Thinking about associates degree/trade school at 30, what jobs are hiring these days?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FCastle88, Oct 17, 2015.

1. FCastle88

FCastle88

So basically the usual story, had no idea what I wanted to do after graduating high school, and at the time a lot of college grads couldn't find jobs anyway. So figured I'd find a job and save up some money for a couple years while I figured things out. Ended up getting a decent paying factory job and didn't want to give up a steady job to go to school and quite possibly not make much more than I do now. Make around $50K/year, but unfortunately I'm also stuck on 3rd shift unless I take a significant pay cut, and working 45-55+ hours a week. Now that I'm closing in on 30 I've realized I don't know how much longer I can take 3rd shift and being bored out of my mind all the time. I've saved up a decent amount of money and can transfer to a weekend or part-time position while I take classes and make enough to cover most of my bills. However I'm still not sure what I should go to school for. Mostly looking at an associates degree, trade school, or apprenticeship. Don't really have the time or money for a bachelor's degree. So what degrees/ trades are a good choice these days?

2. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I feel your pain. I am nearing 40 and stuck on third shift. It is slowly killing me. I tried saving for college and tried doing it online but don't have the funds. I wish you the best of luck and hope you move on to better things.

I hear HVAC guys make good money and they usually have a degree program at a good community college. But that is just hearsay around my parts.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

Where i live, midwest, pipefitters, welders, electritians, probably the most sought after

nikerret likes this.
  4. dennis3dflyer

dennis3dflyer

Nursing , Respiratory Therapy, and others are trying to go only Bachelors Degree for starting positions. Which is wrong in my opinion. Where years ago you could do in 14 months Vocational School and still be a great skilled worker. In Respiratory 14 months training I scored in the top 3 percent nationally and with nursing the top percent that they analyse nationally with just 2 years training.

5. FCastle88

FCastle88

I have been thinking about welding, elevator repair, or maybe electrician. Though I've been told the tests to get a union apprenticeship for them are pretty difficult if you don't already have some mechanical knowledge/experience. And non-union jobs usually want you to have have at least some experience. Also a few welders I know said there's a lot of people trying to get apprenticeships and a shortage of experienced welders to teach them.

6. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Try to get into something where you can supplement your income on the side. I got into a field where anything I do on the side, is always above board with W9 and 1099. IOW, Obama gets his cut, and that's going to get much worse.

7. P-Ratt

P-Ratt Got GLOCK?

Dental Hygiene is also associates degree material with very flexible hours, full, part-time, or temp work, benefits are typical, is a field that has job security, and can go anywhere and get work.

8. FCastle88

FCastle88

A nursing job in a hospital could be interesting, though as you said there doesn't seem to be much of a job market for nurses without a bachelor's anymore. Radiology Tech seems to be on all the "best jobs with an associates degree" lists but seems like most in the field say there's already far more people graduating from programs than there are jobs.

The only careers I've thought really seemed interesting are law enforcement and corrections, but seems like these days if you weren't in the military good luck.

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Most of the LEOs being hired right now are NOT prior military. In some parts of the country Agencies are begging for people.

It is a buyers market for law enforcement. You still have to get past all the requirements and survive the academy but if you seriously want to be a cop and your background is good, you can find jobs.

wprebeck and TBO like this.
  10. mj9mm

mj9mm

Yes it is a competitive field. Tech school classes could help

11. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Wielders is way to go,In heavy demand in dock yards, Navy dock yards, steel prefab. you name it. Some jobs are approaching 100k yearly.
    Just FYI if you go into aviation,the money is at manufactures. So you'll be moving to SoCal,Seattle, KC,KS. or the Carolinas. Sure you can get a job at some FBO hanger. Your looking at 25-35k starting. To me aviation industry is depressed.
    The trades are always needed, electrical,plumbing,HVAC you can score a job as needed. Pay is negotiable.

12. dennis3dflyer

dennis3dflyer

Dental Hygiene is probably the most pay for the least education job going now. Might still be some prejudice against men in the field. I vote here or AC

Welding has always been good but working conditions are terrible and hurt the eyes and lungs if you dont use safety equipment and sometimes its too hard to use it.

13. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I was told about respiratory therapy years ago by a retired nurse. That or something in the IT field.

14. Csv

Csv

Went into a welding program after high school, it was fun and a great skill to have. I didn't stay in the welding field for to long because I meet, what would turn out to be, my wife and didn't want to travel around for the great money.

What a lot of jobs turn out to be are a decent wage, but working 10-12 hour days 6-7 days a week, to make the big salaries. Also usually not permanent jobs, a lot of shut down work.

mrmedina likes this.
  15. Anicius Julianus

Anicius Julianus

Air Traffic Controller = BIG BUCKS!

16. BradD

BradD

Computer Aided Drafting? There are excellent jobs available. It also has the advantage of being physically easy, so one could do it for decades.

At my last job in an engineering firm, there were quite a few experienced CAD operators who had moved into more of a "designer" type of position. They helped sketch details, supervise other drafters, and coordinate with other disciplines. I'm sure they were making quite a bit more money than a typical drafter, and the work is interesting and challenging.

17. briarpatch

briarpatch

Electrician, Hvac, Plumber etc. but dont just stop with being an electrician, Havac ect. continue on until you have your contractors licenses. Which is not hard to get and you will have all the side work you can stand and you pick what you want and get as big as you want.

18. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

CAD designer requires very little school. Sign up for a community college class. Buy a student version of solidworks after enrolling for $50.

Learn the program. Do something fun like reverse engineer an AR on CAD to learn.

And take a class on GD&T. The designers that know this are much more valuable.

19. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Also look at being machinist. They are still in demand and good machinists who can make it to work everyday are paid well.

20. screwedby

screwedby

If I was starting over, and knew what I know now - school teacher.

They make better money than many people claim if you teach in the right areas (Alaska?). Some states will pay for your college if you teach for them for a certain period of time. 6 years comes to mind. In Alaska it would be a real adventure. They may send you anywhere.

And, you get the summers off. Go mountain climbing or smoke jumping or commercial fishing or whatever.

Heck, I'm retired and it sounds good to me.

If you would like to make lots of money for doing virtually no work, have ungodly amounts of power over others, need absolutely no training or education, be accountable to no one, and party all the time, run for office!

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

janice6 likes this.