close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking about opening a car repair business

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mhill, Sep 19, 2012.

1. mhill

mhill

There is an old Circle K station near me. I'm in a good part of town. I don't think getting business would be a problem. The station for sale has 4 bays and 3 lifts. Been closed for about 4 years. No tanks. I would get a no action letter for myself for any epa issues.

The station minus needing a bunch of cleanup is pretty much ready for business. Lifts and compressor and stuff already in place.

Started running some numbers but unless I get about 3 mechanics busy there I don't think I can make money. I wanted to start slow with just one mechanic.

I also work a fulltime job and would just do this on the side. I would have to hire a fulltime mechanic to run the place.

Besides the hourly rate how else would I make money? Do we mark up parts?

I would concentrate on a quality business that completed work on time and had good communication with the customer.

Am I crazy. Just always wanted to run a business for myself.

2. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

You just have to know how those things run. I was in the service side of dealerships for years (service advisor/asst manager), and am a pretty fair wrench in my spare time, too. I don't know if I could run one or not. If you plan on keeping a full-time job while opening and running it for quite a while, you better have someone in mind that knows the tech side and the business side very well, AND that you can trust with everything you've got. That kind of person wouldn't come cheap. No offense, but if you don't know if you mark up parts, you don't have enough time near a shop. What do you bring to the table business-wise?

3. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Im going to be honeset with you, so dont take offense at what I say. You are not ready to open a shop. If you dont understand the markup on parts and you think you could hire a mechanic to run it, you are lost. Totally clueless. I have owned my own shop and I am a dealership service manager.

Have you thought about the rest of the startup costs? What about insurance? You realize that you will need more than one employee, especially if you wont be there full time. Running a shop is a full time and a half job, not to mention the help you will need. Your employee(s) salary will be coming straight from your pocket for a while. Business wont just come in because you are open. You have to build a reputation and relationships.

You also have to deal with hazmat issues, getting accounts with tons of vendors, etc. As far as equipment, is there a brake lathe? What about flush machines(trans, coolant, brake, etc?). You will need these things.

Seriously, asking the questions you are, you are heading straight for disaster. Are you a mechanic? Whats your background in auto repair?

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

I don't think you need to know much. It looks pretty easy to me. My buddy Max opened one up in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago and he had no auto experience. All he did was sit in the office and drink all day. I think it was too easy and he got bored because he closed it in like two months.

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

maybe it's not better

6. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

:rofl:

7. DairyFresh

DairyFresh

You know how to make a small fortune in the repair business?

Start out with a large fortune.

8. 17&27

17&27

Sound advice.
    Good help in this business is extremely hard to find.
    One slip of a wrench or accidently grounding out a wire can cost you hundreds or thousands out of your pocket to fix. You have to be on site and overseeing EVERYTHING about this business. If you don't shoddy work will be going out the door and the help will be doing jobs for cash and stealing from you.
    I speak from experience, 36 years in the business, 15 years as a shop owner.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Dibs on the wheel weights!

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Either my drugs or working OT or a bunch of posts on this went missing, or my drugs are under-performing and there are two threads on this...

11. PBCounty

PBCounty

Two threads. Utah, get me two.