close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking About Checking These Out

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Suzy Cooke, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Suzy Cooke

Suzy Cooke Big Dawgs 1894

I've come across mention of GSSF events in a bunch of places.

I'd probably be shooting either my 17 or 26.

I'm going to have night sights put on them along with the larger mag release and the larger slide release. Other than that the Glock Doc basically polishes up the innards.

Are those sort of replacement parts permitted.

This would be my first pistol competition and I take it GSSF competitions aren't like some of the more intense ones but I'd apppreciate some info on what to expect and what sort of gear I would need?

I have 5 mags for each and if needed I can pick up a couple of more at the Big Town Gun show.

Suzy Q^c

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Suzy,

Rapid mag changes are not required in GSSF competition. You may use an extended mag release and extended slide release in the Amateur categories ONLY if they are factory Glock parts. If they are aftermarket parts, you are required to shoot in Unlimited/Masters Category. Any sights of similar design are permited, but no express , ghost ring or fiber optics in the Amateur categories. GSSF is designed for stock Glock competition. My GSSF pistol has been a stock G19 with Decal Grip and Heinie sights, but I will be switching to a G37 setup the very same way.

Five mags is fine. Polishing is fine. A factory 3.5# connector is fine. You may use a Pearce extended mag base with your G26, but not a Sherer.

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Five mags is enough. On the Five to Glock and Glock M there are only three strings of fire, so you only need three mags on those and on the plates there are four strings of fire so you only need four mags for that one. Of course if a competitor only has two mags that's fine to, the RO's will give you enough time to load up new mags. I personally use eight mags because I usually shoot two categories, that way I don't have to worry about topping off mags between strings of fire.

As for other gear, that's kind of an individual thing. I'm a minimalist. I just bring a range bag with my eight mags and 100 rounds per category plus one extra box just in case I need a reshoot or two, my eye and ear protection, a couple bottles of water and a poncho in case it rains. Other folks bring more. Some guys bring a chair to sit on and I've seen range bags big enough to make my back hurt.

What to expect, well GSSF matches are pretty low pressure, nobody will boo or hiss at you or anything like that, how well you shoot really doesn't matter. So don't worry about missing the tragets and killing dirt, nobody cares as long as you're safe.

If you have any questions about anything just ask someone from GSSF or an RO, and they'll tell ya what you need to know. Registration is a breeze and everybody from GSSF is easy to deal with.

I'd say about 99% of the RO's are good people who will do everything they can to make your match experience an enjoyable one. I've only run into one RO that was unpleasant, but I think he was just having a bad day.

If you're still not convinced and wanna know more, click HERE

Enjoy your first match!

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

5 mags is ideal for a match. You can move to any stage and have your mags ready with a fifth one to load your first round. You can have 11 in the pistol (except major sub, it's 7) so you pop in your stripper mag, load a round then change to your full mag and shoot the stage. Repeat as necessary. ;f

5. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Then there are those extremist types that show up with 16 magazines to shoot four GLOCK the plates catagories in a row.

Did that at Richmond when the plates were not busy and again in Orlando this year. The RO's were wondering if I had a bottomless range bag! ;f

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I thought it was two then someone elses turn.

You mean no one else was waiting?

7. Suzy Cooke

Well I learned Saturday that my G17 had a New York trigger. I had the Glock Doc replace that at the Mesquite Big Town Gun Show Sunday as well as polish up the innards and replace the mag release and slide release.

He said that if you are over 50 you can use the fiber optic sights without getting kicked up to the modified guns catagory.

I'm getting real stoked on doing this. Every one is telling me that I'll have a ball at it and it's a low pressure entry into the world of competive shooting.

Suzy Q

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

at least when I asked post and notch or modified.

But the other part is correct it is low pressure

And You will have a ball.

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

SUZY COOKE:"He said that if you are over 50 you can use the fiber optic sights without getting kicked up to the modified guns catagory"

Whoever told you this if he was referring to GSSF Outdoor Matches doesn't know what he is talking about. The use of "Fiber Optics" has nothing to do with your age. Fiber Optic Sights are only allowed in Master Unlimited in GSSF Outdoor Matches, period. I am 62 and I cannot use them except in Master Unlimited. They are not what they are cracked up to be anyway. The money could be better spent on practice ammo.

10. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Yes no one was waiting. I usually shoot the GSSF matches on Sunday and the afternoons are usually not busy, no waiting at all. I have shot 4 in a row several times. :)

Once at Statesville on a Sunday afternoon the Five to GLOCK was set up with 5 or 6 ranges in a row and each competitior would shoot then the next line would shoot. All would score the targets after the last person shot. I was able to stage three magazines and a different pistol for each catagory on three lanes and shoot one after the other, move down a lane and shoot again.

Sundays are the best kept secret of GSSF! :)

11. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

SuzieQ, it looks like you got all of your questions answered above. And the response about the fiber optic not being allowed except for Master/Unlimited Class is correct. I just want to say, come on out, you will definatly have a lot of fun. Lots of good people at every match I've atended and that has been a few. You won't regret giving it a try, in fact I'd bet you become hooked...

12. Suzy Cooke

13. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Post and notch sights including night sights are legal. Your friend can darken her fiber optic and can use it. They just can't glow! ;f In AmCiv you qualify for the special recognition awards for adult female. The senior recognition award starts at 55.

In the catagories other than AmCiv and AmGuardian it's just a 1,2,3 payout and no special recognition awards. Course of fire is the same except for Major Sub (the 36 class, lower round count there). I hope this answers your question.

14. Suzy Cooke