Thinking About Getting a Home Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Virgil1920, Sep 11, 2020.

1. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Prepandemic you could find used beretta 1200fp and 1201fp, my 1200fp is former Detroit police gun, all as mentioned by trigger jerk are outstanding defense shotguns, both buckshot I can fire it so fast all 5 hulls are in the air at the same time. Smooth and fast. Inertia guns so mine does push me back if I dump the mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virgil1920 likes this.
  2. Z71bill

Z71bill

If I was recommending a home defense shotgun to a person that had not fired a shotgun very much - or not at all for many years --

I would tell them to get a semi auto not a pump.

If you - like me - started shooting a pump shotgun when you were young and used it to hunt and shoot for years - shooting a pump will be second nature - so you can't view this from your life experience. You need to see it from the perspective of a new shooter.

The trade off - will a semi auto jam VS will the person, in the heat of the moment forget to pump or short stroke it and get a double feed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSGUR8udleQ

Semi auto shotguns are reliable and are softer shooting - and shooting full power buck shot reduces the risk of a failure to feed.

When I got my wife a 20 gauge semi auto over a pump this is why - I liked it so much I bought myself a Remington Versa Max Tactical -

:couch:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    triggerjerk likes this.

3. amd65

amd65

It’s not rocket science to run a pump gun.
    I bought my first Mossberg 500 with no previous pump gun experience...it was the third firearm I bought, after a pistol and an M1 carbine.
    I have never, ever experienced a short stroke...with that Mossberg, or the one I own now, which I’ve had for about thirty years. Which stands loaded in the corner right now.
    BTW, all I ever shoot is buckshot and slug.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

How many HD shootings have you been involved in?

Really - you think shooting at the range a few times a year is the same as a HD shooting?

Glock Commander and nipperwolf like this.
  5. DrewBone

DrewBone

Seeing this thread again reminded me that I own a Valtro PM-5 12 gauge box fed pump shotgun, which was about as tactical as you could get back in the day. The darn mags for it are as rare as hens teeth and chicken lips combined, and being so lightweight it kicks like a freakin' mule...'still cool though after all these years.

[​IMG]

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

Take it to a gun show and sell it for $5,000!

Then when things cool down buy 2 shotguns you really like and still have $1,000 -$4,000 left!

Virgil1920 likes this.
  7. Rock2411

Rock2411

LE and shotgun instructor. IMHO, a shotgun is hard to beat for HD. I'd recommend a Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 (if it works) 18.5 inch barrel with bead sight. Nothing wrong with rifled sights or peep but for HD the bead is fine. Other brands will also work but if you want accessories the 500 or 870 is easier to buy for. Buy the gun and 250 rounds of target 7.5 shot and go shoot-practice.

For HD, I prefer low recoil LE 00 buck but just about any buckshot or slug will work. After that, invest in a light. The TL-racker or surefire replacement forend or attach a wml. Next, XS big dot replacement bead. Next, a velcro side saddle shell holder or two. This is the setup that works well for me.

Virgil1920 and deputy tom like this.
  8. domino1

domino1

9. Sharkey

Sharkey

Haven't scrolled thru all 5 pages so sure it has already been said and you mentioned it in your initial post. Bad time to buy anything. If you have something now, that is what I would use. I grew up where the 870 reigned supreme. I prefer the Mossberg 500 because I am a lefty and they seemed more durable. Buy 12G and just use reduced power loads if recoil is an issue. All that to say the only traditional shotgun I have now is an 1187 and that stays in the safe.

My KelTec KS7 is what I plan to use if the caca hits the fan. It's loaded with Noble mini slugs for a decent amount of firepower in a very compact package. I don't want to have to maneuver a 18" barrel around a structure unless it is a bullpup.

10. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

image004.png Picking this Nighthawk up tomorrow.

Virgil1920 and GlockPride like this.
  11. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Excellent. The ladies who are panic buying shotguns this year will be selling them off next year.

At my large PD 90% of the officers are not that proficient with shotguns (rifles either for that matter). Myself and another officer grew up duck hunting and those two are the only ones who should deploy shotguns. JMHO :cop:

Z71bill likes this.
  12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I would disagree. Shotguns are awkward unless you been hunting ducks, rabbits and upland game birds for 55+ years like me.

Shooting a shotgun once a year does not make somebody an expert and/or a safe handler. JMHO :cop:

13. Rock2411

Rock2411

Good point. I grew up hunting with a shotgun and then numerous shooting schools as LE.

14. cliff58

cliff58

Newest addition,got a light and sling coming thumbnail (21).jpg thumbnail (22).jpg

GlockPride and Virgil1920 like this.
  15. Vigilant

Vigilant

Agreed. Have an 870P in the safe to address any concerns outside the house. One 9mm hidden but easily accessible in the bedroom, and others of the same caliber hidden throughout the house including in the crapper. I can complete the combo on the safe in about 3 seconds if need be.

16. 0311INF

0311INF

A shotgun can be difficult to operate effectively for sure, but so can a pistol setup with a light. It isn't rocket science, it just takes some familiarity and training. Especially when considering a 12 gauge pump.

17. Vigilant

Vigilant

My 870P: Ditched the Speed Feed for a full length Hogue overmolded. 6 round shell cards from Browncoat Tactical. 1000 lumen Fenix w/strobe on an Elzetta mount. Oh yeah, and an XS Big Dot tritium bead. I love it. Even in broad daylight it beats a factory bead hands down. Sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Remington 870 is the ONLY home defense shotgun I have any interest in. I currently have an 1100 semi-auto, a Winchester Model 12, and a couple of double barrels, but those are for competition or hunting, not self-defense.

I have one behind my door, by my desk. I had another one in my truck until Saturday, but a guy offered me $450 for an 870 Express that originally cost me $250, so I took it. Now if guns ever ship to stores again, I want to replace it with a Remington Tac-14 Hardwood.

Vigilant likes this.
  19. Vigilant

Vigilant

Thought about a set of Wilson Combat tritium ghost rings. Then I remembered something our friend JD said years ago: Ghost rings will get you killed.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why? Are they unlucky?

fg17 likes this.