Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They have a heavier/thicker barrel.

They have a heavier/thicker 1.5mm receiver.

They have heavier/thicker built trunnions.

They have flip up night sights.

They have a long rod that runs from the back of the butt stock to mount the butt stock vs the standard AK over and under mounts.

Any downsides other than a non-chrome lined barrel and not compatible with other standard AK parts due to its heavier build? How long does it take for corrosive ammo to harm a non-chrome lined barrel?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
It's heaver than most stamped AKs. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of opinion. The originals didn't have an chrome lined barrel. That's not a problem unless you plan on spending time in the water.

·
Lay Them Waste!
1,615 Posts
It's heaver than most stamped AKs.
+1

I own an 'AB2' and love it. Even so, it's a heavy beast, but that's the trade-off for all that extra strength.

Also, if yours comes with plastic furniture, #1, it has no heat-shield and get's really, really hot to the touch after just a few rounds. #2, replacement wood furniture has gotten really hard to find, lately. (As a matter of fact, if anybody knows of where I can get some, I'd appreciate the 'heads-up.') :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1

I own an 'AB2' and love it. Even so, it's a heavy beast, but that's the trade-off for all that extra strength.

Also, if yours comes with plastic furniture, #1, it has no heat-shield and get's really, really hot to the touch after just a few rounds. #2, replacement wood furniture has gotten really hard to find, lately. (As a matter of fact, if anybody knows of where I can get some, I'd appreciate the 'heads-up.') :cool:
I grabbed some (replacement wood furniture) off gunbroker.com a few months ago...don't know if there are still some there, but mine were perfect. Had them sanded and coated...they look great

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It's a beefy AK & heavy. The AK under-folder is the most uncomfortable stock you can imagine. If you actually plan on shooting it much, go with a standard stock.

When it comes to corrosive ammo, humidity is the key. If it's humid, you can have rust in the barrel by the time you get home from the range. Some ammo is far more corrosive than others. I used to get rust in the bore of my SVT-40 within hours of shooting Czech heavy ball, but rust wouldn't surface for days with Bulgarian or EG. It's all chemistry of the ammo and the steel used in the barrel.

·
Tacticool brah!
1,589 Posts
Mix, if my opinion means anything,

I bought my father for his 60th bday a Yugo, in the Zastava PAP. I don't think you'll get a Zastava since they're single stack and while its right up our alley in NJ its surely not what you're looking for, but I made the decision to go with the Yugo (Serbian actually in this case.)

Basically, it's the highest quality there is, outside of say an Arsenal Saiga. and while mine was $450 and I bought maybe another $150ish worth of accessories for him, I simply could not afford the $900 for an Arsenal (And at the time there was no NJ legal Arsenal line, there is now but not then)- so as I said, outside the Arsenal (And now the also $900 Vepr line with the heavy heavy thick RPK receiver and thick beautiful wooden thumbhole stock) I am a Yugo guy for AK.

·
Tacticool brah!
1,589 Posts
And where I meant to go with this, my Dad and I are both the kinds of guys, generally we buy and have the best of stuff, if we're not going to get the best we'll wait. And as far as me buying him something, I definitely wanted the best for him, he was not getting no WASR, no way.

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1

Picked up a set from these guys for my Yugo. Very nice.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/1132

·
NRA Member
3,240 Posts
I love my Yugo underfolder. The stock is super solid and works great. Plus it fits in a back pack !

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,127 Posts
I have two Yugo underfolders. The underfolder is not bad to shoot IF you are wearing a light jacket or..... If you are from the south and generally shoot in a tshirt, I would recommend something else. If you are planning on shooting for precision, ....well it is an AK why are you shooting for precision. I would also suggest you wrap paracord around the stock.

The plus side, the sub contractors build a very solid rifle, unlike some guns build by century. I run my AK with a suppressor. This allows me to turn off the gas and gun it single shot.

On the negative side, it doesn't have a scope mount on the side of the frame. If you want a scope the best option is a forward mounted rail.

·
magnifi ba$tard
503 Posts
My dad's got a Yugo AB2. It works. It's a lot heavier than it needs to be, and a bit of a PITA to keep shouldered and on target when firing multiple mags. I wouldn't want to have to carry one, (whereas I have no problem carrying my SGL carbines).

Yugo rifles don't impress me.

ymmv.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Yugo M70AB2 is one of my best in my collection. It came with the plastic handguards which I replaced with wood from APEX. I also installed fresh tritium night sight. Being an undefolder, it's compact and really maneuverable in tight spaces. Also added a PWS FSC47 muzzle brake.

Here's some pictures

·
magnifi ba$tard
503 Posts
I love my Yugo underfolder. The stock is super solid and works great. Plus it fits in a back pack !
That stock will loosen up with time/use; all underfolders do. That's one of the reasons underfolders aren't produced anymore.

So far as fitting in a small bag goes.. any side-folding stock, (dozens of aftermarket options or AK-100 system), will allow this as well, it doesn't have to be an underfolder.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Mine, built from a bosnian war surplus kit, is the most accurate AK I have shot. It has the original Yugo made barrel.
I don't find the underfolder to be uncomfortable at all, and it was tight when I got it, and still is...even though it was from a used kit.
The pic shows two five round groups fired at 100yds through heavy rain...I could barely see the target...

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,127 Posts
Yugo 7.62x39 underfolder
100 yards
iron sights
4-29-09
5 rounds Wolf military (lacquer coated) JHP

group
3.110-.29=2.82

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.