GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like mossbergs mostly for the tang safety & low price.

But I keep a semi auto mossberg 340 for all purpose it fills all rolls from HD to 3 gun, hunting, and combat ,heaven for bid

OP keep in mind to get a 3" chamber & use 3" shells .

for a #4 buck shot 3" has30 22 cal balls per shell at a muzzel vekicity of 1300 fps 11 inches in gel is typical penetration for #4 buck

yes you can go biogger like oo or oooo buck but within 50 meters #4 is a very good option.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,351 Posts
I found a hardline used , if at all, H&R Pardner 5+1 for 189 in a shop today. I go back tomorrow and I’m not to proud to dicker. Hope to get it OTD for 175. If not, it’s still only 205.
Bama, I have owned two of those, one of which is currently serving back up duty to my 1187P. I have been well satisfied with both of them. I hate to admit it, but the little H&R actually patterns better at 15 yards with #4 buckshot than the Remington.

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
Bama, I have owned two of those, one of which is currently serving back up duty to my 1187P. I have been well satisfied with both of them. I hate to admit it, but the little H&R actually patterns better at 15 yards with #4 buckshot than the Remington.
Went back today and the final cost was 191 and change out the door. I wonder if any Remington accessories fit it?

·
Gringo Viejo
28,526 Posts
Went back today and the final cost was 191 and change out the door. I wonder if any Remington accessories fit it?
I read somewhere that stocks and magazine extensions work on them but the barrel band is further away from the receiver so barrels won't interchange. I would think the sidesaddles would work on the Pardner as well. Good luck in your search. tom.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,142 Posts
Just offering an opinion, a handgun is better for home defense. It can be kept with a round in the chamber ready to go, (Glock 21) It's better in close quarters, has greater ammo capacity (Glock 21) and can be chambered in an effective cartridge (Ranger T 230 grain Plus+P) and can be fitted with a compact suppressor and still be more maneuverable in close quarters than a long gun.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Just offering an opinion, a handgun is better for home defense. It can be kept with a round in the chamber ready to go, (Glock 21) It's better in close quarters, has greater ammo capacity (Glock 21) and can be chambered in an effective cartridge (Ranger T 230 grain Plus+P) and can be fitted with a compact suppressor and still be more maneuverable in close quarters than a long gun.
Well stated. I came to the same conclusion for my home defense choice. Did some dry runs at night, clearing rooms, etc. with a Rem 870. Just found it bit to awkward. G19 fits the role nicely.

·
Daca is caca
3,483 Posts
Old police trade in 870
Resized_20200919_124047.jpeg

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
A pistol will never have the power of a shotgun.

As far as leaving it loaded, I don’t have kids; I COULD leave it loaded or with action back and shell on carrier.

No suppressor on my pistol.

As for clearing the house, repelling comes first, searching after.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
A pistol will never have the power of a shotgun.

As far as leaving it loaded, I don’t have kids; I COULD leave it loaded or with action back and shell on carrier.

No suppressor on my pistol.

As for clearing the house, repelling comes first, searching after.
I like your last sentence. :agree: The Shotgun is the best repeller, as most cops in America would tell you over the past 70 or more years.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've never owned one. My Granddad had several on our New York farm so got some experience with the long barrel 28".

Need some advice about 20 or 12 gauge and brands. Right now prices are astronomical if you can find one.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I live in a mountain environment with few neighbors.
See the comments about referring to any of the multiple other threads on the same subject. It's not like you're the first with that question.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Maverick 88 appears shoddy to me. Great price for a Home Defense shotgun that spends its time in the closet. But my shotguns get shot a lot hunting and the rigors of a cold, wet duck blind separates great quality from the second class shotguns :fred:
I have a nice Double barreled shotgun for upland game, when I have the time. I also have a Maverick 88 that I use a little.

But what really surprised me is that my son has a maverick 88 that’s taken some serious abuse in the swamps hunting raccoons and black bear behind dogs, plus grouse and waterfowl, and that gun keeps on ticking. He’s older now but he even used that gun for a few trap season on his high school trap team

·
Registered
963 Posts
I paid $400 for this plain Mossberg 500. Too bad Mossberg doesn’t sell it without the extra hunting barrel and the extra cruiser pistol grip. It probably would have reduced the price down to $300.
As is, it’s a good deal for someone who wants a shotgun for both defense and hunting. Since that I’m not a hunter or a skeet/trap shooter, the extra barrel combined with the set of chokes is a waste. As us that worthless cruiser pistol grip.

E1A06354-61B8-4BAA-80A8-20368F394D0B.jpeg
AF872E5E-38FE-43F6-A90F-48FB1EE20109.jpeg

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Please clarify how a handgun is better in close quarters. One pull of the trigger and I have 9, .30 caliber pellets heading towards the bad guy with my 12 gauge. I would say that is pretty effective! I don't have trained backup, so I don't try to clear my home. Take cover on one side of the bed with the shotgun pointed towards the bedroom door.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,142 Posts
Please clarify how a handgun is better in close quarters. One pull of the trigger and I have 9, .30 caliber pellets heading towards the bad guy with my 12 gauge. I would say that is pretty effective! I don't have trained backup, so I don't try to clear my home. Take cover on one side of the bed with the shotgun pointed towards the bedroom door.
Self defense scenarios don't always go the way we think they will.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Self defense scenarios don't always go the way we think they will.
This is true. The only advantage that I see a handgun having over the shotgun in HD is that the pistol is more likely to be on my person or closer at hand than the shotgun. If I found myself in a situation where I was armed with my handgun, I would use it, but I would be making my way towards a long gun.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts