close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

thinking about getting an atlatl

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Jan 6, 2006.

1. punkture

punkture

Anyone own or ever used an atlatl? I'm intrigue and have got to give it a chance. Where can I get one? How's the accuracy? I've found several sites online that sell them for $50-300, but the places I've found seem questionable.

2. s002cjs

s002cjs

I'd suggest just making your own. They're a heck of a lot older than the bow and arrow and much less complex to make. Check out http://www.primitiveways.com/ for some suggestions on getting started.

In my experience (and I'm not the most coordinated ;P ), it takes a short while to get the hang of it before things start going where you want them. It's pretty quick to go from the dropped dart to getting one to fly in the right direction, but a while longer to start hitting things.

3. punkture

punkture

excellent site. thank you very much.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

In my extremely limited exposure to them I have learned that the accuracy of one is directly related to how well you can throw an object. If you have poor hand/eye cordination you will probably have a tough time adjusting to throwing an atatl.

Again, I have had a very limited exposure to them.

5. vafish

vafish

I tried using the Australian Aboriginal version called a Woomera a few times when I lived in Australia.

I could throw a spear further, but with less accuracy.

Never tried to hunt anything with it.

6. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Some Atlatl enthusiasts here in Montana tried to get them authorized for hunting. Unsure if they ever did or not. Apparently there is a fairly large group of REALLY primitive hunters here. I guess a muzzleloader or stick bow isn't primitive enough.

FN in MT