GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned one. My Granddad had several on our New York farm so got some experience with the long barrel 28".

Need some advice about 20 or 12 gauge and brands. Right now prices are astronomical if you can find one.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I live in a mountain environment with few neighbors.

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
Might want to look in the other thread about getting a home defense shotgun. It now up to 4 pages.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Does the OP have a healthy roll? Those are going for ~$2800!

I have three 590s but my new love is the FN SLP. Nine rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

·
HEMIs, guns, and booze
810 Posts
Mossberg 500 or 590....12 gauge...never look back.
:agree:
12 gauge buckshot is an excellent HD choice. A 12 gauge pump does take some practice to master, and practicing with 12g isn't a ton of fun, but with good technique recoil is quite manageable. Hope you can track something down, pickins have been slim lately, good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the OP have a healthy roll? Those are going for ~$2800!

I have three 590s but my new love is the FN SLP. Nine rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Not that healthy! Maybe 8 to 9 hundred is the limit. I will be patient and then something good will happen!

·
Registered
42,445 Posts

·
Mr. Awesome
10,268 Posts

·
King Doofus.
5,473 Posts
I prefer Mossys over Rem 870 because the tang safety is more ambi friendly.
Good luck finding anything new right now tho.... the few available are rediculously overpriced.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Used Remington 870 12 gauge of course. 00 Buckshot is my HD load. :fred:

Reactions: azbuckeye

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
If you have the coin and such firearms are legal for you to possess in your demographic, you may also wish to consider the other class of "firearm" that utilizes shotgun ammunition, e.g., the Mossberg 590 Shockwave and the TAC-13 & 14 models from Remington...both are quite handy in size (a touch over 26" to avoid AOW status) and are much easier to wield indoors than an 18.5" barreled pump or auto shotgun with a stock.

Mossberg 590 series Shockwave pump action firearm...

Remington model 870 TAC-14 pump action firearm...

Remington V3 TAC-13 semiauto firearm...

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
+ 1. You can add a Maverick 88 to that list. Best bang for the buck.
Maverick 88 appears shoddy to me. Great price for a Home Defense shotgun that spends its time in the closet. But my shotguns get shot a lot hunting and the rigors of a cold, wet duck blind separates great quality from the second class shotguns :fred:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
As you indicated you are 9 months late. Defensive shotguns are going for crazy money now.
My advice is go search pawn and gun shops for a typical long barrel hunting shotgun and shorten the barrel to 18.5 inches ( 18 inch is minimal legal length, the 1/2 “ is for some wiggle room) and you are good to go. Even a basic “no name” shotgun is good enough until prices and supply on newer stuff gets better. You do not need to hang every available gadget on a shotgun to be effective. A simple bead sight riot gun got the job done for decades and still can of course. Good luck with finding suitable self defense ammo, as buckshot is hens teeth at the moment.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
I've never owned one. My Granddad had several on our New York farm so got some experience with the long barrel 28".

Need some advice about 20 or 12 gauge and brands. Right now prices are astronomical if you can find one.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I live in a mountain environment with few neighbors.
Save your money... and your hearing.

Get yourself a Hi Point 4595TS carbine (.45 ACP) for now. It will be more than sufficient to get the job done and would cost a fraction of a high quality shotgun right now.

With lower muzzle blast and faster follow up shots it will be handier if you ever have to use it.

You can always get the shotgun later (if you still want one) after prices have calmed down.

With the purchase of the stock-mounted mag clips, you’ll have 28 rounds of .45 ACP ready to go, and the ability to put them exactly where you want them as fast as you can pull the trigger.

You can even get one of the aftermarket 20 round mags to keep in the gun. They are reliable.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts