Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I currently have a G17 and a G20. I think they are great. I am considering adding a G21 or 41 to the collection. The only .45 experience I have is with 1911's. I have never shot a .45 from another platform. I know it will have a different feel and shoot differently, so... this is for you guys/girls that have both. How do you like the G21 and wich do you normally prefer to shoot? How is the difference in recoil chatacteristics and accuracy compaired to a standard 1911?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The 20 and 21 will feel the same in the hand. Recoil will depend on bullet weight and velocity. I would expect similar power factors to feel the same. I prefer the 41.

·
bene vivere
2,535 Posts
Hello all, I currently have a G17 and a G20. I think they are great. I am considering adding a G21 or 41 to the collection. The only .45 experience I have is with 1911's. I have never shot a .45 from another platform. I know it will have a different feel and shoot differently, so... this is for you guys/girls that have both. How do you like the G21 and wich do you normally prefer to shoot? How is the difference in recoil chatacteristics and accuracy compaired to a standard 1911?
I have a 41 and a 21 and I use the 21 a great deal more. They are both accurate and soft shooting, but I carry my 21 when I ride my horse up in the Northern NM mountains. It also protects my cabin and my home in town. I use the 41 for shooting steel targets. I find both to have less recoil and are more accurate than my old series 70 Colt 1911 gubmint model.

FYI there is an informative thread about the Glock 21 going on in the GT Gun Clubs Forum, 21Club section.
By the way, welcome to GlockTalk, lotsa good info here!
Font Automotive exterior Pattern Logo Signage

Reactions: Sharkey

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 41 and a 21 and I use the 21 a great deal more. They are both accurate and soft shooting, but I carry my 21 when I ride my horse up in the Northern NM mountains. It also protects my cabin and my home in town. I use the 41 for shooting steel targets. I both to have less recoil and more accurate than my old series 70 Colt 1911 gubmint model.

FYI there is an informative thread about the Glock 21 going on in the GT Gun Clubs Forum, 21Club section.
By the way, welcome to GlockTalk, lotsa good info here! View attachment 1023611
Thanks for the thread info. I will check it out.

·
Rottweilers making America great again!
3,946 Posts
.45ACP is a great defensive pistol caliber.
Recoil is not an issue. It is a low pressure round. Punches a big hole.
Pretty much feels the same as shooting a full size 9mm to me.

Reactions: Valmet

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.45ACP is a great defensive pistol caliber.
Recoil is not an issue. It is a low pressure round. Punches a big hole.
Pretty much feels the same as shooting a full size 9mm to me.
Yeah, I have a G20 and after shooting about 100 rounds out of it, I actually like it more than my Kimber .45

·
21,152 Posts
Hello all, I currently have a G17 and a G20. I think they are great. I am considering adding a G21 or 41 to the collection. The only .45 experience I have is with 1911's. I have never shot a .45 from another platform. I know it will have a different feel and shoot differently, so... this is for you guys/girls that have both. How do you like the G21 and wich do you normally prefer to shoot? How is the difference in recoil characteristics and accuracy compaired to a standard 1911?
The G21 is the perfect size but I prefer either Gen3 SF or the Gen 4 with the smallest grip. As far as the recoil characteristics the flexible polymer frame absorbs recoil and the doublestack wide grip spreads it over a larger portion of the hand, and Plus+P and even 45 Super doesn't approach the pain threshold as far as recoil goes.
Cartoon Sharing Gesture Font Art

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like my G21, it's a great handgun and the recoil from the .45 is not bad at all with it. I find it to be a smooth shooting gun. The G41 is labeled by Glock as a competition gun. That's not my area of interest so I'm happy with the G21.

·
M62/76
13,364 Posts
I prefer the 21 to the 41. Purchased my 21 in 2004 and a 41 a few years ago and only kept the 41 for 6-8 months, it just wasn’t for me as I shot the 21 much better. Been my nightstand gun for years.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I too have a G17 and a G20.
But don't really feel the need for another caliber now.
The G17 is great for shooting a lot of paper and defense against small animals.
The G20 covers everything else perfectly.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,969 Posts
The G21 shoots a bit softer because it's heavier than the G41, it's a great gun. The G41 is nice, I've had a few but I still have a G21.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,796 Posts
Carried the G21 for nearly 20 years of my career. Picked one up a few months ago. As far as durability, they’ll go 300k rounds plus. Accuracy is great and limited only by the shooter’s skill set. Shootability is excellent and I just don’t see much difference between the normal service calibers. Overall strength is excellent. It doesn’t compare to an HK USP 45, but it’s not too far behind.

The nice thing about a G21 is that it can become a G20 while the reverse isn’t true.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,422 Posts
The G21 is my favorite, but it's big and heavy so I don't carry it everyday. The smaller G43 9mm is my everyday carry pistol. The G21 is accurate, reliable and packs a real punch. My shoulder holster rig, carries the loaded G21 and two extra magazines. 13x3= 39 + one chambered is 40 rounds of .45 acp. That's a lot of firepower!

Flash

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
If you think the 20 is great the 21 is going to be your favorite 45 and quite possibly your favorite handgun, it'll definitely be in your top five. If you decide to go the Glock longslide route definitely get the G40, what a pleasure to shoot banging steel at a hundred yards.

·
Registered
26,917 Posts
I only have two 45 ACP pistols - a CZ97b and a G21.

I would have to say, for me the CZ97b is a better shooter - if I was looking for a fun gun the CZ would be my pick over the G21. I also prefer the CZ to a1911 so maybe I am weird.

But my G21 is the one I use as my home defense handgun.

It is not just the 13+1 capacity VS 10+1 in the CZ - but the Glock has a Streamlight where the CZ doesn't.

Both are reliable -

IMHO a G19 and G21 are two of the best Glock pistols - and are the only two I have at this point.

·
MacGyver
8,471 Posts
Loaded questions comparing Glock to 1911. Apples and oranges. Haters and lovers of both.
Try renting a G21 for your own truths.

The nice thing about a G21 is that it can become a G20 while the reverse isn’t true.
???
Sure it can.
They are the same frame.
Just have the appropriate slide and mags. A G21 slide assembly can go on G20 frame., and vice versa.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I own a G17(5), a G20(4), and a G21(4). I have owned a 1911 in the past. The G21 is great but its identical to the G20 below the slide so its going to feel the same that way and the difference is the felt recoil due to the generally higher power of the 10mm vs 45ACP. The G21 is a very easy pistol to shoot and its 13 round mags make it one of the best capacity options for a 45ACP.

Comparing it to a 1911, both are very easy pistols to shoot. The G21 wins on capacity but feels like its a bit wider.

To be honest, I'd probably wait a bit to see if Gen 5 G20's and G21's get announced at SHOT Show this week. Also, in my case I got the G20 later then the G21 and it fits a niche but as others have said, I'm not sure the G21 fits a niche if you already have a G20 beyond the improved capacity and generally cheaper ammo. My point is that it's not likely to feel like a new gun to you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts