Thinking About Adopting...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KiloBravo, Oct 20, 2010.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

A DOGGY!!!!! :supergrin:

Some time back, I stated that I was thinking about getting a GSD puppy. I still am a HUGE fan of that particular breed. However, I got to thinking there are a ton of dogs out there that need loving homes. The fiance and I went a while back to the local PAWS. I fell in love with a pitbull named Rudolph. They think he might possibly also have a small amount of American Bulldog in him as well. He is two years old, and is great with people and children, which I was able to confirm for myself when visiting last time.

Before I say anything else, I was raised around Dobermans. I also had a rather large hand in training most of them and crate training, etc. I would not be a new dog owner. I just have not had one of my own with the fiance since we got together. I have no problem being the Alpha male over a dog or otherwise if that is what is necessary.

I want to ask a question to any of those that have owned or currently own a pitbull. How hard is it to buy a house and insurance with that breed of dog? Or, am I overthinking this and it is simply a non issue? That is the only thing that is hanging me up a little bit. We rent now, and the landlords have already OK'd us getting one in a previously very strict no dog house. However, we eventually want to own our own home. I also am aware that because of the bad rep these dogs get, more and more areas are outlawing owning them. I think that is total BS. :steamed: Any breed can be mean and nasty. It is all about how they are raised.

I am sorry for the scattered post. I am just very excited and wanted to get some more input from those who might have a pit. I have done my own research, and determined the little lady and myself would be quite happy with this breed.

Any constructive ideas/suggestions are welcomed. :wavey:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Get a Yorkie. They come with guns.

3. KiloBravo

:rofl:I think that would make a fine snack for the breed I am looking at getting. :whistling:

4. NAC

NAC

Buying a house is no issue. Some insurance companies won't cover you others will with an increased premium. What you should be more concerned with is if your specific county, city, municipality has breed specific legislation, which is a crock by the way. There are a lot of cities out there that ban this breed.

By the way, I think APBT are one of if not the best breed. They are loyal, friendly, protective, and easily trainable as well as having one of the fewest rates of any breed specific disease process. Mainly because they are all mutts and the recessive traits don't have the chance to express like in pure breeds.

5. Harvick

Harvick

Well.... My agent with Farmers didn't want to know I had a Rott. Allstate said " Lets not talk about your dog".

It's a liability now days.... good luck to ya.

6. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I just gave away my two GSD's! I had to find the "right" owner for them. I am excited you're gonna get a pit bull. I think with the right owner, they make great pets.

Don't forget....pics please! :wavey:

7. KiloBravo

Wow...Thanks for the support everybody! I promise to post pics once we finally get the new member of the family. Until then, here is a link to the exact dog we are looking at:

http://www.centrecountypaws.org/dogs/Dogs2.cfm?ID=1961

I am sooo happy to be hopefully getting one soon. I have wanted one since we moved in together to help protect her when I am not home.

8. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko

9. Harvick

Harvick

No worries Deerman.... I've been holdin' down the fort for ya. :tongueout:

10. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

11. KiloBravo

:rofl:TOUCHE!!! :supergrin:

12. KiloBravo

VERY adorable! Pictures like that are just making the waiting even worse! :embarassed:

13. KiloBravo

haha, yeah...those fairy ears or w/e they are sure do sissify a "mean nasty" dog rather quickly, huh? :supergrin:

14. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

congrats . i have owned hua huas all my life , but later in life our next will be a big dog . my next pup will be a rhodesian ridgeback .

as far as pitbulls , i wont muttle up your thread except to say they are not for us .

but good luck

15. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I am excited for you! :banana:

16. KiloBravo

I appreciate and respect your decision, and I honestly appreciate the input. :wavey:

I am not totally sold on any one particular breed per say. I am def. a big dog lover though, and want something substancial that will be lovable and loyal towards anybody I want him to be so towards. From my reading, pitbulls fit that bill very nicely. GSD's are outstanding as well. Sadly though, there are none of them, nor any mix breeds with shepard in them that are as young as I would like them to be to adopt.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  17. KiloBravo

Thank you! I fired off an email to the shelter earlier this evening. I am just waiting to hear back hopefully by this weekend.

18. fetep

fetep

I currently own an APBT, Buddy is a great dog! Loves my daughters! Prepare yourself for the response you will get get for bringing this dog into your home. People are VERY misinformed about this breed, mostly due to the media, I have known many many pits and own my second now, it's always the same thing, why did you get a "PITBULL" they are dangerous, unpredictable, attack dogs. . whatever, my dog is none of those things, he is a loving, curious, energetic dork! He runs with me, plays with my girls, loves my family and any other person that will give him 2 seconds of their time! On the other hand stay away from dog parks, he won't start a fight, but he will finish it every time! He will not back down from a fight, the key is not putting him in a situation that could get him hurt or in trouble. People relate these dogs to gangsters and thugs, I am neither! I am middle income, semi- professional and live in a private neighborhood. My neighbors were a bit concerned when i introduced him to them, he is now very much accepted by them due to a little time with him and some facts given by me. I have several books regarding pitbulls that I would be glad to share with you if you'd like to do a bit of research:) Be good to your new dog and be a great ambassador for the breed, they need it!!!

19. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

My dog may not be as intimidating as the breeds you like but......

HE HAS A MACHINE GUN!

[​IMG]

20. KiloBravo

I appreciate the advice and kind words very much. Thank you for that. I know I am generalizing when I call them a "pitbull" since so many different breeds are slammed together into that same category. I think it is OK though, so long as I am not trash talking them. They seem like big babies as long as they are raised right and are put around lots of different people to love them.

I kind of put them into the same class as guns...The media is quick to label both "objects" killers, and think they will go off on a killing spree all on their own without any human intervention. The fact is, both need care and attention when being handled. The owner of said "objects" and that person's intent is what will determine what result comes of it.