thinking about getting a crossbow

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Bonk, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Virginia recently changed their game laws to allow anyone, not just folks with a doctor's note, to hunt during deer season with a crossbow.

Anyone have one? I've handled a few in the store, even shot a Barnett once, but wanted to see what the gurus here think.

2. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

Well, I'm no 'guru', as I've had one for just over a month. But I have been shooting mine at least 4-5 times a week since I've gotten it. I bought a Barnett Quad 400. It is powerful enough to take down a deer, and is REALLY a lot of fun.
    Once I started playing around with it, I understood why people that have them love them so much. It's just cool. I love just target shooting with it.
    One piece of advice: if you are going to shoot it a lot, buy a cocking device of some kind. The first time I shot mine, I probably shot it 30 times. It has a 150 lb. draw, and the next day I was really feeling that in my shoulders. I went to BassPro shops and bought a rope cocking device that cuts the pull required to cock it by at least 50%.
    Plus, I was able to do a little shopping around on the net and get the whole package- the crossbow, 4 bolts, scope, and shipping for under $295!!! I thought that was a great deal!

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I know nothing about them but have been looking around. Bum shoulder is making my regular bow a pain! Here is the one I have been drooling over....

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/exocet200.htm

Bonk, Tom is a Parker dealer and could proably get you a good price on one of the Parkers...

http://www.parkerbows.com/terminator.html

I bought a Parker Compound off of him last fall and really like the bow. Good product. I know he has had trouble keeping their crossbows in stock, I'm guessing with the new law it will really up the sales.

4. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Scott, thanks for the tip, I'll check with Tom next week.

Paul at Bryansteens let me shoot a Barnett a few days ago, and I'm hooked. He said they're due to get some Parkers in soon, and might be having a sale next weekend (7/8-7/9).

5. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Good deal!

They have a sale every Sept also with 0% financing for a year. Bought my Encore that way last year and paid a little bit a month, paid it off the other day ;f Made it a bit easier since I got the gun, barrel, mounts, rings and scope all at the same time.

P.S. Tom is closed until Tuesday :( I'm on daylight now and stopped by yesterday and he was closed.