Thinking about buying a 2002 jeep wrangler...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Nov 7, 2019.

1. BSA70

BSA70

Anyone out there own one of these older jeeps. It appears to be in great shap, 163k miles, asking $6500. No rust or mechanical issues. Any advise before I go look? Does anyone connect a reader to the computer prior to buying a used vehicle. This will be a 3rd fun vehicle

2. brutusbeefcake

brutusbeefcake

I have a 2000 wrangler with 180,000 on the clock. It has the 4.0 liter straight six engine which uses no oil between changes. It has a 3 speed auto transmission with no overdrive so at 55 mph it tachs at 2200 rpm, so it doesn't do real well at gas mileage. 15-16 mpg. But mechanically it has been a good machine.

treg and Jringo8769 like this.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

Check for cracked exhaust header.

arkdweller22 and Jringo8769 like this.
  4. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

I know you said it didn't have any rust but make sure you look at every inch of the frame. They are prone to rust and can fall apart rather easily if not addressed.

Jringo8769 and Glock1963 like this.
  5. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I’ve heard Jeeps are not what they used to be. Would avoid buying one not under warranty. YMMV

6. PatinAz

PatinAz

That's a steal here in the southwest, even if its half junked out. Wranglers have stupid resale around here.

7. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Fabulous!!!!

JEEP
    Just Empty Every Pocket!

Ever since Chrysler acquired Jeep, I had no interest in getting one. Chrysler sucks, therefore Jeeps must suck.

Then a buddy took me out 'wheeling in his a month or so ago. 2 days later I bought one - a 2017 Rubicon with 9,000 miles. Jeez, I had thought motorcycles were expensive to accessorize.

But here it is - 3 weeks and $10K in accessories later.

75362283_10218001160913187_2757714551330832384_n.jpg

(This was what I started with - below).

74357796_10217853125412392_3387047742617419776_n.jpg

Get it! You'll love it! Just be prepared to be 'Jeep Poor.'

8. PatinAz

PatinAz

Wife wanted a jeep after a long time of owning VWs. Hers and mine. 20191022_210859.jpg

deputy tom, Jringo8769 and BGDaddy like this.
  9. B C

B C

Someone else mentioned the high resale value and how it's hard to find solid older projects thanks to Cash for Clunkers.

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

D55F9EED-2F7A-4CED-B660-5B00CE40CC27.jpeg

2000. Daily driver. No major issues, just normal maintenance. About 150K miles. Runs great. Getting rusty but salt on the roads here is brutal on cars. I hope to drive it as long as I can drive.

Clutch, tie rods, top, radiator. Nothing else replaced.

deputy tom, treg, Berto and 1 other person like this.
  11. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Every time a Jeep product came into the shop - usually on a tow truck - everybody would go for a long lunch. Not one of us wanted to work on them because until you open the hood, you don't know if you are gonna have problems with the electrical system if it might be one of the following: Autolite - or - Prestolite - or- FOMOCO - or - Delco Remy - or Leece Nevelle - or Lucas (The Master Of Darkness) .....

If it had the automatic transmission, did it have a Borg Warner - or - a Mopar 904 "Baby Torqueflite" with the Renault un-rebuildable and very $pend-y torque convertor - or a THM-200C with/without Lock Up - or if it had something made in France.

The 4.0L engine was pretty bulletproof unless you ran some of Arnie Palmer's favorite oil in it. The manifold would prolly be cracked and would fall apart when you did any repairs that required taking it off. Customers do NOT understand that you cannot put a two or three piece manifold back on their engine.

Quite a few transfer cases had straight cut gears and if the customer didn't like the sound, you could sell them a helix-set and just keep their old gears for your own transfer case when you needed a rebuild of your own unit. I did that a few times and still have 4 or 5 of them in stock "just-in-case" I need them someday for my K5.

The frames - on Jeeps from climates where it snows and the highway department uses salt to clear the roads - will eat the "frame'" outta the Jeep in just a few seasons - not to mention the firewall support-to-frame-doglegs where they rot out in the voids that hold salt water for months and just keep on a-eating.

For cheap - (yea I have to tell the truth here) - the front differential runs backwards in the 4WD versions. Jeep is too cheap to build a differential that rotates backwards - NO! since that would mean they'd have to retool and teach their machinist to build gears like every other 4WD.

My first Jeep front axle job caught me by the shorts when I found that they just run the ring and pinion backwards - on the retard side of the gearset. They take a rear differential and just put it in the front and run it backwards.

What pattern should I use to get the gears in the right position to not only live, but not destroy each other - running on the back side of the gears which is not a powerful position at all?

That side of the gears are only used when you take your foot off the throttle and NOT A POWER SIDE!

Doh! So-o-o ---> I just set it up like a regular-driven-rear-type differential gear pattern and tried it out. It worked - but MyGawd - that's some really poor design quality there!

Where else is there backwardes or cheap engineering like this on a Jeep? Your guess is as good as mine.

Any more - Jeep is just a decal on the hood that makes a declaration for junk and poor quality - PLUS they seem to raid other manufacturers' parts departments at night and try to make a Jeep outta the parts they can scavenge.

CHEAP and JEEP are homonyms - right?

Just sayin'................ but I'd rather have a Lada.

lada-936.jpg

With a French-slash-Russian car, you KNOW you've got junk from the get-go and have no aspirations of greatness.

LINK: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/behind-scenes-ladas-russian-headquarters

OGW and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  12. BSA70

BSA70

BGDaddy likes this.
  13. BSA70

BSA70

how do you check

14. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Run your bare fingers on the manifold with the engine running.

mdlott, OGW, speedway and 1 other person like this.
  15. rj1939

rj1939

When you buy a Jeep, you are just buying a VIN number..............everything else will be changed.

16. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I just don’t understand all the hate for Jeeps - envy maybe?
    I had 1987 Wrangler, the first year of production. It’s only option was the 6 cylinder engine, a real bare bones vehicle. I drive it daily for a long time then as an extra vehicle. I maintained it well and it was pretty much trouble free.
    In July I purchased a 2019 Wrangler and am really enjoying it.
    Wranglers have the highest resale value of any car so they musypt be doing something right.
    I suggest you look the 2002 over real good and take it for a long test ride, a little off road if possible. If everything checks out, go for it.

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

Drive it, listen for the 'tickticktick', they supposedly corrected the problem in 2003 IIRC.

18. ray9898

ray9898

LOL.....envy?

alwaysshootin likes this.
  19. PeterG

PeterG

My 04 X has 193,000 tub is rusted bad, other than replacing a water pump, starter and caliper it’s been general maintenance for 15 years.

I’m looking for one more Wrangler to finish my life with but to be honest the used market pricing is crazy.

my frame is solid and I’m thinking a new tub and fenders would be a wiser investment than an overpriced used beater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Johnix

Johnix

Been driving my 02 daily for the last 15 years. Replaced rear main seal and clutch. Only 110,000 miles on it. Been pretty much trouble free.