close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking About Getting Pilot's License

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Goldendog Redux, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

A friend of mine is in the process of getting his private pilot's license. I am friends with the owners of the flight school. I have another friend who is a helicopter instructor-he is the one who told me I should go for it.

I am 44 and have never considered learning to fly but I have the hookup and it seems like a pretty cool man-skill.

I know it is expensive but I think it would actually be super fun.

MF

2. wallytoo

wallytoo FA4AA

One of the best days of my life ever, was the day I took a plane out for a joy-ride. I was still a student pilot at the time, so it was just to perform touch and go's, which I did. On the way back to my home airport, I kinda sorta took the long way around, all staying within my legal training area. Up in the air, not a care in the world.

So, I'd say, go for it. Enjoy the ride!

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Do it now. I could have done it as a teenager and put it off until my mid 30s. Don't wait. I missed decades of flying just by worrying about the cost, and then found that flying can be done on a budget.

4. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I figure I will pick up one of these bad boys and go cruising for chicks.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, I will probly head down to the old landing strip in the next couple days and check it out.

MF

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Ways to save:
    Train in an older plane. There is absolutely no need to pay for leather seats, show winning paint and advanced glass cockpits for primary training. A Cessna 150 will be fine. Aircraft life is measured not in years but on condition. Cessnas and similar planes will be just fine after 10,000 and 20,000 hours of flight Most planes that you will fly will have less than 5,000.

Forget light sport aircraft. They cost more than a perfectly capable older plane.

Hire a flight instructor who wants to be an instructor, not someone who will bail halfway through your training because he's building time by instructing.

Don't buy a fancy flight bag, kneeboard and every gadget. Get a used headset off eBay, a small duffle bag from Wal Mart and a small clipboard from Staples and put an elastic strap on it.

Fly at least twice a week and really try for three to four times.

Learn the regulations and follow them at all times. They will keep you alive.

6. sourdough44

sourdough44

Check out the AOPA website, you should be able to get a free or low cost subscription to 'Flight Training' magazine. As a member they have all kinds of educational info available.

If you want to O.D. on aviation come to the EAA Airventure get together in Oshkosh, WI 23-29 July.

7. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

What ever you do go get your flight physical out of the way 1st. I knew a guy that spent a lot of money then found out he can never fly at night.
    I say go for it. You really can't put it in words how much fun it really is.:supergrin:

8. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Dude, decide why and if you REALLY want to fly. Because it is a cool man skill is not a good reason. Even if you do have a hook up it's terrifically expensive and time consuming if you want to stay current. I'm guessing all the time I was flying privately 80% of the planes on the ramp never moved. Lack of time, lack of motivation, lack of funds, whatever.

If you just want to get airborne I highly recommend paragliding. It's the purest form of flight out there, safer than flying recips, and a whole bunch cheaper (and more fun).

[ame="http://vimeo.com/15476102"]Paragliding Makapu`u. Epic XC to Hygenics and Beyond. on Vimeo[/ame]

And there's really good thermal flying in Nevada.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/7397574"]Jean Dry Lake Las Vegas Paragliding on Vimeo[/ame]

9. jpa

jpa CLM

I'm with the OP that I want to learn to fly too, but I don't want to break the bank doing it. The local community college has a flight school but it looks just as expensive as regular flight schools and on top of it, they want all the money up front. I need to start saving now, I'd love to do it all within the next couple years.

10. goldenlight

goldenlight

My brother owns a 1969 Piper Cherokee. He bought it 20 years ago for $11K.

It's a 4 seat, 200hp (Lycoming) low wing airplane. It has relatively low hours, for it's age.

It's pretty similar in size and performance to a Cessna 172; but the Cessna is a high wing airplane

It cruises at 125 MPH, and burns 9 gallons of aviation fuel an hour. Aviation fuel costs about $1.25 to $1.75 per gallon more than automotive gasoline, depending on greed. The Piper holds 50 gallons of fuel, fully fueled.

Flying is VERY expensive.

11. rhino673

rhino673

I got my pilots license in 1996 . Since then I gradually worked my way up to a commercial license. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
    Like one of the previous post said; find a good professional instructor who wants to instruct. It sucks being halfway through your training and your guy/girl gets the job they have been waiting on and leaves you in the dust.

Start calling some of the local flight schools and try them out until you find one that works for you. Join AOPA. Get you physical out of the way. ( has to be a FAA certified dr) Also, when you get started get the King training videos . http://www.kingschools.com/. Not the cheapest but IMO one of the best things you can buy during your training.

Have fun!

12. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Remember that these bad boys fly on cubic piles of money .....:shocked:

13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I bought my truck for $40K

It burns 7 gallons of fuel to go 125 miles.

Even considering the higher cost of fuel when flying, it doesn't seem THAT much more expensive than driving.

Now, if you want to talk maintenance and insurance costs...

14. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

:alex:

15. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I was told that there are three critical things to flying:

Altitude
    Airspeed
    Ideas

As long as you have at least one, you're okay for the moment.

Seriously though if I had the chance I'd do it in a heartbeat.

16. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

I say go for it my dads had his private pilot license since he was 16, two years before he even had his drivers license. No better time than the present.

17. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Flying is wonderful. Nothing else is quite like it. I will say that it is a lot of work. I was a fairly motivated student. It had been a dream of mine for a long time and I was determined to make it happen. However, by the time I was ready for my checkride just the sight of an airplane was enough to make me sick. I actually took several weeks off after completeing primary training just to kinda regroup and regain the joy of flying.

With that said, if you are determined and really want this then you should definitely do it!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  18. stk10767

stk10767

Always something I have wanted to do as well. I am going for a glider ride later this week, should be fun. Also my wife bought me a 'discovery flight' with a local flight school in a Cessna. I figure those 2 will satisfy me for a while until my children are grown, and I have the time to devote to it.

19. itstime

itstime

My only plans this Summer is to take the gf skydiving. I wonder if any of you are local and would take us for a ride so we can jump out. Lol

20. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Sailplanes are a LOT of fun, you'll love it :supergrin: