close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking about a Smartphone via Verizon?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WEATHERBY460, Dec 21, 2012.

1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

My contract is up and basic phones are not very cool anymore apperently. The local best buy only had 2 to choose from. For $30 more a month I can get a smartphone. (plus the cost of the phone) How do you like the smartphone, and what do you do with yours? Thanks

2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I use my iPhone all the time. Listen to podcasts and music on it when I drive. Use it as a GPS when going somewhere I don't know. Use it as an always on me camera. The flash for the camera doubles as a flashlight which has been handy a few times. Use it as an alarm clock and take notes with it, make a grocery list, set a reminder for anything I might forget etc. Also, check my email, pay bills, etc.

3. cesaros

cesaros

I like verizons service, but its $$$. $147 for two lines, and thats with a government (mil) discount applied.

I use my droid for everything though...it really pays for itself if you travel alot and need a GPS.

My 'Droid Incredible' is pretty old now, but the new Droid phones are really impressive...basically a desktop computer in your hand...and I think you can still make calls on them.

4. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

i love mine. samsung stratosphere. i don't shop with it. my better half has one.she uses it to get email from work, etc. my daughter is the internet junkie with hers.

we are all textaholics.

the talk to text feature is honestly iffy told my wife i love her. it came out that i marvin her.

battery life will not be what you are used to. i will bet on that.

5. drumr04

drumr04

I use mine for everything. I will admit its not for everyone but if you need or want to have access to the internet all the time its great. I have a Droid RAZR Maxx with Verizon and I am grandfathered into unlimited data. I stay on wifi as much as possible but I still use approx 3Gb a month.

6. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Buy the Samsung Galaxys3 it is the current Best phone available.

samsung.com/galaxys3

7. VinnieG

VinnieG

Love my I phone. Ain't turned my computer on since I bought the phone. I do everything on it

8. sputnik767

sputnik767

This.

As to what I do with mine, "everything" sums it up nicely. But to break it down, just a few things are:

Internet, tethering my 3G/LTE connection to laptop/tablet/PC, camera (use it more than my DSLR and pics are excellent), video camera, super nintendo emulator (output to TV), can likewise stream Netflix, youtube, anything to a TV, OBDII scanner/computer via a bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro app, streaming pandora over bluetooth my my car/home stereo, navigation, transit directions (live in NYC after all), real-time traffic (live in NYC after all), paying for stuff using the NFC chip w/o having to pull out my wallet, skype. And that does not include the stuff I use for work (a smartphone is pretty much mandatory in my field).

Just keep in mind, this is still a phone, and will not replace a laptop, desktop, or anything else, despite what some claim. But it will certainly supplement. For example, I can easily go on Amazon and buy whatever I need from my phone, if I hold it sideways. The screen is plenty big enough and the touch interface is very precise. And I am talking about the full amazon site, not the mobile one. However, given the choice, I will always choose my desktop or laptop for online shopping.

Whatever you decide, make sure you buy a high end phone if you go that route. That means no free Android phones. Keep it to the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, or another high end device. But if you want my recommendation, the S3 is the best Android phone currently on the market, and I could easily make the claim that it is the overall best phone on the market. I have had more than a few iPhone 5 owners tell me that they should have gone with the S3, after they asked to play with my phone.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I use mine for navigation, photos, music, forums, brief e-mails and Facebook. I'm going to have to buy my next phone outright to keep my unlimited data plan. Most likely I'll buy a good used 4G device like the Razr Maxx off of eBay for $300 or so but for what the current data plans run vs how much data I use, the unsubsidized phone will end up paying for itself.

If the area you live in has poor coverage from Sprint, Verizon is a great choice as they usually have the best coverage and the most reliable network however they no longer have unlimited data and the tiered plans they offer are expensive as hell. Sprint still has the best deal on data. http://www.sprint.com/landings/compare/index.html

10. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

I didn't really need one but you almost don't have that option anymore. I went with the Casio Commando because it's supposed to be the most durable one on the market. I am hell on phones and this thing can take a beating. They are built to milspecs and have all sorts of cool outdoorsy things on them. Mine gets dropped twice a day and it went though the washing machine in my pocket once and came out fine. It's advertised as being water resistant and there are YouTube videos of people put theirs in water to test it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDtI53jvYo"]Casio G'zOne Commando Torture Tests - YouTube[/ame]

The downsides are it's only 3G and it's not the fastest most powerful super computer on the market. I don't live and die by all that stuff so it's a non issue for me. I can check my emails, surf GT and do a quick google search so it does everything I need it to do. There is also a 2-3 second delay I've noticed when answering calls, probably could be an issue for some but I've got used to waiting a couple of secs before saying anything when I answer.

11. boomhower

boomhower

I love my iPhone. I use it daily and it's turned intoy main computing device. Music, podcasts, GPS, Internet, etc. Well worth the cost to me.

12. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Until you upgrade. Then you're forced off of it. That's the one thing about Verizon that pissed me off. They crapped on their current customers already grandfathered in. If they had just left that alone, I would have no complaints about them.

13. Restless28

Restless28

We love our iPhones. I have a 4s, and the wife and kids have the 4.

We're Verizon customers, and my phone and my wife's are under the grandfathered unlimited plan. We love Verizon.

I've said it before. The smart phone is the best invention in the last 100 years. It's a phone/watch/computer/music player/camera in the palm of your hand.

The iPhone simply does it better and is more accessible for the masses.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I switched from Verizon to AT&T and got an iphone. Best move since getting a cell phone. What do I do with it? Yesterday, while waiting for my wife outside a store, I played chess on mine, while listening to the music on it through the car's sttereo (which it also controls remotely) and sent my wife a text and looked up some stuff on Google, checked my Ebay account and checked my bank account. I live in a county where my bank has no branches, so when my wife gets a check from teaching exercise classes, I use my phone to deposit it to my bank. Every morning, my phone tells me how much money is in my account, deposits and whatever else I want to know. Sometimes I just read a book on it - during reserve duty, I also pull up Army field manuals to check things (like confirming a sergeant major was right to chew me out for marching troops at port arms, when they had slings on their rifles). Other than that? Well, I have an electronic guitar tuner in it and, if I didn't already have a $150 shot timer, I could download one for my phone, along with a baliistics computer for long range rifle shots. And I take pictures of my CCW permit, hunting license and insurance cards and keep them on the phone, just in case I forget them some time.

What else do I need? I am looking for a pdf service manual for my motorcycle, so I always have one in case of emergencies.

BTW, I have been issued 2 blackberries by the government and my wife had 1, 3 different models - avoid them like the plague. They suck.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  15. Restless28

Restless28

This is why the iPhone is brilliant.

16. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

im scared that the verizon 1gb wont be enough...thoughts?

17. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

There is an advantage to buying an IPhone 4S running 5.1.1 software and that is the ability to jailbreak it. There is currently no Jailbreak for the IPhone 5 or any IPhone running 6.0.

I only keep about 1000 songs on my phone, but I have about 5000 on Audiogalaxy. I currently have 219 applications installed. I like the ability to tweak my phone and get apps that most others can't.

If you like to tinker, check this out.

http://dailyiphoneblog.com/category/jailbreak-apps/

18. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape CLM

iPhone 5 that is rarely out of arms's reach. Lots of phone calls and texting plus...

Work
    Email
    Calendar
    Contacts
    To Do
    Submit expense reports (Concur)
    Follow GoToMeetings when traveling

Personal
    Email
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Reminders
    Grocery list shared with my wife
    Music
    Netflix streaming
    Alarm clock
    Check weather
    Online banking
    GPS navigation
    Track workouts
    Travel management (United, Flight Track Pro, Tripit)
    Read/post to GlockTalk
    Facebook
    Amazon shopping
    Camera/video
    Follow favorite sports/teams (ESPN ScoreCenter)
    Google all those "I wonder" thoughts
    An occasional game

-ArtificialGrape

19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

The average smartphone user uses their smartphone to do just about everything.

Except making calls.

:rofl::rofl:

20. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

T-Mobile is the way to go. Why?

Because they are investing $4 billion to implement LTE, and their network - due to be completed by the end of 2013 - will use the newer and faster HSPA+ technology, offering speeds up to 42mbps, something the current carriers can't do because of their heavy investment in older, slower (max 16mbps) WCDMA protocols that can't be upgraded to HSPA+.

You can buy a 4G phone today that can be upgraded to HPSA+ LTE when it rolls out. And if you go with Verizon, you may have to wait a few more years for them to invest in even newer LTE-Ultra infrastructure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012