12. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Sell on GunBroker! Your potential buyers are in the millions as opposed to in the thousands here on GT.

FYI.....what are you selling?

TGG

13. bac1023

bac1023

I do both depending on the type of gun.

14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Considering selling my Kel Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 with some 22 round Glock mags. (Its chambered in .40).

I've only taken it to the range twice and shot maybe a box each time. So it's practically like new after a year. I'm thinking that means I don't like it as much as some of my other stuff so maybe I should pass it on to someone who would enjoy it more.

OTOH, I can see how it would be useful to have a high capacity carbine that folds up in a regular backpack... even if I almost never use it. So hard to say...,

15. lazarus66

lazarus66

I just deal with people I know. So far, so good.

16. method

method

For the money you're likely to get for it, $400ish, I don't think I'd bother with Gunbroker and shipping. Just do Armslist.