Thinking about buying a bullet proof vest

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jayk2k3, Feb 10, 2010.

1. jayk2k3

jayk2k3

Thinking about buying a bullet proof vest. What are some good name brand ones and suggestion?

2. drizzle

drizzle

In some states it's illegal, if it's not, why would you need one? Planning on doing ridealongs with the local raid team?

3. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

I'm not interested in a vest but I am curious... Why the hell is that illegal? I can carry 5 pistols but it's illegal to own a vest?

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Obviously to protect himself from bad guys. Isn't that one of the main reasons why the 90,000 of us on GT have guns?

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

It would be illegal because the cops wouldn't want you to be protected from THEIR bullets.

I don't think it is illegal to own in NY, unless you are robbing/murdering with one

6. mteagle1

mteagle1

This depends upon the state that you are in. And just because a state allows a gun permit doesn't mean a county will issue it. Look at Las Angeles Co, Diane Finstein can have one but most citizens can't.

7. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

What would the use of it be for? Everyday wearing?

8. -gunut-

-gunut-

Having a vest at home is no more crazy than having a home defense gun IMO

As for legalities, I know that in my state it is illegal for felons to have body armor. I bet this is the case in most states. I am sure the states that outlaw it all together are probably the states with stringent gun laws.

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I have a vest, but only because I ran across it at a milsurp type store for an unbelieveable price. It was a "why not" type thing. I'd not be terribly interested in paying "going rate" for one.

10. mteagle1

mteagle1

They are bullet resistant not bullet proof depending on caliber and construction. Go to the police department and discuss this with them so the forum is not providing you with illegal information.

11. KK40384

KK40384

I have a level 2 from Second Chance Body Armor. I've been pretty happy with it. It conceals nicely under a polo or button up. Only downside to is that it gets super hot during the summer.

12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Live in a really bad hood?

With my job, I have had to wear a vest for over 16 hours at a time. Not much fun in the winter, and NO fun in the summer Texas heat.....

:cool:

13. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Some states have mucked up libetarded laws! :steamed:

14. mesteve2

mesteve2

They last for 5 years good ones cost $500 +
    Plus lots of time to clean each day when you take it off.
    Wore one the first 5 years as cop then next 16+ years didn't replace it.
    IF bad guy see it on you he will just shoot you in the head.

Save your money and get a Glock .45 gap.

15. -gunut-

-gunut-

Why go to the police department and risk getting incorrect information? Better to just look up the statute for your state.

16. douggmc

douggmc

I'm pretty surprised any of us would have the audacity to use the "why would you need that?" argument so frequently used by our foes in the gun control lobby.

Why do you need a gun? Do you have bad intentions?

17. mdfd

mdfd

I ran across this article on the net. It does pose a perspective that wearing body armor has the potential to aggravate a questionable shoot during a self-defense situation. While wearing body armor itself may not be illegal, wearing it during the act of something illegal (whether perceived or proven) may add to the charges (i.e. another felony)... Just reporting the news....

*****Begin transmission******
    By Matt Williams
    RRSTAR.COM
    Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 01:05 AM
    ROCKFORD — Bulletproof vests are common among law enforcement, military and even security personnel.

But when an Auburn High School student was arrested last week and charged as an adult with possessing a gun at school, he was also charged with wearing a bulletproof vest.

Police arrested Sanford Marzette, 16, on gun charges and a rare charge of illegal possession of body armor. A 14-year-old, who police say is Marzette’s brother, also was charged as a juvenile the same day for carrying a loaded gun on Auburn’s Freshman Campus.

‘It’s what you do with it’
    Though owning and wearing a bulletproof vest are not illegal, Winnebago County State’s Attorney Joe Bruscato said, when one is worn during certain circumstances, charges can be filed.

“It’s what you do with it that creates a problem under the law,” Bruscato said.

If a person is illegally carrying a dangerous weapon and also is in possession of body armor, he said, it could be an aggravating factor considered at sentencing if the person is convicted.

Bruscato could not divulge any details of the case and would not say what kind of bulletproof vest was worn or where it might have been obtained.

Local retailers say it is unlikely it was purchased here.

No local market for armor
    Eric Sonnenberg, owner of Forest City Firearms, 137 N. Chicago Ave., said he has seen no demand for bulletproof vests or any other type of body armor in his six years in business.

“I don’t think there is much of a market for it unless you are police or military,” Sonnenberg said. “I certainly don’t stock them, but I can special-order them.”

Sonnenberg’s clients consist of hunters and people purchasing a firearm for home defense.

“I have never heard of a hunter wearing a bulletproof vest,” he said. “They are not afraid the game is going to shoot back at them.”

‘Lifesaving protection’
    Nick Taylor, manager at bulletproofme.com in Austin, Texas, said his company legally sells bulletproof vests to civilians all over the country.

“There are a lot of people who are in civilian occupations who would use one that you wouldn’t think of,” Taylor said.

He said taxi drivers, victims of stalking, lawyers, judges and high-profile executives may have reasons to wear body armor.

“We have a wide variety of folks who have a need for protection,” Taylor said. “We have been amazed over the years of all the situations people are in.”

Taylor said vests are not sold to convicted felons or minors, and a background check is conducted on all purchasers. Vests are sold for anywhere from $200 to $600, he said.

Taylor said there is a risk that body armor could get into the wrong hands, but that wouldn’t be different from guns or ammunition.

“Most people realize any piece of technology can be used for good or bad,” he said. “People should have access to lifesaving protection.”

Marzette is being held on $150,000 bond. His arraignment has been set for Jan. 19 in front of Judge Joseph McGraw.

Marzette’s brother is still in the juvenile court system, Bruscato said.

Reach staff writer Matt Williams at [email protected]

*****End transmission******

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  18. AFshooter

AFshooter

It is legal for all law abiding citizens to own body armor in the United States.
    The state of Connecticut has some restrictions on purchasing armor.

More from Wiki:

United States law restricts possession of body armor for convicted violent felons. Many U.S. states also have penalties for possession or use of body armor by felons. In other states, such as Kentucky, possession is not prohibited, but probation or parole is denied for a person convicted of certain violent crimes while wearing body armor and carrying a deadly weapon.

I can't speak for anyone's specific need for armor, but I'm with douggmc on this one. I own some, but I don't wear it on a daily basis. More of a SHTF/WROL thing.

19. Quack

Quack Rent this space

20. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Mas Ayoob strongly recommends having a vest, sidearm, flashlight, etc close to your bed, for when SHTF situations arise.

An aside: I hope to find a tailor's mannequin and get the stuffing for the military vest cover I got last year. It will be a the head of my bed with a holster and ammo pouches attached.