Thinking about getting a Laser

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by drseth, Mar 5, 2010.

1. drseth

drseth

Hi,

I have a Glock 17 and am interested in getting a Rail mount laser or a combo Laser/flashlight. I would appreciate hearing people's experience using these.

Another thing, what is the minimum Lumens the flashlight mounted to Mr. Glock should be for home defense or having in the car?

Are holsters available for Glocks that have things mounted to the accessory rail?

Seth Anderson
    G17, G19, G26

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. KS-Glock

KS-Glock

I think that you are going to have a hard time finding a holster that you can use for CCW that will have the ability to have rail mounted opitions. The holsters that will allow for lights are generally not very concealable. Are you looking for a inside the pants type? A quick search showed blackhawk makes a serpa holster for outside the pants with a light attached.

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

Agree with KS on concealment issues. If you want a HD weapon, make sure you check out the Viridian X5L (not GLK). Remember that with any laser, a laser can cause a time delay when trying to find the dot when outside if there is nothing immediately behind the target. If the dot is immediately on the target when outside, you are probably close enough that you wouldn't have needed sights at all.

Viridian has their own holster, but not for IWB. As for lumens, I think for personal defense, the target will be close enough that you can get away with something in the range of 70-100 lumens. Anything greater than that generally requires a battery that is too big, and anything below that has questionable value. As in the case of the X5L, the strobe mode can be brighter for disorienting the BG.

I will say that shooting with some ammo sure makes cleanup a pain after practice. WWB powder residue sticks like crazy to the laser's coated window.

4. fullautoracing

fullautoracing

Take your money and buy ammo and practice....If you want to have a light/laser on your firearm use it for home defense unless you are a Leo, then there is no real reason to have a tac light on you firearm, There are holsters you can buy for concealed but but you have a problem with shirt printing.

5. drseth

drseth

Has Anyone tried the AimSport 60Lumens Red Dot Pistol Laser or the NCstar version? I like the idea of the laser closest to the barrel, as well as the quick detach flashlight. They both are relatively inexpensive (more $ for ammo), as opposed to the other brands.

6. sbhaven

sbhaven

I use a Viridian Green Laser on a 17. Works great for daylight shooting at an outdoor range. They also have both a nylon holster and a kydex holster available as well. Viridian also has a green laser/light combo.

Unless you go with a Lasermax guide rod laser most other lasers and light systems which are rail mounted will probably cause the gun to be too large to carry IWB.

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

the laser in the recoil guide rod assy requires no special holster for carry.

8. RayB

RayB Retired Member

You don't specifically mention concealed carry, and I see that you own a G19 and G26, so I assume those are the two you'd carry concealed...

The LaserMax guide rod lasers and the Crimson Trace grips are the best options currently, for concealed carry purposes. There are exceptions, of course, as those of us in the north-country wear enough apparel to hide a G17L with 33-round magazine! ;)

For a bedside gun you have many options...

The best bang for the buck, IMO, if we're talking laser/light combos, is the TLR-2 C4.

Another way to go is the LaserMax Uni-Max rail-mounted laser and the Insight XTI Procyon or WX150 weapon light.

There are holsters for the rail mounted laser and light combos, and more are coming on line all the time. There are also holsters to fit the Uni-Max and a weapon light, if memory serves...

http://www.lasermax.com/cat_info.php?id=10

The Viridian X5L is a quality laser/light combo with a brilliant green laser, suitable for 24-hour visibility.

I've got both LaserMax guide rod and rail-mounted lasers--the latter being a LMS-UNI-G green laser, which works well with the XTI Procyon. At any rate, I've been well pleased with LaserMax products! :thumbsup:

As for weapon lights, I'd recommend and rate them as follows...

1) SureFire X300 *
    2) Insight XTI Procyon or WX150
    3) Streamlight TLR-1 C4

* The SureFire does not work with the Uni-Max laser on most Glock pistols.

One thing that bugs me about most laser/light combos is the parallax issue caused by the locations of the laser emitter and the muzzle. The LaserMax solutions effectively eliminate that consideration. Note that the Viridian set up puts the laser closer to the muzzle, or bore, too.

--Ray

9. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Untrue, a taclight is very important on a weapon it lets you identify what you are shooting at in the dark.

10. woosh

woosh

Get a TLR-2 and be covered both with a light and a laser.

11. ArmyCop

ArmyCop

Do a search for a "rear sight laser" - you might like it.

12. sig freak78

sig freak78

Guide rod lasers are sweet.

13. NbleSavage

NbleSavage

Am considering one of the guide rod Lasermax internal lasers but dayum...they are expensive...looks like the best all-around option though for keeping a G19 on the CCW side.

Good thread. TTT.

14. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

The Laserlyte rear sight lasers have been getting discounted in price lately, it is not too hard to find them around $100.00

Mixed reviews, but most have been positive concerning function.