Glock Talk banner

Thinking about giving the 1911 another try

4K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  ilgunguygt 
#1 ·
I am hoping for suggestions. I have searched and found the buyer's guide and other great threads, kind of hoping for a fresh prospective (I know the info hasn't changed much, but maybe there is someone out there with new experiences).

My problem is I have tried 1911's in the past but must have had bad luck. I had a Springfield Champion that was nothing but a headache. I had a Kimber custom II that was just as bad. Both had to be returned to the factory for repairs, I sold them both. This has lead me to not trust 1911s. I have been envious of people who own them without any problems. In early 1990s while in the military, I was in a unit that still had some Colt 1911s. These things worked, and that is where my interest was peaked.

I really want to own a 1911 and would love suggestions for a full size with ambi safeties. Thanks for your time and patience. Frank.

#3 ·
This is only my thoughts, I am no expert. You have had experience with Colt 1911 from the military. If they were like most weapons that I encountered they were VERY well used and broke in. That is one reason they worked so well. Start looking for a well used and broke in 1911, get it for a good price and you will be happy for many years. Then pass it on down to your kids or grandchildren.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

#6 ·
All the Colts I've ever owned have worked from the get-go. You could buy a Series 80 and have an ambi put on it for very reasonable, and have a great resale if you ever decided to move it. Colts are built for use and don't have those excessivly tight tolerances that can cause issue. And mine are accurate right ou of the box. Just a thought.

#10 ·
With some wheeling and dealing, a brand new blued Colt full size Series 80 Government Model can be had for around $850. It has slightly better sights, enlarged ejection port and the internal firing pin safety, but otherwise it looks damn close to a GI piece.

#11 ·
If it's just for the range, stick with full size. The $1000-$1200 opens the door to many great machines. My first choice would be S&W E-Series, second, higher end Springfield (TRP?). Even though I have more Glocks, I still love the 1911 platform. Compact 1911 on hip, G22 with light/strobe/laser at bedside.

#12 ·
I have a Delta Elite that had a few hiccups when I first got it but now after a few hundred rounds and a lot of cleaning and oiling it runs like a champ. I've gone throng a few different ambi-safeties trying to find one I really like. I finally spent the money for a Wilson Combat bulletproof tactical ambi-safety and I love it.

My Sig 1911 Extreme has never had a hiccup through about 300 rounds and it came standard with ambi-safety very similar to the Wilson Combat bulletproof on my Delta.

#16 ·
If you really, really have to have an ambidextrous thumb safety then this is the way to go.
I shoot left handed so it was kind of a must for me. The price was a little more than I wanted to spend but I went through two other safeties that I hated before finally spending the money for the WC bulletproof and realize I should have just done it to begin with. Would have saved a lot of money in the long run

#19 · (Edited)
If you really, really have to have an ambidextrous thumb safety then this is the way to go.
I shoot left handed so it was kind of a must for me. The price was a little more than I wanted to spend but I went through two other safeties that I hated before finally spending the money for the WC bulletproof and realize I should have just done it to begin with. Would have saved a lot of money in the long run
Agreed but they're hard to find in steel.

I would get this now! I dont understand how it has been sitting for so long.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?7318-Springfield-TRP

Deal and a half if you ask me.

Marc
Agreed

#21 ·
I have 3 Colt 1911s (70 Gold Cup, 70 Government Combat & 70 Government Model) and they all work fine. The Government Model needed a lot of work (cut down ejection port, bevel mag well, ambi safety, etc) but I shot it in competition for quite a while. It is very well worn. Abused, actually...

All of them pale in comparison to the Sig 1911 XO model I picked up a few months ago. It is a great 1911 and shoots every bit as well as the Gold Cup.

The only problem I have with the Sig is that the slide is 'different' and the gun won't fit in any 1911 holster. It fits in the Sig Serpa-style holster and that's ok for me.

The Sig also has an external extractor so purists might complain. Personally, I don't care. As long as it works.

A really great 1911...

Richard

#22 ·
Well Frank..... $1k gets you into a very reliable 1911.

My choice was this Sig Sauer "Nightmare"..... I have shot over 1400 rounds now without a single failure. I love this pistol. Lots of goodies already installed.... including night sites. Got mine at a gun show.... Out the door at $1050. Have heard others making better deals out the door.

#25 ·
"I am hoping for suggestions. I have searched and found the buyer's guide and other great threads, kind of hoping for a fresh prospective (I know the info hasn't changed much, but maybe there is someone out there with new experiences)."

When you said buyer's guide were you referring to bac's buyer guide?

If not, check it out it is pretty good. I should warn you that a one gun 1911 owner is very rare. 1911's just tend to need have litter mates.:whistling:

#26 ·
Sigs and S&W's work. If you are not a purist about the extractor.
Valid point.

The 1911 platform has been around long enough where it seems natural that variants and tweeks have been introduced.

Personally, I don't mind the upgrades in pursuit of perfection as long as I am respectful to the original platform which has been battle-proven for many, many years.

I have a bigger problem seeing this platform in any other caliber other than .45acp.

Everyone should at least experience a full-size 1911 in .45acp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.